Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
Civilized community?.......wth? Outdoor shooting and hunting....... as apposed to indoor hunting?

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
We have 2-4, and are very fortunate that item 1 plus the wind scares most people away.

Will most likely be there in about 9 1/2 years.

I look forward to meeting you.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Texas sucks,so don't consider moving here.

I didn't know that "Texas sucks" until I read about it on here.

Do you really want more yankees in Texas?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm looking into NE TN but I don't know about civilized.There are some nice folks but I'm pretty much backwoods myself.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am looking for an online quiz. Here is one that I found:

http://www.bestplaces.net/
Here are the results that it found for me.
"Your Best Moves

We've found the 10 areas that most closely match your preferences. Click on the links below to start learning more about them.

1. Yuba City, CA

2. Santa Ana-Anaheim-Irvine, CA

3. Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, CA

4. San Luis Obispo-Paso Robles, CA

5. Santa Barbara-Santa Maria, CA

6. Honolulu, HI

7. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, CA

8. San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA

9. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA

10. Chico, CA

The results are not what I want.

I need a better poll site.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
You seem like a California kinda guy to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
try eastern nc wilmongton has fishing , some plublic hunting, its a college town so you got a theater group and some culture and a rather large retired community, with hospitaldown town and close to the beaches and shopping in south carolina plus golf for the duffers

Sweltering , miserable , hot , humid summers. Mosquitoes , yellow flies , ticks , & other assorted pestulance.

Yes , eastern NC is a paradise.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mountain Home, Arkansas

Look it up, you'll love it.

It's my fall back location if my primary spot changes too much over the next couple of decades.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another spot to consider...

Lewiston, Idaho

Heavenly opportunity at the bottom of Hells Canyon

Leading Appeals: Glorious diversity of opportunity, from smallmouth bass and white sturgeon to 9 feet in the Snake River to strong runs of magnum steelhead in the Clearwater. On the terrestrial side, black bear, elk and deer (both whitetails and muleys) dominate hunting, turkeys are everywhere up the Clearwater and pheasants are numerous in the Palouse region to the north.

Population: 31,293

Median Home Price: $144,700

Amenities: With five boat ramps located right in town, the sunniest city in the Pacific Northwest is also one of the most angler-friendly. Easy access to big game in National Forests in Oregon, Washington and Idaho.

Bottom Line: Steelhead dominate the headlines but hunting for upland birds- chukar, pheasant and grouse and quail- is terrific.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
another...

Pocatello, Idaho

College town with a trout bum's soul

Leading Appeals: Easy drive to elk, mule deer and waterfowl hunting, plus trophy trout in the spring creeks of the Fort Hall Indian Reservation. American Falls Reservoir- the largest reservoir in Idaho- offers a neglected perch fishery and football- size rainbows. The Portneuf River right in Pocatello allows residents to catch a trout after work.

Population: 53,932

Median Home Price: $96,700

Amenities: Location at the hub of interstates 86 and 15- about halfway between Yellowstone Park and Salt Lake City- provides easy access to the West. Idaho State University swells the population, and enriches the arts and nightlife.

Bottom Line: This is the ultimate grown-up trout town. You can raise a family and hold a job without reducing your days on the water.

Draw a 20-mile circle around Pocatello and inside the radius you'll find high-country elk, trophy mule deer and one of the greatest concentrations of wintering geese in the West.

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
We've been going through the same deliberations for sometime, as we plan on retiring at the end of this year. We can't seem to find a place - the kids and grand kids plan to move and we know we just cant keep following them. Perhaps we'll just stay in the Northern Virginia area.

It is expensive,but has a lot of benefits.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, Northern VA is great, if it weren't so expensive. Too close to D.C. for my likes.

I have been sworn to secrecy as to my future location by a few members here that would like to keep the riffraff out.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boise, ID
Denver, CO
Colorado Springs, CO
Albuquerque, NM
NW Arkansas
Oklahoma City, OK
Wichita, KS

I could rattle off a lot of places, but you need to list more factors. How are you receiving retirement income? Tax laws would play a big role in my decision. So would the type of outdoor activities that I enjoy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Savage_99
Suggest a retirement location quiz link that will find us.

1. Warmer climate than New England.
2. Outdoor shooting and hunting.
3. Nearby health care (seniors).
4. Civilized community.

I am thinking more of the south west at the moment.
Almost everyone from here moves to Florida.

4. Civilized community.

Your problem finding one and growing by the day. Too many uncivilized predators, on the prowl for people just like you... old and defenseless, they think you are an easy target.

Good places don't stay good for long.

I would chose somewhere in the rural Smokies if doing it over. Think I'd make the hillbilly transformation just fine smile

Geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"The results are not what I want."

What?

You have completely ruled out #50 and the left coast?

How will they ever TAX THE EVER-LOVING life out of you if you don't move there?

Think of the transfer to California as a chance to be Ms-Represented by Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein. Embrace the trees. Hug the mountain lions. Buy the condors some environmentally friendly bullets.

Isn't California the state that cautions folks that fumes from vehicles, business, industry and shooting may harm unborn children?

Yes, you need to ask someone else.
Good luck.

And yes again, the southwestern states are a great area for retirement, but everything is a trade-off, especially between culture (population + sophistication) and hunting/fishing opportunities. Colorado was fine until about 1990. Utah has some possibilities that I did not explore. Texas is privately owned land with good heritage if you can afford to own or lease some property. Nevada is plenty remote, but culture is a little limited. Arizona and New Mexico are my favorites, but YMMV. California and Hawaii did not even appear on my radar, something about being too far out.

Go look--for your sake, not for the benefit of the Chambers of Commerce. Be a tourist and explore, get acquainted with the places that you think you might like.

PM me if you are going to get through southern NM.

Leave your guns at home if you tour California.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stay out Wyoming at all costs, you will not be happy here. Winters are long and cold, they start about the 20th of August and last until around the 1st of June. Summer is usually the 7th of July and maybe the morning of the 8th. The wind blows incessantly, 24-7, a calm day is when you can keep your hat on your head without a chin strap. There are no cultural events like cello recitals, gay poetry readings or book signings by liberal activist movie stars. This is due to the fact the natives HAVE no culture, they are all a bunch of beer swilling, tobacco spitting, gun toting ignorant rednecks to whom getting dressed to go out to dinner means a clean pair of jeans and a shirt that's been ironed , and never mind the cow manure on the boots. We have been "discovered" by Californians, refugees from Seattle and Portland, along with a whole herd of citified folks from Back East. This has driven real estate prices out of sight, I just last week saw a 1/4 acre lot with an outhouse and a wall tent go for $350,000. Fishing and hunting truely suck, you cant wet a line or walk in the woods without getting run over by a 4-wheeler with a Colorado license plate. The wolves have eaten all the elk, deer and moose so dont even think about it.
No, better you should go to Montana, I hear it's real nice up there.

[Linked Image]

wink

Last edited by jnyork; 05/10/12.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hunting and fishing suck in Arizona, please go to California, it would fit you more...Preferably the San Jose area...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Another spot to consider...

Lewiston, Idaho

Heavenly opportunity at the bottom of Hells Canyon

Leading Appeals: Glorious diversity of opportunity, from smallmouth bass and white sturgeon to 9 feet in the Snake River to strong runs of magnum steelhead in the Clearwater. On the terrestrial side, black bear, elk and deer (both whitetails and muleys) dominate hunting, turkeys are everywhere up the Clearwater and pheasants are numerous in the Palouse region to the north.

Population: 31,293

Median Home Price: $144,700

Amenities: With five boat ramps located right in town, the sunniest city in the Pacific Northwest is also one of the most angler-friendly. Easy access to big game in National Forests in Oregon, Washington and Idaho.

Bottom Line: Steelhead dominate the headlines but hunting for upland birds- chukar, pheasant and grouse and quail- is terrific.

AGAIN,
Stop it!!!! RockChucks advice was SPOT ON. South Idaho is where it is AT.
North Idaho is HORRIBLE, despite what you have mentioned for perks. South Idaho is WONDERFUL. Move there. grin

It is HORRIBLE and smells like a pulp mill, 24/7 365.
Between the fire and all the rags constantly ranking it in the top 5 for sportsman, I am going to blow a gasket.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On a more serious note, Idaho is not that retiree friendly.
Lots of folks move from Lewiston to Clarkston Wa. (across the Snake River) when they retire. (No state income tax)

Have Dog

Will Travel

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Arkansas..the home of the common sense folks. bought a place near Hardy. Gonna buy me a confederate flag and move there in 16 months.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (12344mag, 204guy, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 1234, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,813
Posts18,516,549
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.