Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I'm very seriously thinking about picking up a SL5, but there are two things that concern me about the shelter:

First, my wife and I use a double sleeping bag when we camp; is there room between the center pole and the wall of the tent for two people?

Second, I have looked at a 9' by 9' area, and have come to the conclusion that the footprint is HUGE. Does anyone with the tent run into problems finding a site that will work for such a large shelter?

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Anton
There is room for a double bag between the pole and the side. Plus, you can angle the pole away from the center for even more room. It is a large footprint. In thick trees, it would be hard to find a spot to pitch it. If there is any open areas, you should not have a problem.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is room for two betwen center pole and wall. Alaskalanche seems to use that setup a lot. Personally, it wouldn't be my first choice and the only way my wife would be happy with that setup is if she was next to the pole and I was the one wedged into the corner with the wall on top of me.

It's a higher price point, but the Seekoutside BCS (with optional panel) provides a much better place for two people to sleep side by side without one of them being wedged into a corner. The Kifaru Sawtooth (even more money yet) might also provide that same "two people side by side" function. I haven't spent enough time in one to know for sure.

I guess footprint is relative, and has a lot to do with where you are pitching camp. Never had a problem finding a spot to put the SL4/5.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
you can hang it from a branch or a line between two trees or lash a tripod and hang it from that and not use a pole.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by evanhill
There is room for two betwen center pole and wall. Alaskalanche seems to use that setup a lot. Personally, it wouldn't be my first choice and the only way my wife would be happy with that setup is if she was next to the pole and I was the one wedged into the corner with the wall on top of me.

It's a higher price point, but the Seekoutside BCS (with optional panel) provides a much better place for two people to sleep side by side without one of them being wedged into a corner. The Kifaru Sawtooth (even more money yet) might also provide that same "two people side by side" function. I haven't spent enough time in one to know for sure.

I guess footprint is relative, and has a lot to do with where you are pitching camp. Never had a problem finding a spot to put the SL4/5.

After using nests in both the BCS (with optional panel) and SL5, if you are using a double bag in there you'll be wedged in regardless of the shelter you are using. The nests only have one door so no matter what one person (always me wink ) is elected to sleep on the side away from the door. The shape/design of the nests are the reason for this, not the shelter design itself. If not using a nest then its just as easy to get in and out of either with a double bag.

For me the SL5 beats the BCS for space/weight, quickness of setup and price point. The BCS beats the SL5 for stoving options and standing height.

The Sawtooth is simple overkill for my uses for a two person backpacking shelter. Rarely is using a stove an option for me on most of my trips so the BCS and Sawtooth don't make a lot of sense for me. But for those where trees go above 10000 ft not 2000 ft stoves are a great option.

All shelters mentioned require a decent footprint space but I haven't found myself handicapped ever due to the size of the foot print of either shelter.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, good point on the nest being a constraining factor. For where I go and what I like to do, the nest doesn't make the cut.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't mean to hijack, but I just have a couple of questions regarding the SL5 too. I would like to know the max interior height, and the dimensions with and without the nest.
I recently traded out of my canvas tent into a small travel trailer, but would like to get something lightweight and roomy for when I want to go where the trailer wont go.
Thanks,
johnny

No Farmers---No Food
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by evanhill
Yeah, good point on the nest being a constraining factor. For where I go and what I like to do, the nest doesn't make the cut.

I hear ya there. I like to roll w/o the nest when my wife isn't going, just saying that the shelter isn't the reason for the limiting factor like you stated thats all.

Where do you go that a nest doesn't cut it? Not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying you just prefer no nest or you actually camp in environments that the nest isn't up to the task to work for ya?

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Well, I went to the GoLite store today and pulled the trigger on the SL5. Thanks for all of your input and answers to my questions. BTW, because of the way that my Komperdell trekking poles adjust I plan to use the tubular webbing/velcro method (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=17864) of linking them for my center pole.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Flattop Johnny: If you go to the GoLite website and start a chat session they can help you with any of your questions about weight, dimensions, etc.

Last edited by Anton_Chigurh; 05/14/12.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Anton..appreciate that...I'm leaning towards the SL5 myself due to the fact of being able to convert it with the nest and all.
thanks,
johnny

Last edited by flattop_johnny; 05/14/12.

No Farmers---No Food
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Just checked the GoLite site and it looks like the SL5 is out of stock. What seethe odds of them offering more at 50% off.

Ready, Fire, Aim
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by hwgtyd
Just checked the GoLite site and it looks like the SL5 is out of stock. What seethe odds of them offering more at 50% off.

I don't know. Some of the other items like the poncho shelter went out of stock very early and never came back.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I emailed them about when /if they are going to restock the SL5 and their response was the SL-5 is in stock the online program has a glitch that shows out of stock and to order it by phone.

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just ordered a SL5 online and already received the confirmation via email.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Alaskalanche, I meant that a nest doesn't make the weight cut in low bug environments. Even in high bug environments, it's a stretch for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear ya there. Certainly if going solo or with another guy then bivies inside the tipi at 6 oz are what I use at times of high bugs at 6 oz its worth it. However, when going with the wife the 14 oz is just 2 oz more than two bivies so its worth the weight sacrifice.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I hear ya there. Certainly if going solo or with another guy then bivies inside the tipi at 6 oz are what I use at times of high bugs at 6 oz its worth it. However, when going with the wife the 14 oz is just 2 oz more than two bivies so its worth the weight sacrifice.

Luke,

Did you go with the net hood or the net window with your TiGoat Ptarmigan?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I ordered my SL5 on the 9th and it came yesterday. I'll be sealing the seams this weekend and upgrading the stakes.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, but with the option to seal up completely with tne DWR material over the top of the net window.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 22250rem, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 260Remguy, 60 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,041
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.