-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After hearing all this I think I would just buy the 308Win family of cartrdges in the Sako 85.

Taking my rifle for a walk
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And the WSM's wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And 204, 222, 223 & 22-250 ......LOL wink

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

no no no the 260 is the shizzle today.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Removed the hot air from when you were venting. Your timeline as you described your experience with Beretta USA so it is easy for everyone to follow. They sure were quick at honoring your "either or" demand for a refund. Don't think I've ever heard of such a quick positive response from any other gun company. Probably one of the reasons why Sako rifles are so popular and respected the world over with such a huge number of fans smile

Originally Posted by Gramps2

04/24/12 - I would like to hear from Sako 85 owners that have had ejection problems (case hitting bottom of scope) with their rifles. Especially those that have been sent back to Beretta or one of their outsourced authorized repair dealers.

04/25/12 - Thanks for listening to me vent guys, gonna have some breakfast, then take on Beretta.

04/25/12 - Heard back from Beretta today. Their fix was to slide scope fore and aft until "right position" for ejection is found. What I found is this fix only makes it hit my scope with the very edge of the case mouth, or it hits my scope with the shoulder of the case. Let Beretta know this afternoon that this did not solve problem, and that I wanted gun fixed right, another gun, or my money refunded.

05/03/12 - Shipped my 85 Sako Finnlight to Beretta USA in Md. this morning. Yesterday I was actually able to talk to a former jarhead like myself, which made me feel somewhat more optimistic.

05/16/12 - Got a call from Beretta USA this morning. Very nice young lady informed me that I would be receiving a check for the price I paid for my 85 Finnlight ST .270 Win. Can't ask for more than that.

Everyone have a great day!

G2

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Followed this thread and hoped my new .300WSM Finnlight would not have this problem. It does? Called Stoeger Tech support here in Canada and the person I spoke to was supposedly unaware of this ejection issue. His suggestion is that I need to cycle the bolt back harder. I tried and this did not help.

I am using Sako extra low mounts and a Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5X10, 40 mm scope. I am going to try Sako Medium mounts and hopefully this solves the problem. I took off the scope and it does ejects reliably - albeit, some ejection is "better" then others even with the same apparent amount of force.

My question - has anyone found other solutions other than new rings - in Canada, these new rings will set me back $114 (exclude pricey shipping - I live in the Arctic)? Thanks.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The only other thing I can think of would be replace extractor spring or at least disassemble the extractor/spring and lube it.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L

Well, I read this whole topic and unfortunately, my Sako 85 Classic in 30-06 caliber have problems in ejecting unloaded brass.

It will hit the scope (Leupold VX-6 2-12X on ExtraLow Optilock rings) everytime.

Once in a while the brass slips the extractor and is left on top of the magazine.

And once in a while the brass ejecting hits the action just bellow the ejection port at right side (the metal betwen the ejection port and the bolt handle), leaving a ding on the beautifull Cerakote finish Kampfeld did for me.

Until now, I have fired it about 80 times and at least on 1/3 or 1/4 of the time, the brass will not eject.

I have to test with a Low ring (mine is ExtraLow optilock), but today I made a few tests with Lapua and Winchester brass.
It seems that the problem is worst on Lapua brass (1/3 to 1/4 of times it fte) than Winchester brass (about 1/10 to 1/15 fte).
Looking closely at the brass I can see that the part where the ejector grabs the brass is bigger on Lapua than Winchester brass...

May be, combined with a weak extractor spring, this plays a big part on the ejector failures.

On my Sako 85 .375 H&H I did not experienced any issues (but I shot it only about 12 times until today).

So, I have a couple of questions:

1- What would be the proper way to disassembly the Extractor on a Sako 85 rifle? Any video?

2- Would a replacement Sako extractor (like Tubb or Harris gunworks) cure these problems, or at least increase realiability?
I measure my Sako extractor and it is 0,209 inches wide.

Thanks for any help,

LRCampos.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've made the same observation as LRCampos - except with A-zoom Snap Cap bullets. These eject flawlessly everytime. The place where the ejector grabs the brass (rim???) is much "thinner" on the A-zoom snap caps than the Winchester brass.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LRCampos

1- What would be the proper way to disassembly the Extractor on a Sako 85 rifle? Any video?

2- Would a replacement Sako extractor (like Tubb or Harris gunworks) cure these problems, or at least increase realiability?
I measure my Sako extractor and it is 0,209 inches wide.

1 http://www.berettausa.com/products/sako-cocking-wrench-fo-85-series/

2 Any capable gunsmith should be able to modify/tune your current extractor.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gramps2
Good Afternoon,

I would like to hear from Sako 85 owners that have had ejection problems (case hitting bottom of scope) with their rifles. Especially those that have been sent back to Beretta or one of their outsourced authorized repair dealers. If you had one repaired I would like to know just how they repaired what I consider to be a major design flaw(ejector at 6 o'clock position). As you guys can probably tell, I have just about had it with Beretta, Sako, and this expensive non-functioning rifle.

Thanks much,

G2

My question is what the hell did you do with your extreme weather??? Were you having problems with it too.......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What I can't figure out is why anyone would want to own one of these rifles?

Better ways to spend time than twisting one's self into knots trying to correct a faulty design..(sounds like the angle of ejection is wrong.How this is solved by having the extractor grab less of the rim I have no idea).

When enough people stop buying the things,Sako will screw its' head on straight and redesign it.

I wouldn't own one for 5 minutes before it would be down the road if it behaved as described.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bob, I was looking at a Tikka the other day and I believe it has the same design. The first thought that crossed my mind was, "hmmmm does it throw the brass up into the scope, nah too many guys love these things for it to be a bad design flaw like that"....Or was my first thought, "damn this thing is smoooooooth!!!!!, what a slick action"....Weird place to put an extractor though....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA brings up a good point. Do the Tikka's or Sako A7's have the same issue?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Tikka T3 and a Sako A7, both in 7mm-08. No extraction problems. Both using DNZ Game Reaper low mounts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just looked the Tikka's and A7 use a plunger-style ejector rather than the fixed blade of the 85. The plunger is located near the 3 O'clock position rather than 6 O'clock.

No hijack intended, BTW, just wondering why one line of the Sako family seems to have issues.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a stainless A7 in 300wsm. It does not eject properly but I have not yet contacted Beretta about it. I used it last year on a sheep hunt and had to pluck empty cases out with my finger. I got a nice ram but I am not happy with the ejection problem. I knew the ejection was week before I took it hunting but didn't have time to start over with a different rifle. the rifle is very accurate but if I can't get it ejecting properly it will have to hit the road.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I also have an A7 .300WSM Stainless, with the same issues. I've gone to high rings with a Leupold scope due to their lower/flatter windage caps, and now it works right about 95% of the time. Problem is, the scope is higher than I'd like it. I have a T3 in .270 that has had no problems. The difference is that the T3 has a closed top on their actions, while the A7 is open. That will obviously affect ejection.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by BobinNH
What I can't figure out is why anyone would want to own one of these rifles?

Better ways to spend time than twisting one's self into knots trying to correct a faulty design..(sounds like the angle of ejection is wrong.How this is solved by having the extractor grab less of the rim I have no idea).

When enough people stop buying the things,Sako will screw its' head on straight and redesign it.

I wouldn't own one for 5 minutes before it would be down the road if it behaved as described.

I own/owned several with out any problems but I like the optilock rings/bases.

Show me another rifle for $1000-$1200 that you can buy that has a good trigger and most will punch three shots between .3-.7.

I like to trade guns and have owned most brands in several makes, model and calibers. I have never had any other factory rifles run with a Sako. Tikka and CZ are good but they are not Sako's.

I have hade piles of model 70's and 700's but very few would would put three shots near .5.

Dink

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
So is this a problem when you use tally rings only ?

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (06hunter59, 160user, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,518
Posts18,472,519
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.