-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I was to the point where I figured you guys were just dreaming up the idea that 1899s in decent shape actually existed. grin

At the risk of jinxing myself I can't wait any longer to spill the beans. There is an 1899 A short rifle from 1928 about to be carted off from the maritimes to go clear across the continent, well almost to its new home.

Dies and brass are ordered, all that's left is the waiting. whistle

A person can see Blair's display at the Calgary show only so many times before he either gives up or saves enough to get a nice one. Been holding out for a long time so hopefully this one is good as advertised.

This short rifle has had the rear leaf sight removed and what I would guess a Redfield peep put on the tang.
What would be the proper rear sight? The long leaf that my beater C from 1907 wears or a shorter style?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if its a 1928, probably not the long rear sight. Actually, if its a 1928, then its not a 1899A SR but rather a 99E. I would guess the original sight if it is an 99E would be a flat top sporting rear.

Other's here may have better info for ya. What caliber is it in? Looking forward to seeing some pictures! There are a few guys around here that really love the 99E.

Andrew
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
"There are a few guys around here that really love the 99E."
To whom would you be refering, Drew?
I can't wait to see it!

Brian

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't think Drew is thinking of me as I've never mentioned my admiration for the M99E. However, truth be told, I would love to have a 99E collection match what I have in 99H's wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brian is being a little tongue and cheek... speaking of... its good to see you around Brian... where you been hiding? Baseball????

Brian and Randy (99Guy) are both die hard 99E fans! It is a graceful and classic 99... trim without being a carbine. Lightweight. Nice lines. Hard not to like.

Andrew
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Sorry guys I got ahead of myself, it is a 99 lightweight.
Likely won't be here for ten days or so but I will get some pics up when she arrives. 22" barrel, straight grip, other details evade me right now.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sounds like a beauty!
Yes, I'm a sucker for a nice 99E. I definately need a few more, but nice ones don't pop up very often. I believe Pizza Mike has a few, too. He usually beats me at the auction game.

Brian

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pizza Mike, there's another guy that I have not seen around here in quite a while!!

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovemy99

Brian and Randy (99Guy) are both die hard 99E fans! It is a graceful and classic 99... trim without being a carbine. Lightweight. Nice lines. Hard not to like.

Let's be clear that we are talking about pre-war E's here. grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Supersporter40
Sorry guys I got ahead of myself, it is a 99 lightweight.
Likely won't be here for ten days or so but I will get some pics up when she arrives. 22" barrel, straight grip, other details evade me right now.

If it's a takedown probably an F and solid frame probably an E. Both were classified as "Lightweights" Definately not a 300 with the 22" tube

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
It is solid frame.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E.

Caliber?

Any extra holes in it?

Pics?

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One last dumb question.

Shotgun buttplate or crescent ?

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Cal is 303, no extra holes and shotgun butt.
No cracks or repairs.
Don't have any pics to post yet. Sorry!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Cal is 303, no extra holes and shotgun butt.
No cracks or repairs.
Don't have any pics to post yet. Sorry!

Reason I asked about the butt plate was I was thinkin could have possibly been an A with a cut barrel. What you have there is definately an E.

Envious.

Last edited by 99guy; 05/12/12.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I was very clear with him no bubba guns allowed, can't quite remember but I think the front sight is an integral ramp jobby so that should be a good sign the barrel is still full length.
Are the E's that hard to come by? Seems strange to be envied here when it's been me feeling that way when I looked here for the last seven years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Are the E's that hard to come by?

Yep. Specially ones that haven't been messed with.

K's and G's are way more common.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2 years ago i picked up 2 Es at the Calgary show ,30-30 and 303,both in exelent shape,one came from B.C. other Manitoba,they now live together blush

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (257wthbylover, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 1,755 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,117
Posts18,522,844
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.