Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 32 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 31 32
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jpb
:)Damn, I sure wish I could join you -- I can tell I'd get along with you guys! John

OK Guys, we got another one fooled. Reel him in. Wonder if jpb knows what happened to the last visitor from up North who thought that !

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
� Do you Skype? Perhaps (given good cell phone coverage) we can place a Skype video call from the Gathering so you can at least join in via cyberspace!

What's Skype?

Could we perhaps have something like a Skype station set-up, so that curious far-flung absentees can schmooze with the specific renegades whom they're curious about?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DARBY
I suppose I should reply here before things get too deep. Thanks for the kind words, folks.

First a disclaimer - Ken, that cannot be a picture of me. I am surely not that old. �

Ha!

Now there's "gratitude" for you! �

� the "thanks" that I get for not telling everybody that the date on that photo is 1982!

"Good enough" isn't.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
� Do you Skype? Perhaps (given good cell phone coverage) we can place a Skype video call from the Gathering so you can at least join in via cyberspace!

What's Skype?

Could we perhaps have something like a Skype station set-up, so that curious far-flung absentees can schmooze with the specific renegades whom they're curious about?

Skype is a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) program for your computer or smartphone (I know, your phone is so dumb it only makes and receives calls... laugh ) and allows video calls that Dick Tracy could only dream about. Both parties have to have Skype loaded onto their computers. Skype basic is free and allows audio and video calls to one person at a time, while Skype Premium allows video conference calls.

Both plans allow you to buy call time so you can make audio-only calls to cell phones and landlines. The call quality greatly exceeds that of a cellphone when you have a good computer connection. Plus, it currently costs $0.023 (2.3 cents) per minute to make long distance calls to Europe, Canada, and anywhere in the US.

I use it to train folks and troubleshoot gear, as well as seeing how much my grandsons, nieces, and nephews have grown. grin

I have had as many as four video calls going at once in conference call mode, but it really sucks bandwidth! A cellular IP connection might not be able to handle that kind of load, so one at a time would be best.

The major danger to using Skype is to remember how you are dressed (or not dressed, as the case may be grin ) before choosing to answer a call in either audio-only or a video call.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As I recall, we didn't have cell phone service or access to a wireless router out at the lake, but a lot can change in a year. Maybe one of the travel trailers will have a satellite hookup by now, but I wouldn't count on it. The guys at the gathering last year were the kind that don't want those gizmos around--makes it too easy to google factual information to counter the usual BS!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Well folks, for me, the latest update for the Quemado gathering is this:

I am scrambling to get my doodo in a group and will try and sell some brass and a few other things to try and finance this mission. While I can make no promise I am sure to keep, I will dang sure TRY to make it happen.

I had the fortune of obtaining tickets to one of my (kinda don't care for the term) "bucket list" concerts, front row, center orchestra/pit section that I have had pleasant dreams of for more than a decade. Likely don't have too many more concert going experiences left in me so I have to go where the opportunity presents itself. Anyway, that is a factor in attending the Quemado gathering.

Last night, I resized about 600 30-30 (on a single stage press no less) and hope to bring Marvin the Wonder rifle (An old Marlin 336 30-30) and perhaps a 1895 Marlin 45-70 (also a handi rifle 45-70 barrel to sell/trade for a 30-06 for the same), likely my 44 mag Marlin 1894 and if ammo permits a pistol or 2 to share with for all who wish to play.

I REALLY would like to meet so many of the folks (Ken, Safariman and a host of several others) that have taken the time to so warmly invite me to this shindig.

The last few years has been not too pleasant but I am not whining, quite the opposite, as I seldom explain, the difference between explanation and excuse is but merely one's point of view.

If able to attend this year, I am planning on bringing a tent and camping kit but am not sure of the temps and conditions in mid July. Being a little differently able, but reasonably mobile, I'd appreciate advise on needed kit, climatic conditions and necessary accoutrements appropriate for comfort in the area. BTW I LIKE cold but reckon NM in the summer, even at altitude, is more than that.

Also would like to bring my road bicycle to burn some cal's to offset the inevitable preponderance of vittles.

Should Fortuna smile and I am blessed to be able to come to the gathering, I will bring a chili kit or 2 + some Pa venison from the last deer I had the privilege of harvesting (a humbling experience, spiritually).

Thoughts of sundries needed to keep in reserve would be appreciated as I prefer to arrive with an abundance of things to share for those that run low on whatever.

Being as I have pretty much stopped selling brass now due to circumstances beyond my control, I will bring the last of my stuff for trade/freebies and do have some oddball brass and stuff that are welcome to be given a new home as I like to see stuff reused by those that need/or can use it.

I'd like a chance to thank those who have taken the time to invite me to this event and sincerely hope it works out that I can attend. I have vacillated in the past about attending but my desire and curiosity to meet the quality of folk I have communicated with is something that is greatly looked forward to. Wish the distances were smaller to visit folks of generally like mind.

Be safe all, and do take the time daily to enjoy the life we are blessed with.

Patty

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Patty,

Hope you can make it. Nights at that elevation are cool and dry--a light sleeping bag will be just right. Daytime, shorts and a tee-shirt are just right if you have a light jacket for early mornings and late evenings. You can burn a lot of calories on a road bike--traffic is light, even by rural New Mexico standards.

Everyone brings food, and Kent and a few strays have to stay over an extra day or two, just to chow down on the leftovers. My lovely bride will be in Costa Rica, but she has promised to prepare a large batch of her green chile burritos for me to bring.

Don't know what I will be bringing to shoot, but I shot up way more of other people's ammo last year, as opposed to my own. I will try to hold up my own a little better this year. Never been in a more congenial and knowledgeable group of outdoors men and women--and that's saying a lot at my age and stage. And, then, there is Ken Howell--how often do you get to hobnob with a true legend!

Hope to see you there!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Mudhen:

Thanx for the info. I am kitted for +60 to -10 and am really looking forward to meeting friends that I simply haven't hat the pleasure of seeing F2F as of yet. I am scrambling to get my stuff together and post a few ads in the coming weeks. Have hopes of a new carry piece and of course all are welcome for durability testing (need 200-300+ rounds with no ftf's, jMS ETC... no cleaning or babying, minimum for a carry piece)...

Given a shower every day or so for civility, I am pretty low maintenance and love to sling lead, tell stories but better yet, listen to others feats of daring do and accomplishments. Please do introduce your self If we happen to meet...

I usually do 30 to 40 miles daily on a road bike (kills my back,neck) but life is tough and it is the only form of exercise I have found that doesn't absolutely KILL my knees. I reckon the altitude will lessen that significantly as I am at but 1350MSL presently.

Thank you again for the tips and please be safe. About to ask the creator for my worthiness to go for a much needed "in the blind" vacation.

Ken ad Safariman have been a wealth of knowledge and kindness of invite and I am SO looking forward to making their acquaintance as with others such as yourself on this years foray. Scrounging for an appropriate pass me down for someone that has done so much, I am impressed by the sheer FEELING of quality I get from folks posting about the GTG. I feel like a rube, noob and am praying that circumstances permit my attending.

Be safe
Patty
Patty

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a humongous Timberjack Quallofil sleeping bag � free for the using or taking � that's rated, IIRC, down to -40�. It's good for sleeping on. Might still have a couple of sleeping pads. Nights here will be chilly all right, but nobody needs to be afraid of getting cold, and nobody has to dread sleeping outside.

Nobody has reserved the available bed space here yet, either. I have two good ones � a double in one room and a single in another. And plenty of floor space for pallets and sleeping bags.

Not a square foot designated for anybody yet.

I don't use my shower (can't), but it's open to all at any hour, day or night (one at a time!) of course.

Got hot here today � low to mid-80�s.

"Good enough" isn't.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
It is looking like we will be able to make it this year! Maybe just breeze over for a day but looking more doable...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That's great news!

BTW, I hope you've had a wonderful birthday!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plus one on both counts!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks for the birthday wishes. Looking forward to seeing new and old friends!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too cool!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okie
It is looking like we will be able to make it this year! Maybe just breeze over for a day but looking more doable...

We'll letcha go after one day � but Teri stays for the whole thing! laugh

"Good enough" isn't.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by okie

We'll letcha go after one day � but Teri stays for the whole thing! laugh

grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I was fortunate enough to visit Ken last month and we took a ride down to Quemado Lake and surrounding area, scoping out campgrounds and shooting sites for the upcoming Gathering.

After conferring with Ken & CCCC (picking their brains) about possibilities and probabilities, there are two primary options;

1. Try to get as many of us into one campground at Quemado Lake, either Pinon ($10/day fee) or El Caso (free), and travel to another location to do any shooting.
Both of these campgrounds have vault-type toilets and a mix of tent & RV sites (no hookups), with 22 total sites at each of the campgrounds, with fire rings at every site. We would be ~ one mile from the Lake boat launch.
Pinon and El Caso Campground LINK
The downside to this option is that we may not have the campground to ourselves (every campground had several people camped there mid-week when we visited) and we will have to travel to prove our prowess with firearms. Or embarrass ourselves, whichever is appropriate.

2. Go to the Armijo Campground a couple of miles south of the lake, back in the National Forest, and pretty much have the place to ourselves. This campground has vault-type toilets, five fire rings, five picnic tables, and no dedicated RV sites
Armijo Campground LINK
We can shoot right there (but they don't want ATV's being used in the campground???) and Ken can do table dances to his heart's content without fear of being in next month's People magazine or on the cover of the Enquirer.
The downside to this campground is that we are ~eight miles (by road) from Quemado Lake for those who want to fish or play in the water.

There is a restaurant ("Snuffy's") just before you get to the lake on the Lake road that doubles as a small country store and has showers available ($3.00) for those who desire a semblance of civilization.

These options come with the same caveat; Fire danger status. If the folks there don't get rain, we may not be able to have open fires, drastically reducing the amount of mischief curdog4570 and I can get into, as well as curtailing the late night caterwauling and bug stomping (singing and dancing to some).

This is everyone's Gathering, I just did some research with help, and now would like feedback from the prospective attendees as to preferences, ideas, suggestions, alternatives, and anything I may have missed. Since I wasn't there for last year's Gathering, I KNOW that I have left out something important/valuable.

Ed

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I see no reason for the notion that we all have to settle-down in one spot to do only one thing. The distances between the several spots aren't great, but the variety is.

The crowd, I'm sure, will be most diverse, from
(a) those who'll be uncomfortable without good beds under 'em and solid roofs over 'em at night,
to
(b) those who'll be right at home sleeping on the ground under the stars or in the bed of a pick-up.

� In the wee burg of Quemado itself, the Largo Motel, the Largo caf�, and my house offer "civilized" accommodations for several people, and there's room in my yard for one, two, maybe three trailers.

� The campgrounds right at the lake, like public campgrounds everywhere, come with both assets and liabilities that come with crowds of strangers around you. Not so much, of course, the more remote Armijo campground a few short miles from the lake.

� Some will prefer to fish, more or less solo. Some will prefer to shoot in a group. Some will prefer to just sit around and hob-nob with old friends whom we've just met face-to-face for the first time.

� Some will come with their families, probably including both kids and dogs. Mom and Sis may not enjoy doing the same things that Dad and Junior do.

Variety we got. Weeks and months to do it all we ain't. There's no need for us all to settle on just one location or just one way to spend our brief time together.

Where we sleep, bathe, and eat is one thing to base our plans on.

What we do and where we do it is another.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice post, Ed. Should help get focus on optimum siting.

Only one comment - I do not know of any restrictions on use of ATVs at the campgrounds - at least not in the Armijo Springs site. Hunters, etc., use ATVs there all of the time. Did you uncover some announced restriction?

The BIG issue last year came with forest prohibition on open fires/outdoor cooking due to dry conditions. That is why we were were smack on gravel next to the lake and needed to travel to shoot. We did not feel comfortable displaying firearms and having them out and about in an area where "others" (with kids, etc) were rather close by. The event in SV was great in that respect - lots of show and tell.

We'll make that happen one way or another. If we don't get the normal July 1 rains and experience similar restrictions this year, we will be better prepared and do just fine by making some optional adjustments - more than one option there.

I like Ken's flexible thinking for those that choose to disperse, but my bias is that it has seemed more enjoyable when the celebrants are mainly on-site and involved with ongoing events and arising fun.

I am sure looking forward to seeing you all - putting faces and voices to the posts here.

Thanks again, Ed.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ken,

Once again, you are absolutely right. My concern was to find a spot where we could all congregate for the "gathering" part of the gathering, with the recognition that some folks are going to be lazy and not get up until 06:00AM, others will be early risers. grin

My other concern echoes Paul's on exhibiting firearms around others not in our group and the unwanted attention that may bring.

Paul, regarding ATV use in the campground, yes, there is a notation on the website for Armijo Campground about that.

For purely selfish reasons, I'm just trying to maximize the time we can all be together, realizing that some folks will be staying in Quemado, some in RV's, some in tents, and some off in the wilderness.

Just trying to get folks thinking about locations. The rest of it will fall together, whether we are all spending the night in the same place or not.

Ed

Page 18 of 32 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,306
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.