-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know the Medalist doesn't have checkering, but the description of the Carbelite say's "hand-placed layers of Kelvar and fiberglass over graphite" and " checkering on the grip and forend area". So what is the stock really like? I'm seeing all kinds of descriptions here.

Last edited by lastround; 05/07/12.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
HR IC

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Medalist has checkering on their website. I think they put aluminum bedding in stocks without checkering for a few manufacturers though...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Depends on which model medalist. My M700 version has checkering, my Tikka version does not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ti stocks have no checkering. I have a Medalist without checkering and a carbelite with checkering. I think they are they best bang for the buck out there. YMMV

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I ordered one of their ultra-light MR stocks a couple months ago. Very interested to get mitts on it. The rifle shoots extremely well in the laminate stock so I've got a fallback if there's issues.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just got an ultra-light in the mail the other day. Fit was good, a little clean-up in the barrel channel and it shoots well. Like I said before, if I had the money all of my stocks would be McMillans. Since I don't, the Bell and Carlsons work just fine.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The Medalist for a Mauser has classic lines, shadow cheek piece, checkering and Decelerator pad. It has aluminum bedding and is well made.

The Mark V Medalist has the Wby. shape and no checkering.

Both are nice stocks and at $217 wholesale thru Brownells, the Medalist is always available without a wait. Stocky's on line has them, but not always in stock. Brownells has the black color, only.

I have an Ed Brown Damara with light fill McM, much like an Edge. It's a real nice stock.

With the wait for McM and the extra cost, I like the B&C Medalist.

DF

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I picked up a couple B&C Medalist lately. One for a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle. Dropped in nice. Then I picked up a Medalist for a small ring mauser. Took me several days of grinding and filing on that aluminum block before I could get it to drop in right. But for the price they are a nice stock.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a Carbelite for a Ruger LH MK II as the options are limited for lefties. When I opened up the barrel channel I had to re mold with graphite cloth so it wouldn't just be glue over a sponge. It always seemed too floppy so I put in an aluminum bar but it was still soft through the action and grip.

Now I think I am going to put it back in a wood stock and wished I had skipped the learning curve.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Should have added, the Duramax fit quite well.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by lazydrifter
I picked up a couple B&C Medalist lately. One for a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle. Dropped in nice. Then I picked up a Medalist for a small ring mauser. Took me several days of grinding and filing on that aluminum block before I could get it to drop in right. But for the price they are a nice stock.

They do take some fitting. I use my Dremel a good bit, then skim bed. The final product isn't bad.

Not a drop in, for sure.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Originally Posted by Poodleshooter
Two main lines for B&C: carbelite injection molded,

Bell and Carlson does not offer an injection molded stock.They are all fiberglass stocks. The Carbelite does not have checkering or the aluminum bedding block

I stand corrected on the Carbelites-they are fiberglass layups per B&Cs catalog! Thank you for the correction.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ranger1
Just got an ultra-light in the mail the other day. Fit was good, a little clean-up in the barrel channel and it shoots well. Like I said before, if I had the money all of my stocks would be McMillans. Since I don't, the Bell and Carlsons work just fine.

Good to know. I assume there's a pressure point up there? I left the PP with my lammie stock since the rifle shoots so well with it in place.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
IIR there is no pressure point. The mauser stock I picked up was used and it already had the barrel channel opened up some. The Medalist I got for my Rem mountain rifle was the Alaskan and it was free floated the whole way with no pressure point.

Brant

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting! Well, we shall see.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I liked the feel of my factory Browning Stalker stock but it had flex and I learned later a poor fit. I replaced with a Ba nd C and at first missed the skinnier grip of the factory. It did not take long at all to warm up to the B and C and I love it now. Some folks with skill will reshape them. It weighed about the same a the factory stock but cut recoil way down. The rifle cycles better and is much, much, more accurate and repeatable. It dropped in without any tinkering needed -except that the trigger guard screw (non action one) is a little too short after the swap.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by ranger1

Good to know. I assume there's a pressure point up there? I left the PP with my lammie stock since the rifle shoots so well with it in place.

In my experience, the Medalist forearm is not as stiff as McM or HS Precision. Thus, a pressure point wouldn't be that consistent, IMHO. I free float and with these stocks, a larger gap is needed to keep the forearm from touching the barrel, especially when using a sling.

The Medalist on my Mark V .257 Wby. had a small free floating gap. I missed a 200 yd. shot at a doe, using a sling from a box blind. I went back to the range and the gun was printing dead on, as before. It was quite evident that the sling tension caused the stock to touch the barrel. I opened the gap such that the forearm wouldn't touch, even with a tight sling. With the McM, and HS, a small free float gap will work, because those stocks are much stiffer than the B&C Medalist. I'm not familiar with the other B&C stocks but would think the Medalist, with aluminum bedding, would be as stiff if not stiffer than the others.

Otherwise, I rate the B&C Medalist as very good, a lot of stock for the dollar. I find HS to be pretty heavy, although a solid stock. McM is the Cadillac, IMHO, but I don't like waiting and Brownell's has a good selection of B&C's in inventory, just a Brown truck ride from your location.

DF

F
F
Any of you guys buy the Maxxguard finish?

Do McMillan do a soft touch finish, i cant see one on their site?

I only work to hunt, I hunt to live, the family fits in and the dog is at my right hand.
I was a proud Dad the day my Son nailed a Buffalo with his first shot out of my 06 at 11yrs old.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Gravestone
What's your opinion on these? The reason i'm asking is,i want to buy a Winchester model70. I was looking at featherwieght but the wood stock leaves something to be desired. So i started to entertain the extreme weather.Just don't know much about B&C stocks.Opinoins are apreciated.....thanks.

You can buy a B&C, grow disgusted with it, and order a McMillan,
or,
you can buy a McMillan to begin with.
Your choice.

Lesson learned after buying two B&C Medalist stocks.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
F
F
2 issues with McMillian

no edge for the t3

and no soft touch, i would LOVE an A-bolt titanium in 338 win mag, cant get one so a T3 with a new stock is the next best IMO

I only work to hunt, I hunt to live, the family fits in and the dog is at my right hand.
I was a proud Dad the day my Son nailed a Buffalo with his first shot out of my 06 at 11yrs old.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 16penny, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,706
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.