Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
unfortunatly I have rifles and shotguns and handguns that #1 I dont use, #2 will never use, #3 wont sell.
Items that have been family pieces or I just like owning.
I have a 1980 DU dinner gun Weatherby centurionII thats got AAA walnut on it. Problem is that in 1980 it came Xfull choked fixed and you cant/ shouldnt shoot steel through an Xfull BBL. so what would I use it for? But I cant get rid of it.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ringworm
unfortunatly I have rifles and shotguns and handguns that #1 I dont use, #2 will never use, #3 wont sell.
Items that have been family pieces or I just like owning.

Ditto

I used to never sell anything and only really have regrets on one, but the last few years I've found it easier to let a few go and there's probably another 1/2 dozen I'll move.

There's 30-40 that won't be going anytime soon and there's a LOT of redundancy in that mix. Some I just plain like, some were passed down to me and and/or there's sentimental value.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Last time I checked, my firearms were not jealous of each other, and got along together just fine. I see no reason to cast any off. I can and do sell from time to time. Mostly as I just get bored with one, as something prettier comes along, and I no longer have interest in that one. During one deer season, I will use multiple rifles, I don't need to, I just do.

If a firearm sits in my safe for several years, and does not get used, it becomes a candidate for sale. And, 99% of the time, it's proceeds are used to buy another firearm..... I see no reason to change this approach. :-)

When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if I had any firearms with me. I said, "Well, what do you need?"
Steven Wright
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have done this in the past, thinned out the collection
because I needed money. But then you start making excuses to
buy other guns, its a vicious cycle and there is no cure.
We are here to support you.

you are speaking my life, here smile

thinned 'em out pretty good over the last year or two.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Whoever dies with the most toys wins. smile

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have WAY too many firearms and am considering selling off a few that I do not (nor do I intend to) shoot. Understand that I was born during the depression, survived WW II in a family with only a .22 single shot, and ammo was not always available for it.

To quote Dad, "I have had enough of the good old days, back in the good old days."

I could get by with three or four, but I do not intend to of my own free will. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"one 22 rimfire, one shotgun (ok maybe 2 if you wafterfowl & upland hunt), one deer rifle, one 22 pistol, and one home defense pistol?"

Could go there again, but won't.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I gave all of my firearms away to Homeland Security and the Democratic Party...so they could sell them and use the proceeds for some more important Welfare Crap....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

A
A
There must have some people will help you to solve this problem .Good luck.

Connecting People.Powering the would. smile
bullet lighter
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm going to throw a twist at you guys. My dad was a rifle loony and had a collection that my mother split up recently and now my gun safe is overflowing. Some of them are cool guns like a rifle he mailed home from Korea or his favorite deer rifle, but a lot of them are just guns he bought and there is no real connection there. Actually his remington 742 was his primary rifle and he told me NOT to buy one because they jam! Its a nice rifle and my dad's, but I love my "never Jam" ruger 77 and have a hard time even thinking about taking the 742 to the field because I have a prejudice from my dad.

Would you keep a gun just because it came from your dad even if there is no sentimental connection?
Would you keep a gun you wouldn't hunt with due to bad history (or a POS in general) just because your dad owned it?

HMM... opinions?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

My dad's rifle was a WWII Mauser 98 wuth the swastika on the action. It had been used hard and put away wet - stock was full of dents, dings, and chunks of wood missing, the rifling was sorta still there, the metal was bare and looked like an old tin can left out for fifty years. Now the rifle is a .416 Taylor, new stock (A Fajen that was forty years old and found at a gun show. It was a nightmare to glass bed but it got done.), new trigger, new safety, new barrel, mounted a scope an she will go to Africa in september - Yep, i kept it and everybtime I pick it up I can hear my dad's voice telling deer hunting stories.

Terry

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
humdinger, AI can top that one. I have a Gd IV BAR 7mm RM, that I inherited from a cousin. One of the few 7 Mags that I ever tried in a BAR that shoots decently. I an not likely to hunt with it, nor am I likely to sell it. I suppose the kids can profit from it after I am gone. We also have my bride's grandfather's and her father's guns. They are just memories to me, but that is reason enough to keep them. They are slated for the grandchildren, and will likely have no meaning to them, but we keep them. They do not eat, so......Best wishes, Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
G
G
Gotta have at least a compact 9mm in the mix. Of course a Glock 20SF in 10mm and an AR.

Yep, my answer is no

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I've done it and find myself doing it now...
But I'm trying not to grin
Working on building up after a reorganization/streamlining purge.
I'm ending up with better gear.
My knowledge and technology is better than it was 15-20 years ago when this all began.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by humdinger

Could you get your firearms collections to the minimum of one 22 rimfire, one shotgun (ok maybe 2 if you wafterfowl & upland hunt), one deer rifle, one 22 pistol, and one home defense pistol? Maybe allow one varmit/predator gun also.
Ideally a person could get down to a 22-shotgun-deer rifle.

You could keep a few for your kids or spouse hunting purposes, but keep it lean.

So could you do it? (or have done it)

I'm working on it....down from 57 total, not a lot by some standards, to 16 right now. I'm working on it....It's not easy!

Ed
F
F
Its not "He who dies with the most toys wins" its his kids.

Answer NO, Answer 2 WHY?

I have my grandfathers rifles, 303 from WW2 never handed back, his 22 and a 12ga, my collection grows every year, wife never quite knows what i have and the kids are smarter than to tell her, I have 14 Golf clubs so why not that or more in Rifles?

Oh ans when I go, daughter gets the 240 Weatherby (german made) and one more pick, son gets the rest, wife can get a job........

I only work to hunt, I hunt to live, the family fits in and the dog is at my right hand.
I was a proud Dad the day my Son nailed a Buffalo with his first shot out of my 06 at 11yrs old.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by humdinger

Would you keep a gun just because it came from your dad even if there is no sentimental connection?
Would you keep a gun you wouldn't hunt with due to bad history (or a POS in general) just because your dad owned it?

HMM... opinions?

Yes. Since Dad has never "handed down" a rifle yet, I've only the one he handed to me when I was 12: a 788 Remington. Folks here gush about them, but I never had any affinity for it. The stock is ugly & ungainly, the cheap box magazine rattles terribly, likes to get jammed in crooked, & sticks out so the sharp edges can scratch cars & furniture. The bolt wobbles a ton when cycled, and feeding is rough. On top of all that, it was a 2" shooter, on its very best day. And yet it will never leave me.

I won't part with a gift from the greatest man I've ever known. He might well say that I've been a "project" over the years, so that's how I view this rifle. After letting it languish in the gun cabinet for 25 or so years, I got it back out, and replaced the broken Tasco scope with a Vortex Viper. I sent the barreled action to Mickey Coleman who replaced the tomato-stake factory .243 barrel with a 7-08 Douglas model, and breathed on the trigger a bit, too. All of a sudden, she's quite a shooter. The stock will be headed to Karnis presently, to be recontoured into something more svelte and far more appealing.

Dad never gave up on me, and I'll never give up on that rifle. I dont know that I'll ever plan a Western hunt around it, but then again, I don't know that I won't.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 32 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.