Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Has anyone had any issues with Federal brass? I was resizing some 270 brass in my Redding dies tonight after it has been tumbled/cleaned and had three of them stick in the die. Two came out the third is still in there til I get a puller tomorrow. I use One Shot spray lube... powdered mica for the inside of the neck also. This is the first time I have used Federal brass. This was range pickup stuff. Normally I use Remington brass with no problems.

GB1

F
F
I have heard of folks have problems with One Shot causing cases to stick. Your brass should be fine.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've had no problems with Fed. I've read a lot of people complaining about primer pockets loosening quicker than other brass but I've never had it happen.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You should switch to crisco and tumble after they are resized/ deprimed.
I havent had a stuck case since the day i swiiched. No drying time. just a dab on the finger. seat the case in the shell holder and spin it between the thub and finger giving the case a light coat of crisco.
once every 4-5 cases i put a little bit on a case mouth and that lubes the expander button enough for the next 4 or so cases.
Dies need to be cleaned up with carb cleaner once your done, but thats simple enough.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used Federal WSM brass with no problems. But I use Imperial sizing die wax instead of one shot.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Try some Imperial Sizing Die Wax. I don't think the Federal brass is the problem.

μολὼν λαβέ
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Can't speak for others but I've had a primer pocket issue with Federal 7mm Rem and .270 Win. Bought 100 each as once fired and they appeared to be so. Can't give the exact number of junk cases but had several oversize primer pockets in each batch. One .270 case wouldn't even hold a primer and several were so loose I could push the primer back out with the little coffee stirer tube from a WD40 can. I'll not use anymore.

edit: Again, can't speak for others but the only problem I've had with One Shot I created myself. When setting the sizing die to shrink just the right amount of neck I handled the case too much without reapplying TWICE. The second time was the last time, I hope. Other than that it's super easy to use and works for me.

Last edited by shootem; 05/13/12.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The only issues I've ever had with Federal brass was with some .223 which was softer than the WW I'd been using. It didn't spring back quite as much after sizing and I wound up with excessive headspace that lead to case head separations. I never thought I'd need to have my FL die set up differently for a different brand of brass given it was to be fired in the same chamber. Oops.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
RE: One shot and Crisco...I had problems with One Shot as well and have stopped using it. I use the same technique as ringworm only using Lee's lanolin based lube. Never had a stuck case since.

"Living is hazardous to your health..."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
one shots drying time is too varied depending on humidty, elevation, time of year, moon phase.
I have no use for it. I have used the same can of crisco for 10 years.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I like to tumble the brass before sizing... especially range brass to clean it before messing up my dies ...scratching. I spray it with the one shot and then let it dry... size it then a quick 15 minute tumble to get the lube off the brass. Last night was a bit more humid and warmer than what it has been lately... I must of rushed it a bit before it dried. I used to use RCBS lube and pad but found that the one shot was quicker and easier to apply. I guess I found out quicker and easier isn't the best way to go.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cases get stuck in a sizer due to one thing; failure to properly lube the outside.

I gave OneShot one shot; emptied the can and tossed it; it cost a lot and added exactly nothing to my loading method. I normally apply a VERY THIN coat of Imperial or Unique (or a few other subsitutes) with the tips of my left thumb and fingers when I pick up each case for sizing. Lubing that way is clean, it takes takes virtually no time and I KNOW I've lubed the entire surface of every case so nothing sticks. I just wipe my fingers with a paper towel afterwards and I'm done.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What are you using inside the necks?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"What are you using inside the necks?"

I often use nothing inside, no case is going to get stuck in sizer because of a lack of lube inside the necks. The common idea of cases stretching due to expander drag is a myth, the thin necks will easily expand to let a dry expander out before the thicker shoulder brass will give way.

When I DO lube inside necks - and I sometimes do - it's usually with a bit of graphite added to a plastic pill bottle with a half inch of #9 bird shot; push the mouth of the case into the shot and withdraw it, inside is dry lubed. But, graphite IS messy so I keep a bottle of Windex handy to dampen the paper towel for cleaning both my fingers and the outside of the necks.

I also have and sometimes use the inexpensive MidwayUSA neck lube kit with plastic bore brushes and white Motor Mica. It's clean, but mica isn't quite as good a lube as graphite. Still, mica is really good enough.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Through testing I've found things go much smoother and with less runout with a wet lube in the necks. This is especially true with a typical 308 Win. FL die and thick Federal or Lapua brass when the die neck is built for thin WW cases.

It's a pain in the ass to remove, but it makes for better ammo. I've tried mica and Imperial dry lubes, but they haven't worked as well as a wet lube.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
So, if you use Hornady One Shot per the instructions (i.e. spray at a 45 degree angle to get it inside the case neck), how do you remove the lube fom the inside of the case neck?

What happens if you don't remove it from te inside of the case neck?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't use One Shot.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I do use the white motor mica on one out of every third or 4th case. My cases last night were stuck inside the die not because of the expander ball. The case was stuck when it was nearly all of the way inside the die at the top of the stroke. At that point the expander is basically just pushing out the spent primer. I tumble my brass again for about 15minutes after sizing to remove the sizing lube so that should remove any lube that has gotten inside the neck. I am going back to my RCBS lube and pad or try some Imperial sizing wax or Crisco like one person suggested.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Try some Imperial Sizing Die Wax. I don't think the Federal brass is the problem.
+1 on this. It generally is the lube or lack of lube used. I use imperial sizing die wax and Hornady One Shot. Only time I stuck a case was when there wasn't enough lube on the case. Never had a problem with Federal and shoot it in several calibers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
What are you using inside the necks?

Imperial Dry Neck Lube: http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=32854/Product/Imperial-Dry-Neck-Lube

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (117LBS, 12344mag, 007FJ, 17Hunter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,978
Posts18,480,844
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.