-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm going to Namibia for my first plains game trip on June 12th. It just dawned on me that I'm going to have to buy some type of plug adapter to charge stuff (my iPad). My question is what kind? I googled adapters for Namibia and got a myriad of options.

My second question is in regards to the tip. Is it acceptable to tip in U.S. dollars or should I convert dollars into Namibian currency?

Thanks

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
MB - my ph in Namibia had an adapter for me 2 use. Perhaps you can inquire if one is available where you are staying? As far as tipping..............my ph didn 't want me to tip staff directly, as they often have problems with them "disappearing" for a few days if given $$. Instead, we gave tip money directly to him and watched him record in a ledger who was to receive what. At the end of the year, the $$ would be distributed. Apparently, most of his workers had no concept of saving, and unless they utilized this "forced" savings plan, they would not have $$ for their childrens schooling. So payment was structured to be made about when those expenses came up. We paid everthing, including the balance of our safari, in U S currency (cash). Next time, however, I will exchange for some local currency as we plan to spend more time sightseeing/shopping, etc. One tip I learned, at the airports, if you pay with american $$, a lot of places only give back change at a 5:1 rate, when the actual exchange rate at the time was 7:1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Tipping with U.S. dollars is the way to go. As alluded to above, many PHs prefer the clients give a lump sum so that it may be distributed properly. There is a definite "pecking order" so, to keep everyone happy, the tip money is doled out on a percentage basis with the head cook/chef and head tracker at the top of the list.

Have a great trip!

RS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
MB,
You should be able to pick up relatively cheaply at Radio Shack or a travel shop a package of adaptors that will work anywhere around the world. I believe mine had 4 different ones included and has worked well all over the world. These are just plug adapters, not voltage converters. Your Ipad, like most computers, may work on any type of international voltage/frequency. However, if you need a voltage converter, those are relatively cheap as well.

I can't help you with the Namibian currency question since I've never been to Namibia. If they are anything like other places, the US dollar is always welcome.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Watch the adaptors many don't have the proper plug for Namibia
I got mine from Magellan Travel, Check with your lodge.

I would get Namibia currency, Most locals do not have a good way to convert US and be advised if you exchange in J-Burg its S African not Namibian money, it all spends ok but if you have some of each left over you will pay a fee to convert EACH back to US.

Rockhounding and varmint huntin
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the help guys.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MB here are a few pictures of what the stuff looks like over here. Camera batteries, laptops and all the sort can be charged with our 220 V as compared to your 110 V. Rather buy a cheap hair drier over here because if you or the wife uses one, either one or both of you may have a flame come out of it! I have one that travels with me for the ladies.

Best will be to ask the lodge if they have an adaptor that will take American standard plugs. You can now buy them at most airports locally. US$ may be difficult to exchange in Namibia for the local guys because of distance to the bank. Ask your outfitter what he thinks will be the best and buy the money before the hunt starts at the airport. You can also take any of your cards along and draw money at an ATM. Remember to tell your bank to expect overseas charges from SA (maybe your flight is delayed and you need a meal) and Namibia. The Namibia $ has the same value as the SA Rand.

Below are pics of what the plugs look like and the one you need to get. For scale that's a quarter and a half $ next to it.

You excited yet? Have a great trip!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are a couple reasonable currency exchanges right in the airport at Windhoek. We used them without any problems.

I have a cabelas visa that I only use for travel abroad. They have the best rates by far for out of country purchases. It's a lot easier to use that when it's an option versus carrying a bunch of cash.

As far as electrical outlets go, I bought an adapter pack and a converter from Radio Shack. Converter was useless as most camera and camcorder chargers are rated to 220 volts and that's all we needed to charge. The adapters I found in the larger airport electronics shops for less money than what I paid at radio shack and a much better selection. I would buy an adapter in Frankfurt if you are going through Europe.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pieter,
Those are some big ass coins and adapters , if I compare them to the rifles in the picture for scale.... lol

Masterblaster, although not the cheapest option, you will be able to purchase an adapter from most international airports.
Enjoy your trip, and don't forget to come and post some photos when you get back.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pieter has good photos of the ones we've run into. There is also one more that is just a smaller two round prong one, and there was one B&B we stayed in over in Swakopmund that had something like a smaller version of US clothes dryer plug that had a combination of one round and two flat arranged in a triangular pattern.

Pieter also has the scoop on tipping in USD - While some places and people will sometimes accept USD for payments, some time in the last year or so the govt there has supposedly instituted some sort of controls that limit how much locals can convert from USD to ND.

Good point about notifying your CC company of your dates of travel and countries so your card doesn't get turned off for suspected fraud. Another CC security tip is to memorize your CCV code on the back of your card and then scratch it off - just don't forget it!!

Also, if you are traveling around and staying in B&B's - it is best to confirm beforehand that they DO take CC's as not all do and sometimes it is damn difficult to find an exchange location.

It seems the best exchange rates are at the airport in Windhoek just to the right of where you exit the baggage claim area next to the little cafe'. If you are doing larger amounts they might even do a little better than the posted rate.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought my adaptors in the US at a AAA automobile club travel supplies store. Been using them all over Africa and Euorope for a very long time now. They have a kit with several piecees in it that works world wide, a good investment to make IME.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KMG
Pieter,
Those are some big ass coins and adapters

Everything is bigger in Texas, as they say

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our first trip to South Africa we lugged along an adapter purchased at Brookstone that was suppose to be for South Africa. It didn't fit. Most of our stuff only needed a plug adapter because it is 110 - 250V input. Fortunately Pieter was used to that and loaned us an adapter. Thank goodness or I resort to the "cut the plug off, strip the wires, and stick them in the holes method". smile

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Walmart has an adapter kit that provides many adapters that work, Radio Shack has adapters, there are several stores at Joberg, and all the Major airports that have adapters, also all grocery stores, and Hardware stores in almost all African countries carry adapters. Atlanta airport has stores that have adapters as does Dulles, Dallas, Chicago, LA, NY and all major international airports. Apple has adapters for your IPad.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks again for the info.

Rather than starting another thread I'll piggyback another question on to this one. What do you guy's think about me using a 300 WM firing 168gr. Barnes TTSX's for Zebra, Wildebeest, Gemsbok, and Eland?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
me using a 300 WM firing 168gr. Barnes TTSX's for Zebra, Wildebeest, Gemsbok, and Eland?

Shoot 'em.

T
T
I tip trackers directly with US funds. Some PH's prefer that method and others dislike it. However, it's my money and I am going to be the one who decides who gets it and how much.

As far as bullet selection, I would go with a 180gr Swift A-Frame. 2.2x bullet expansion and 95%+ weight retention. In my opinion (and that of many PH's) the A-Frame has no equal.

My brother used TTXS's in 2009 and found that they were much like shooting solids - often times the 4 petals would break off from the bullet and the remaining core with just pass through the animal with minimal damage.

We were both using .338 caliber 225gr bullets and the A-Frame did much more internal damage and had no bullet failures like the TTSX's.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
My son used TTSX's in 7mag and had the same issue. Made tracking some well hit animals very difficult. I was shooting an '06 with 165 gr TBBC's with no issues. Much more damage and no need for trailing though there was plenty of blood had it been necessary. Our PH said he had seen the same happen many times.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity!
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Pieter has posted great pics of the proper adapter that will work in both S. Africa and Namibia. He has also given good tips about money and tipping. I would just like to emphasize that not only is the Namibian dollar pegged to the Rand the Rand is legal tender in Namibia.

Before you leave for Africa your bank or credit card company should be able to help you acquire some Rand to take with you (and the exchange rate is typically better).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,191 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,728
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.