-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
I am considering the purchase of one of the waterproof, crushproof, relatively shockproof cameras. My choices, I think, are narrowed down to either the Pentax Optio WG-2 or the Olympus TG 820 iHS. Is the Pentax worth the $50 more in price?

Pros, cons, good, bad and ugly about the cameras is what I am looking for to help me make my decision.

Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Any other camera suggestions would also be appreciated. I am primarily looking for a dependable camera that can handle some tough outdoor conditions on my hunting and fishing trips while taking good pictures.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bump.... I am interested in the same thing, but would like the camera to be able to take decent 20-30 second videos. Nothing Outdoor Channel quality per se, but at least clear enough to let my friends and family see the terrain and what is going on.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

I use a Canon D10 and Pentax for work. About any one you choose should take decent pics and video. Nikon and Olympus are options too.

Pentax
[Linked Image]

Canon D10
[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Try amazon or ebay they have many waterproof digital cameras.

M2, M3, Rolleiflex 3.5 B, Yashica Mat 124G, Nikon D90, Nikon F100, Nikon FM, Pentax K1000, digital hd video camera..... Advice and constructive criticism always welcome..
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Here is the one my son got a couple months from Costco... nice package deal.
He works trails in bad weather, so far so good.

Nikon Coolpix AW100

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?prodid=11733481&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=87151&hierPath=83*&lang=en-US

It is waterproof, shockproof (he already tested that feature whistle ), freeze proof and comes with a built in
GPS + Electronic Compass.

The outdoor pics I have seen have been of very good quality. Camera has the panorama feature as well.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by add
Here is the one my son got a couple months from Costco... nice package deal.
He works trails in bad weather, so far so good.

Nikon Coolpix AW100

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?prodid=11733481&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=87151&hierPath=83*&lang=en-US

It is waterproof, shockproof (he already tested that feature whistle ), freeze proof and comes with a built in
GPS + Electronic Compass.

The outdoor pics I have seen have been of very good quality. Camera has the panorama feature as well.

I've had an AW100 for several months. I'm really impressed with it. I like the waterproof locking battery/SD card door. The full HD video is outstanding. I've taken lots of great stll pictures with it as well. Great little camera.

Bob

ETA: You might want to check with Joel at Cameraland though. I believe I got a little better price than that.

ETA Again: Here's a good comparison site. Camera Comparisons

Last edited by Bobcape; 05/16/12. Reason: Added even more useless info.

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bobcape
ETA: You might want to check with Joel at Cameraland though. I believe I got a little better price than that.

The Costco dealio is an exclusive I believe.

Did the CL Nikon come with a 4 GB memory card and case?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by Bobcape

The Costco dealio is an exclusive I believe.

Did the CL Nikon come with a 4 GB memory card and case?

I got an 8GB card and an additional 1 year Nikon warranty. Make sure you let him know you are contacting him about a post from the photography section of 24HCF.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Scratch that. I just looked it up. I got the camera, 4gb card, case, second battery and 2nd year Nikon warranty. I don't know if he still offers that package, got mine in February. It's worth checking with him. I have no connection with Cameraland but have had great service.

Bob

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Happy to be of help. While the Costco deal is good. We can do that and throw in an extra battery as well. The WG2 has 2 rebates right now. The %40.00 Inatsnat that everuyone has and our buying group also has a $50.00 mail in rebate. Of all of them I feel the Olympus TG820 is far and away the best. It takes the sharpest pictures and has a CMOS sensor for great low light shots. That one with a case, extra battery and an 8 gig card would be 299.99 shipped in the USA.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know this post may be a little late, but I bought used(like new) Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 from a guy on the Campfire a few years ago, and it is the handiest and user friendly camera I have ever owned. It takes great pics and very nice movies also. It fits in my shirt pocket and I have also taken underwater pics with it. I have 4 other cameras including a DSLR and usually the Olympus goes with me and I leave the others home!!
I don't know if it is still made, but I am sure there is a newer "like" model!!
Just want to make you aware of another option.
Ken

Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
Thanks to everyone for your help. I do appreciate it.

Joel, I'll be calling you late next week to order the Olympus TG820.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What about the just announced Olympus TG-1 iHS?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 222ND, 2003and2013, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,790
Posts18,477,303
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.