Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Surely somebody here is an expert at this...

A friend's yard is infested with ticks. It's a normal 1-acre lot in a subdivision. The yard has a little grass, but is mostly shaded (pine straw and brush underneath). They have 1 dog that they kinda treat, but he roams. The neighboring yards are pretty much the same thing. If the kids go outside, you know they're going to get into the ticks, so it's a pain.

So what do you do for this? He can only burn some of it. Poison? Ruthlessly clear the brush out? I suggested fire ants and guineas, but.....

Thx.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Pine Tree...this stuff worked very well on the yard and surrounding vegetation at both our Va hunting cabin and my place at the shore. Ticks are bad here and we went from routinely pulling a tick off of something many times a season to maybe once or twice.

I don't know if certain brands are more regionally effective than another but,in any event,here's a place to start. Read reviews and instructions and see if it might be a fit for you buddy. Otherwise,you could have him go to your best local nursery and see what they use and recommend.

Ticks give me the frikken willies,man. Good luck.

Sorry I couldn't direct link it for you.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CLMBEBYwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.saferbrand.com%2Fstore%2Forganic-lawn-care%2F5108&ei=M-60T5XpK8OCgAfB1tAW&usg=AFQjCNFkh3Mpi4cblRpfuRzdX5WK6GsZhA

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am unsure how to get rid of them, but this year is the worst I have ever seen them here.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Diazanon (sp). Put it in a spreader and go to town

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Pine_Tree
Surely somebody here is an expert at this...

A friend's yard is infested with ticks. It's a normal 1-acre lot in a subdivision. The yard has a little grass, but is mostly shaded (pine straw and brush underneath). They have 1 dog that they kinda treat, but he roams. The neighboring yards are pretty much the same thing. If the kids go outside, you know they're going to get into the ticks, so it's a pain.

So what do you do for this? He can only burn some of it. Poison? Ruthlessly clear the brush out? I suggested fire ants and guineas, but.....

Thx.
I was going to say guinea hens, but you already suggested that. How about diatomaceous earth?

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd take ticks any day over fire ants...

Wonder if diatamceous earth works on ticks like it does on fleas?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rost495

Wonder if diatamceous earth works on ticks like it does on fleas?
I believe it does.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
o.5% Permethrin in a 2 gal sprayer. IIRC, Lowes has those hose-end premixed sprayers with permethrin. Keep it away from all flowering plants as it will kill honeybees if you don't

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Napalm

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rost495

Wonder if diatomaceous earth works on ticks like it does on fleas?

D.E didn't work for us. Fire ants moved in and took care of the flea and ticks, and we can keep a handle on the fire ants (so far).

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Diazanon (sp). Put it in a spreader and go to town

Just off the top of my head I believe that diazon has been known to kill dogs.

With Lyme's disease increasing ticks are starting to give me the willies more than poisonous snakes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the tip, Bob. Just ordered a bottle of Safer Brand Mosquito and Tick Killer from Amazon for twenty bucks and it was Prime eligible for free shipping.

I'm better when I move.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
It should work well at your new Va home,Rick.

PS...I paid a good bit more than 20 bucks.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We use Sevin ( http://www.gardentech.com/sevin.asp ) in the lawn area at our deer camp. Seems to knock them back.

A wandering dog will bring them in regardless.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." T. Roosevelt
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've seen good results with Sevin also.
Have had comparable results with diatomaceous earth though, and it's cheaper

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Delta Guard G, very good stuff, I've used it around my shack, say bye bye to ticks.

DeltaGard G Granule - 20 lbs.
DeltaGard G Insecticide Granule is specially formulated for outdoor use to control common lawn pests. Broad spectrum, easy to apply and outright effective, DeltaGard delivers complete control over outdoor infestations. Highly soluble granules dissolve easily in water and seep through the soil, eliminating burrowing pests.

Why Should You Use DeltaGard G Granule ?
DeltaGard is a broad label insecticide that targets over 40 lawn pests and is totally safe for use in perimeter soil and turf areas.

Target Pest(s): Annual Bluegrass Weevil, Ants, Armyworms, Bermuda Grass Mites, Billbugs, Black Turfgrass Ataenius, Boxelder Bugs, Centipedes, Chiggers, Chinch Bugs, Clover Mites, Cockroaches, Crickets, Cutworms, Darkling Ground Beetles, Digger Wasps, Essex Skippers, Field Crickets, Fiery Skippers, Fire Ants, Firebrats, Flea Beetles, Grasshoppers, Japanese Beetles, Lawn Moths, Leafhoppers, Mealybugs, Mole Crickets, Silverfish, Sod Webworms, Sowbugs, Spiders, Spittlebugs, Springtails, Ticks and Vegetable Weevils.
Manufactured By: Bayer
Active Ingredient: Deltamethrin � 0.10%
Size: 20 Lbs.
Yield/Application: 2 to 3 lbs. per 1,000 sq. ft.
Not For Sale To: CT, NY

Directions for DeltaGard G Granule Use
Apply the product evenly to treatment areas using granular spreaders or similar equipment. Apply at the rate of 2 to 3 pounds per 1, 000 square feet. For control subsurface pests, use the higher application rate. Irrigate treated areas immediately after treatments to dissolve the granules and improve efficacy.

For perimeter treatments, treat a band of soil measuring 5 to 10 feet in width around and adjacent to structures. Treat at a rate of 1 to 1 � pounds every 500 square feet.

Treat ant, digger wasp and imported fire ant nests/mounds with 1 to 2 teaspoons of granules in and around each mound. Irrigate the mound/nest and its immediate surroundings to dissolve the granules.

Where to Apply DeltaGard G Granule
DeltaGard is for outdoor use only to treat infestations in laws, landscapes, turfgrass and around perimeters of residential, commercial and recreational areas.

GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fire gets them all,works for years.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sevin Dust. You can even put it on your dog although it must be done sparingly, and he must be an outside dog. Used it on my shepard for years. Once you knock them down on your property, you can create a barrier around your yard and keep them out.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you get a tick buried in you or the kids just take some liquid soap on a cotton ball and work it all over the spot. The tick will pull out after a short bit and get caught on the soap.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bifenthrin............is the active ingredient you seek!!

It kills and repels ants, fleas, ticks, Mosquitos and flies. It is found in a liquid or in granules, is NOT water soluble, so it doesn't go away after a couple of rainstorms.

I have found the granules to be the cheapest and easiest to apply, put them in a yard spreader and go to town. If you go by Wmart, its available in the "Eliminator" brand in 20 pound sacks for about $15. I apply a little heavier then suggested on the package and use about 30 pounds per 1/2 acre, but love the results.

Good Luck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

345 members (1minute, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 48 invisible), 2,052 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,158
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.