Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hell, south is south of I-10. grin

GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
That's OK, all you Southerners think us Yoopers are Canadian just becuse we end our sentences with "Hey".

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
So I was in the "upper midwest" this week and once again as I met people I had never met before and told them in the course of conversation I lived in Atlanta and/or was born and raised in south Louisiana the comments started. It's like it's a script... "You don't have an accent?", always said with a perplexed look. I realize that is what they say and I realize that most probably mean it as some sort of compliment but after about the 10,000th time what I hear is "It must be some sort of evolutionary charitable fluke that you can formulate an intelligible sentence." Likewise with other comments in an ever so subtle way it's apparent far too many invariable still believe all southerners are knuckle dragging racist inbred illiterates (no offense to knuckle draggin racist inbred illiterates intended by the way). It's also invariable, that after questioning many that hold such derrogatory stereotypical opinions, that they in fact have never set foot south of the Mason Dixon and many have never left their home state.
All I'll say to the whole affair is... "Bless their hearts." wink

Why am I such a misfit?
I am not just a nitwit.
You can't fire me I quit,
since I don't fit in.
Why am I such a misfit?
I am not just a nitwit.
Just because my (whiskey)nose glows,
why don't I fit in?

grin

All kidding aside, there are stereotypes everywhere. I've spent some time in the south and there are plenty of stereotypes y'all have for us northerner's too. And Heaven forbid if you mention that you live anywhere near FARGO! That damn movie! smirk

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Reloder28
It's also invariable, they in fact have never set foot south of the Mason Dixon......

Nor, can they likely even tell you where it is.

Most folks, Southerners included, think it's much further south than it really is.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Geaux, it could be people making simple observations, too.
Accents are regional and often obvious. An accent being missing might spark an honest question.

People are getting way too thin-skinned and "pre-hurt" about a lot of stuff these days.

I'm a Missourian and hear a broad range of comments about the place I proudly call "home". People are jealous, as best I can figure.
I'll never forget a foul-tempered 6'7" buddy of mine who set an Illinoisian in his place one day when the moron asked me why I'd ever admit I was from Missouri. My buddy:" Because he #@$%ing CAN!!!"

P.S. My favorite North/South thing:
Northern girls say "you can" - Southern girls say "y'all can!"

P.S.S. You weren't raised by Yankies, were you???? laugh

Last edited by Monkey_Joe; 05/18/12.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
(no offense to knuckle draggin racist inbred illiterates intended by the way).

None taken..........................this time.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Brent finds it hard to feel sympathetic because the southerners frequently prejudge northerners.

That may be true, but the mistreated DYs are treated the way they are treated primarily because of the way they act and not because of the way they speak.

I thought it was interesting when I went to Lake Itasca Biology Station back in the mid 1970's and was very quickly labeled as backwards, stupid, and racist just because I spoke more slowly that some there. I even had some girl from NJ say to my face that she thought that everybody who spoke slowly was stupid. She also hated the South and southerners even though she had been no farther south than Maryland. I thought it was quite strange when she said she was planning on going to UNC at Chapel Hill for graduate work. I suppose she thought she would be doing the South a favor by allowing herself to come down here and gracing us with her superiority.

The main thing that bothers us down south is that many DYs want to come down here and change things to be just like the mess they escaped in the North.

I don't care where you were born or how you talk. Treat me right and I will treat you right. The sentiment is frequently not reciprocated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was once asked if I was from Maine...those that have met me will probably be more surprised than I was...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I really do my best to not stereotype folks. It is just wrong to judge someone by how they talk or where they live.

That said, I am not real comfortable around folks who live south of Vancouver, WA or east of I-5.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tjm10025
"Bless their hearts." wink

Shouldn't that be, "Bless their little ol' hearts."?

Actually, it's "Bless your little ol' pea pickin heart".

smile

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Notropis
The main thing that bothers us down south is that many DYs want to come down here and change things to be just like the mess they escaped in the North. .

that is so funny, I could bust a gut. All the DY's I know just want to get back north.

Reinventing the South is just an exercise in futility but nothing I say will stop it.

Carry on.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Stereotypes are wrong. Texas really is better.

10-4

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Rooster7 comment about Fargo riminds me of a story my brother told me. He met a guy from Georgia one time that told him he knew all about people from Minnesota because he saw the movie Fargo. My brother responded that he knew about people from Georgia because he saw the mover Deliverance. The guy got mad when my brother asked him if he squeals like a pig.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
laugh

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by BrentD
The main thing that bothers us down south is that many DYs want to come down here and change things to be just like the mess they escaped in the North. .

that is so funny, I could bust a gut. All the DY's I know just want to get back north.

Reinventing the South is just an exercise in futility but nothing I say will stop it.

Carry on.

I wish most of the ones down here would go back north. Complaining about almost everything seems to be a common hobby for many of them, and I suppose they would only have the cold winters as a source of complaints if they did move back north.

I found it interesting that some fellow from Maine complained about the folks from NY and NJ moving up into his area and trying to make it like NJ and NY. Perhaps it is not just a matter of latitude but rather just a particular geographic location that produces people nobody else likes.

We have a local gated community that is locally known as NJ-South. They want nothing to do with the locals and even went so far as to approach a local food market with a request that they close their doors one afternoon a week to everyone but residents of the community.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
"I realize that is what they say and I realize that most probably mean it as some sort of compliment but after about the 10,000th time what I hear is "It must be some sort of evolutionary charitable fluke that you can formulate an intelligible sentence."

Sounds like a personal problem, unless they are actually saying it....

I think accents are cool; Randy White, an ex-Cowboy football star, doesn't sound like he's from Pennsylvania.

In this state, there are three distinct accents, that I can gather, and in some counties the "accents" are ethnic based. Its history and anthropology right before your eyes.

"Hey dere" and "ya'lls" are neat, and both can be used here. Some people like to hear them and it isn't because they think they're better and you're some kind of knuckle dragger, unless you wrote the script for Fargo....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oddly I find it rare (unless in retaliation) that a "Yankee" throws the first insult on this board. It's common however to see the Yankee, or Damn Yankee insult hurled.

Been my practical experience as well, and since I live it - I'd say I'm pretty versed.

Bless your heart(s).

A hundred and forty-seven years, and some still aren't over it. *rolls eyes*

Last edited by Mako25; 05/20/12.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by mathman
Hell, south is south of I-10. grin

It all depends upon where you're from. I'm from central Mississippi and when I say "south" it basically means anyone from the tennessee line down to I-10 in mississippi, alabama, and parts of Georgia (excluding Atlanta). People from south of I-10 aren't really from the south, they're from the coast. If they're from Louisiana and south of I-10 they're really not from the south, they're coon asses, that's a totally different thing.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I remember when I was a kid in PA my dad's friends would refer
to Ohio residents who came to PA to hunt deer as "flatlanders"
Now Im amazed at the amount of PA residents who go to Ohio to
hunt deer in the last few years. I wonder what they call us in
Ohio?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by BrentD

Carry on.

Strange how the migration patterns the past 30 years are from north to south, not the other way around.

Who knew the tens of millions of residents of Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia and the Carolinas that were born in the North, were marched down here at gun point.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (257_X_50, 21, 2ndwind, 41rem, 12 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,015
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.