Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I hope it is not too early to start a thread like this. Some friends and I are planning an elk hunt for 2013 and during the research I have come up with some questions. First, there will be three of us just north of 50 and possibly one 20 year old. We have all backpacked in the mountains and have each shot numerous deer. I am the only one who has ever shot an elk, and that was over twenty years ago. This will be an elk hunt, not a trophy hunt. We haven't decided on a state yet, still researching that.

We have a wall tent and stove, camping gear and will go out in a 4wd truck. We can't afford to go on a guided hunt, so here are my questions:

Do outfitters put their drop camps in less productive areas than they do for their guided hunters?

Are their people out west that will pack in our gear to a pre- determined spot and pack it back out with any animals we MIGHT harvest?

I looked into renting horses, but that seemed almost as expensive as a guided hunt. Besides, we have all ridden, but we are not horse people.

If we have to do a drive to camp, how much will that affect or odds of a quality hunt.

Thanks in advance for the help, and please throw out any suggestions for things I haven't thought of yet. Dave

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never too early to start planning.

1) Sometimes. Not all outfitters have guided clients during every season, and some have their primary business in drop camps.

2) Not sure, but probably

3) It might be a lot more comfortable and whole lot cheaper, especially if you plan an extended stay or need additional supplies or didn't plan well enough from afar and need to quickly alter your initial plans.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
There are some outfitters willing to pack your gear I have done it, However you need to do alot of research and know excactly where you want your camp.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I get packed in and dropped off and then packed out, also animal pack out if needed. Just call and talk to them. But Like they said, find a spot and have an idea of where u wana go and then start calling all the outfitters in the area.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 260Remguy, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,786 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,130
Posts18,502,601
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.