Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Looks like I will go Elk hunting this year in Arizona end of September, what would you recommend for game bags?

Thanks for your time Mike

GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Here's an article published in Eastmans.
http://www.eastmans.com/ehj/129/reviews/game-bags.html

Basically you have four choices; synthetic bags, cotton bags, cheese cloth bags, and home made bags.

The synthetic bags are lightweight and reusable but they are expensive. They are a good deal ONLY if you think you will take the time to save the bags and put them in your washer after use. They dry quickly so you can rinse them in a creek and hang them to dry. I use them when I'm backpack hunting. http://www.pristineventures.com/products/game-bags.html

Most people use good quality cotton game bags and throw them away after use. Most sporting goods stores will carry game bags. Get the large size for elk. You need four big ones and I also use a couple of small ones because I don't like to store the loose meat in the same bag as the quarters. I figure there's less chance of the meat spoiling if it can breathe and storing the loose meat in with the quarters reduces ventilation around the meat.

The cheap cheese cloth bags are worthless for elk. They are generally too small, and they will tear too easily and the weave is so big that they don't do a very good job of keeping insects off of the meat.

If you or your wife can run a sewing machine, you can make your own out of old pillow cases and bed sheets. They are a little heavier and they may not breather as well as the cotton bags.

In September it could be warm enough that you could be concerned with meat spoiling. So you might consider using Game Saver citric acid spray. I ordered it over the Internet from Indian Valley Meat Co., in Indian Valley, AK. http://www.indianvalleymeats.com/about.htm

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The cheap cheese cloth bags are worthless for elk. They are generally too small, and they will tear too easily and the weave is so big that they don't do a very good job of keeping insects off of the meat.
That's an understatement. They don't keep the bugs off and they don't keep the meat clean. Flies will lay eggs right through them. They're useless.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Getting mine made out of Goodwill sheets for this coming winter hunt. I also have a stash of old pillow cases, but they are too small for large elk parts. It is not difficult sewing; I don't need drawstrings or anything like that.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image]

Pillow cases work wonders...

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
From a 6x6 Arizona elk...

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
SGT217, that is cool,

I think you have a business opportunity knocking at your door. Maybe you could put a picture of an elk on the game bag and use them for a decoy then as a game bag.
Mike

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a few pillow cases left from when my boys were young. I have Star Wars and leopard spotted meat bags.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Naw, that was my hunting partner who killed that elk, and he needed a few game bags which he didn't have. I carried that Mickey Mouse bag all season just waiting to make him use it...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1100mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 19,011 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,980
Posts18,540,013
Members74,052
Most Online21,066
51 seconds ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.