Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SandRat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
A friend and I are thinking about taking a trip to the Lower 48 this winter to hunt hogs,and maybe some waterfowl.What is the best place to do both ?

Enlisted Men are Stupid, but Extremely Sly and Cunning, and bear Considerable Watching.

US Army Officers Manual of 1894
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Northern or central California, you can hunt ducks in the wildlife refuges in the Sacrememto valley and a few miles to the west there are places to hunt hogs. Just go on line and do a search for wild pig hunting northern California, almost all the hunting for hogs is on private land so you will have to pay to hunt the hogs, almost all of the hunts are guided and some include lodging and meals. Send me a private message if you need help.

S
SandRat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
@ Freddy,thanks !! Funny thing is I told him I thought Central or N.California would be a good place.His vote was Texas.Either way we are going to fly from Alaska.

Enlisted Men are Stupid, but Extremely Sly and Cunning, and bear Considerable Watching.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know nothing about Californina but the Texas central gulf coast would be a good bet. Lots of places down there offer ducks and hogs.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How do you want to hunt them? spot and stalk, over a feeder, with a spear and night vision goggles? with a pack of dogs? You have lots of options.

They are all fun.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, Texas Gulf Coast would be ideal. Both CA and TX will work. Texas is a lot more hunter and gun friendly, plus you can stop in San Antonio, see the Alamo and spend some time on the River Walk.

Good Luck!

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw a presentation on hog hunting the other night by an agent of USDA's Wildlife Services Division. There are an estimated 5 million plus feral hogs in the United States and slightly more than half of those are in Texas. I'm sure that northern California would be nice, but Texas needs you.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have a ton of turf farmers around here. They lose lots of money to the herds of running bacon...

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
S
SandRat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
South Texas is looking awfully good as a destination for hogs and waterfowl in the winter.Coming from Alaska,it's probably warmer than the summer weather where I live here,and the folks seem pretty friendly too.I also doubt an AR15 is a problem either......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
call my buddy Jeff Austin 361 510 8708 Austin outfitters. he's the guy to call for ducks and he can set you up on hogs. he has a nice house on a canal you stay in.he also can take you bay fishing or offshore on the 36ft Bertram. tell him Roger Hunter sent you. we're in Corpus Christi TX

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

S
SandRat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter
call my buddy Jeff Austin 361 510 8708 Austin outfitters. he's the guy to call for ducks and he can set you up on hogs. he has a nice house on a canal you stay in.he also can take you bay fishing or offshore on the 36ft Bertram. tell him Roger Hunter sent you. we're in Corpus Christi TX

Thanks Roger,he might even want to come visit up here,my partner is a fishing guide,we have a driftboat,river sleds,and a saltwater boat.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Don't come to AZ. Very few pigs here.

What surprises me is ranchers and farmers complain about the damage these animals produce but will charge you to hunt them on their land.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You haven't seen the damage some humans/hunters can cause, even without liability issues.

What surprises me continually is the number of would-be hog hunters who complain because landowners will not let them have free hunting access - for hogs or anything else.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
SR,
What did you find? A co-worker wants to take his daughter down for spring break & shoot a couple hogs.
Anyone have reccomendations for a decent outfitter from Waco to San Antoio before blindly searching the net?

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Ca i think will be a little more expensive. Texas seems to have a lot more places.
I am going in the morning in central ca on a friend of a friends ranch for free. (my kinda of hunting)

Ca does have some pigs on public lands and i have been all over hunting them. The most i found were in Humboldt but it is insane going there as the pot growers think they own all the public land.
Be very careful if you get a tip on Humboldt or Mendicino all Pot country.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would have to agree wiht those recommending TX. CA hog hunting is expensive and often "Wham, bam, thank you, Ma'am" in that once you shoot your hog, you are done. Some guides just meet you at Denny;s, drive you out and you shoot ahog - done by noon, and back to your motel.

Not all - Camp Five is a good place for example. You stay there, and once you get a hog, you can shoot ground squirrels, call varmins, etc. It's not cheap, though. If you are making a special trip, I'd pick Texas.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
TEXAS we have more hogs than people !

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Ok can somebody reccomend an outfitter or two between Waco & San Antonio? Simple hunt for two people looking to shoot or arrow a couple hogs to bring back.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Texas , I wouldn't go if it had to be Communist State of California

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whoever told you TX had hogs was full of it....

There have been times while working with TPWD in the past when high racking for hogs at night that we literally quit because our shoulders got tired. I would guess on a really good night a 5 man crew switching off (2 spotting and 2 shooting, and 1 driving) we have got close to 100 hogs in one night. It's not much of a "hunt" however. If you really want to "hunt" hogs in TX you can spot and stalk them with a bow along the coast or South, TX by creeping along the edges of sendaros.

Pics not mine, but provided for comedy relief.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by NathanL; 12/08/12.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1lessdog, 160user, 1234, 219 Wasp, 10ring1, 204guy, 37 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,855
Posts18,517,658
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.