Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
62.50 worth of ammo comming........this could get out of hand.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
i got some federal comming on that order. i hope it gets here for the week end so i can try it

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
My understanding is that the good Federal is made by RWS. I can't say if it is repackaged RWS or if it is made to Federal specs by RWS. If I had to guess I would guess repackaged RWS R50.
I have had some lots of RWS R50 that shot very very well and other lots that threw fliers.
In my CZ American Lapua Midas L (now discontinued frown ) always shot the best. My wife's CZ Lux has turned in its best groups with Ely Tennex Ultimate EPS.
Shooting rimfire benchrest is a lot of fun, but even at the local club level ammo can get very expensive. Then again, punching out them little bug holes or tearing up a BR 50 target sure is a lot of fun.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
do you shoot the 3 gun thing or just the cz.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
While some rifles will shoot cheap ammo well it for the most part is still inconsistent. Go to any rimfire match and you'll see more than likely 10/10 shooters will be using Eley. Wolf is good stuff and I love it. But when .200 of an inch seperates 1st and 10th place in a match that is where the ammo comes to play. Ive seen guys before find a certain lot# of Eley shoot superb in a given rifle and buy 10,000.00 dollars worth to ensure they didnt run out. Rimfire competions are almost solely based these days on the ammo.
Check out benchrestcentral rimfire section. Theres a fellow over there named Bob Collins who is a Eley dist/importer. Get in contact with him and he will sell you a test lot of Eley. Basically he will put together 10 boxes of various makes of Eley from different machines at different speeds. Takes a ton of the guess work out of the senario if you are serious about taking on the rimfire comp game.

WarDamnEagle
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At my club's benchrest matches, Eley dominates. One or two guys spend the extra for Tenex, but most guys shoot the black box Match ammo. A couple of the guys on limited budgets shoot Wolf Match Extra, but Eley geneally rules the roost. Almost all of the rifles jhave tuners. Falcon, Turbos, Anschutz and Rem 40Xs for the most part with one or two Win Mod 52s.

In general, you get less flyers with the more expensive ammo and it is still true that each rimfire rifle has its own preferences.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
i am seeing the eley ammo diff already. i am planning on checking out the next local match. maybe they will invite me to shoot.... thanks for the tip on bob collins. would have saved me some money but i have already bought several boxes of ammo to try.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you have any trouble finding him shoot me a pm and I will forward his contact info to you if needed. His prices are generally very reasonable.

WarDamnEagle
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
i found it at c&s accuracy. there is a verry informative artical on there that explains ammo very well. thanks for that. i dont think i will think like that for now. ill just get the best ammo and learn the game. and how to shoot first.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I don't want to sound uninformed, but what are the tuners everyone keeps talking about?

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just built 2 10/22 rifles for hunting.
I took several ammo selections to the range to break them in.
1 has a Kidd Light weight 18". The other has a Volq 16.5" carbon wrapped barrel.

My first surprise was that both tore out 1 ragged hole groups at 50 yds, avg just over .500". 10 shot groups, btw.

Same ammo, Eley Sport. Which is from Mexico so, I figure it is really Aguilla.

The Volq really shined with Green Tag and the Kidd with Federal Auto Match.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
its a big weight on the end of the barrel with adjustment to tune barrel harmonics. you turn it in or out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by orion03
I've got a whole case of Wolf Match, haven't shot any of it yet, but you guys kinda have me scared talking about how dirty it is.

only gets your fingers greasy when loading the magazine.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
do you shoot the 3 gun thing or just the cz.

Just the CZs now. I had a Kimber hunter and a heavy barrel Sako and neither shot as well as the CZ American so they went down the road. We shot the local club sporter BR matches and if I was on, I would shoot the little CZ in unlimited class as well. Shot a 250 on the BR 50 target once in unlimited but came in second by one X. My buddy beat me using his custom bench gun.
I don't really shoot many matches anymore.

Ernie

Last edited by EWY; 05/23/12.

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a link - I have the black Harrell style tuner on my 40-X. You have to measure your barrel at the muzzle and (I think it was) 1 inch back from the muzzle. The inner diameter of the tuner is machined to fit your barrel and held on in a collet-fashion with 2 allen bolts.

http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/index.php/tuners.html

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
thanks for that link... looks like my 40x has the same one.
what ammo does your 40x like?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 56 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,632
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.