Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Dogcatcher is feeling his oats lately. Whassup with that?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by nsaqam
I don't think so DC.

It looks to me like GT chucked the thing up in his lathe (not too concentrically either) and took a few cuts on the entire rear of the bolt and then didn't bother deburring the thing.
That's crappy machine work any way you look at it.

Looks to me like the only thing that got milled was the bolt handle itself, notice the shiney half moon grinder mark.

That is how it looks to me too.

Not saying this is acceptable work but there are always two sides to a story. I would be curious as to Greg's side on this more so pertaining to the bolt than Elkhuntingguide.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Careful FVA, if you disagree with elkhuntingguide, he will throw a temper tantrum and start calling you names...

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My Gre-tan shroud would drag on the left side of the bolt raceway of my 700 and stop its progress before I even got to the point where the bolt would turn down. I had to file down the underside of the shroud on the left side but is has worked just fine since then. I chalked it up to just needing some fitting�.

It may be several causes: 1) Gre-tan specs are off 2) Remington specs are off or 3) a combination of both.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here's mine. Now I have a bolt that is "custom" fit to a Gretan assembly. The Gretan was not "fixed" so it still will NOT work in any of my other rifles. So..... are ALL of me rifles out of spec, or is my Gretan assembly out of spec?? Do I need to send all of my bolts in for a custom grind job? Strange how all of my factory assemblies work just fine in all the bolts...

[Linked Image]

Public landowner...
IC B2

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That stinks. I was just sharing my particular experience with one unit, and was not defending either party.

I do know that in the course of manufacturing tooling does dull and the products will be different within a run but may be still in spec. I also know that Remington has a rep for sometimes having some slight QC issues. For instance I have an 870 that had an extremely tight chamber. Inexpensive target loads would stick in the chamber. Rem sent me a second barrel and I had the same issue. I ended up chucking a fired shell into a drill and used this to lap the chamber until it worked right.

As was mentioned before, when making a repair one should also start by modifying/replacing the least expensive part. Sorry about your bolt.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It's getting a little better with use; still not "right", though.

I'm appalled at the modified bolts. You don't grind on a ACTION to fit a bolt shroud! WTF?! sick

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I can only get ya to the water.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Main spring?

I just haven't had a chance to really deal with it. The rifle it's in gets a new stock, and the scope yanked off & sent to Leupold, here real soon so I'm going to address this when I've got it all apart and disabled.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I cannot in my wildest dreams believe Gre-Tan would send a product back to a customer like that. No tellin how many customers will see that picture and go elsewhere. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 06/04/12.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Really old thread.Didn't find this until after I bought a gre-tan for my 700 Titanium 308.Same problem,would'nt screw on all the way.Shroud hit's the root of the bolt handle.Took advice and bought a PT&G assembly..Perfect!!!!! Figured I'd pass it on.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,565
Posts18,491,815
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.