Print Thread
Hop To
G
gbp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KTLA) -- Authorities had to euthanize a mountain lion that wandered into the courtyard of a Santa Monica office building Tuesday morning

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-santa-monica-mountain-lion,0,2911689.story?track=rss

These incidents are becoming more common in the golden state

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have heard, but not confirmed, that more lions are euthanized in Kalifornia every year that were EVER harvested during any given hunting season....

I am inclined to believe it, if only because it falls in line with other California Conventional Wisdom...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm just glad they 'euthanized' it. Would have been a shame to kill it.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU

Dammitt, another screen and keypad in need of cleaning!

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
I have heard, but not confirmed, that more lions are euthanized in Kalifornia every year that were EVER harvested during any given hunting season....

I am inclined to believe it, if only because it falls in line with other California Conventional Wisdom...

They've killed a bunch of them around my house.
A big Tom killed the neighbor's goat and drug it under my deck.

Here are the statistics on Lion depredation permits in California.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/issues/lion/depredation.html

God forbid a hunter could take pleasure from hunting them or better yet fund the population reduction program in a state with a financial crisis.

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gee...good info! Theres seems to be some kind of correlation there......... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

is that like...petting it to sleep or something?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They bring it to a 'farm in the country' where it happily eats tofu in the shape of sheep for the rest of it's natural days before finally moving on to it's cosmic existence.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Salmonella
They've killed a bunch of them around my house.
A big Tom killed the neighbor's goat and drug it under my deck.

The Gov trapper killed it with the aid of hounds on a ridge above my house..

That pic...

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
was the trapper from a passing minstrel show?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
was the trapper from a passing minstrel show?

Any Lions in New Orleans?
Or Mountains?

blush

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
lions in the basin off to the west....maybe in the Pearl River swamp on the other side of us, depending whom you believe.....your lyin' eyes or wildlife and fisheries.

and of course, down in de swamps below the city, they got the loup garou, which scares me way more than a lion.

no mountains though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seems the cat was in the mall, and "euthanized" with a shotgun. _______________

Fatal shooting of mountain lion by police sparks criticism

May 22, 2012 | 6:33pm

No one is exactly sure how a mountain lion roamed down into the heart of Santa Monica on Tuesday morning, coming face-to-face with the janitor of an office complex not far from the city�s bustling shopping district.

But he turned out to be an unwelcomed visitor--and that generated much debate in the city.
With news choppers circling overhead, Santa Monica police managed to corner the 3-year-old lion in the courtyard of the complex. Police said they made several attempts to calm what they described as an aggressive feline using tranquilizing darts, nonlethal bullets and a fire hose. When that failed to stop the lion from trying to escape, a police officer fatally shot it.

Authorities defended the killing, saying the lion posed a public threat if it managed to get back on the street. They noted there was a preschool across the street and shoppers nearby.

�A variety of means were used to try to keep the animal back in the courtyard,� said Santa Monica Police Lt. Robert Almada. �The animal continued to charge and attempted to flee. It was euthanized to protect the public safety.�

But in Santa Monica, a city known for its robust civic discord and love of causes, some were quick to protest.

Bill Dyer, 78, said police are too quick to reach for their weapons when dealing with animals.

�What was the rush?� asked Dyer, a regional director for In Defense of Animals, a nonprofit animal protection organization. �They should have taken their time. This land belongs to the animals, too. This is not just our land.�

Santa Monica resident Synnove Naess was visibly shaken after learning the cat was killed in the neighborhood where she attends art class.

�Everybody is so devastated about this,� she said. �I'm just so sad. This could happen again. Are they going to shoot animals every time this happens?�

Officials at the state Department of Fish and Game said it was highly unusual for a mountain lion to wander into a largely populated urban area. In fact, nobody in the department could ever recall seeing one in Santa Monica.

�There is almost no way for [the animal] to get here from there,� said Andrew Hughan, a Fish and Game spokesman, pointing to a map at the distance between the Santa Monica Mountains and the shopping district. �But this one did.�

About 6,000 mountain lions live in the states� mountains and canyons, Hughan said.

Since 2002, the National Park Service has conducted a study to learn more about the habits of the mountain lions in and around the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area. So far, they have monitored 22 of the wild cats living in the area.

The sight of the 75-pound beast frightened Rogelio Rodriguez. The janitor started his predawn shift at Emeritus College by emptying the trash can in the courtyard. The rustling of the garage bag startled the big cat.

The mountain lion, who was pawing at the glass door, saw Rodriguez and turned toward him.
�I saw the cat come to where I was,� he said. �I ran into the building and called the police.�

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...ain-lion-by-police-sparks-criticism.html

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
As long as those lions stick to white yuppie joggers they will be ok. If they start eating Mexican food or God forbid some hoodie wrapped soul food, the state might have to rethink their Born Free approach.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 51 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,968
Posts18,519,591
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.