Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm going on a goat hunt in BC this coming Sept and am looking for some gloves. They need to be waterproof and insulated for cool weather. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Take a look at Outdoor Research, I have a pair that I highly recommend. I can't remember the name, but they're fleece, windproof, and have sticky patches on the palm.

Very warm, yet still very doable to shoot with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's probably the OR Gripper, which I have and absolutely love.

The OP was asking about waterproof gloves. The only problem with "waterproof" gloves is that if they get wet on the inside, they are more difficult to dry, unless they have a removable liner. An outer glove plus a liner is both hard to shoot with and potentially hard to remove quickly. Take this advice with a grain of salt, as I would guess that there are some lighter-weight, Goretex, lightly insulated gloves that would suit the OP's purposes well, with the caveat that they may not dry as quickly as the Grippers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used nothing but waxed leather gloves for a couple of years now and can't imagine much better. They suck to break in, but are very tough yet provide me enough feel on the trigger. They are all but waterproof, IME, if waxed well. If I'm expecting very cold weather, I'll take a pair of wool gloves/mittens that are large enough to fit over them. I can't imagine it being cold enough in September even in BC to need to the woolies.

IMO, insulated gloves are okay if sitting still, but if I'm doing much moving at all I can get by to well below freezing in the waxed leathers.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I hope there are more responses. After many years of hunting I have found the combination of clothing and boots that keeps me warm and dry. But, I've yet to find gloves that stay dry, keep my hands warm, and are reasonably flexible to preform minimal tasks...like using a radio or knocking an arrow on my bow.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have no experience with these Patagonia gloves, but I have been planning to buy a pair for fishing this fall/winter. I have read some good reviews. I'm not sure whether they would be durable enough for hunting, though.

Here is a link:

Patagonia R1 Gloves

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I find that keeping my hands dry with gloves on is more about sweat managment than anything unless it is a real drencher out. I also find that any waterproof gloves with a goretex type lining wet from the inside out and then I get cold hands. Hunting in the arid climates of Idaho, I have gone through a host of high end gloves and most of the time I just prefer wearing a pair of $3 rag wool gloves with rubber dots for grip. They breath well, keep me warm and dry out fairly quickly if I keep moving. Surely not the best solution for stand sitting, or when it is really wet. Probably not what you were looking for, but if you are hunting on the move, I'd give it a try.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by KCBighorn
Take a look at Outdoor Research, I have a pair that I highly recommend. I can't remember the name, but they're fleece, windproof, and have sticky patches on the palm.

Very warm, yet still very doable to shoot with.

Get the OR Windstoppers. I was issued those in the Army. We were doing a freefall trainup with weather in the teens and stiff winds. I dropped one of my Windstopper gloves on a night jump while rolling up my chute and had to use a regular nomex/leather glove on my dominant hand for the last jump that night. Damn near couldn't pull the ripcord that jump 'cause my hand was so numb after 60 seconds of freefall. The other hand never got cold with the Windstopper. In brutal subzero conditions those under some boiled wool mittens should see you through.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by pointer
I've used nothing but waxed leather gloves for a couple of years now and can't imagine much better. They suck to break in, but are very tough yet provide me enough feel on the trigger. They are all but waterproof, IME, if waxed well. If I'm expecting very cold weather, I'll take a pair of wool gloves/mittens that are large enough to fit over them. I can't imagine it being cold enough in September even in BC to need to the woolies.

IMO, insulated gloves are okay if sitting still, but if I'm doing much moving at all I can get by to well below freezing in the waxed leathers.

Pointer, do you wax you're own or buy them that way? I too am a leather glove guy, and enjoy the rugged construction and feel of leather. Do you dip them in paraffin, the hole glove or just the outside? Would love to try this.

God Bless America!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've tried the OR grippers, and while they are way nice and my wife prefers them, I still use el cheapo Chilly Grips. Breather well and have waterproof fingers and palm but the back of the glove is knitted so they don't build up sweat like goretex gloves do.

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by sawtoothsteve
I find that keeping my hands dry with gloves on is more about sweat managment than anything unless it is a real drencher out. I also find that any waterproof gloves with a goretex type lining wet from the inside out and then I get cold hands. Hunting in the arid climates of Idaho, I have gone through a host of high end gloves and most of the time I just prefer wearing a pair of $3 rag wool gloves with rubber dots for grip. They breath well, keep me warm and dry out fairly quickly if I keep moving. Surely not the best solution for stand sitting, or when it is really wet. Probably not what you were looking for, but if you are hunting on the move, I'd give it a try.

+1

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've used snow seal on leather gloves and had excellent results. For cool wet weather and wet snow, it works well.
Try looking at Mountain Hardwear gloves. The gloves I have and like very much are a few years older but similar to the present Medusa. The liner is light, doesn't hold moisture and is very windproof. The main glove is kevlar reinforced in high wear areas. It is very durable, very warm and has held up well. Between the liner and main glove it'll cover from windy, wet and cool down to really frigid.
For light liner gloves, the guys on this forum sold me on the Chilly grips. They don't just work above their price, they just work. But the price is low enough that I'll carry a dry set, like an extra pair of socks if I'm going to be out in wet weather. And I don't get upset if a loaned pair doesn't come home or if I otherwise lose one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by redfoxx
Originally Posted by pointer

Pointer, do you wax you're own or buy them that way? I too am a leather glove guy, and enjoy the rugged construction and feel of leather. Do you dip them in paraffin, the hole glove or just the outside? Would love to try this.
I wax my own. I bought a block of beeswax at a craft store and use my wife's hair dryer. Just melt the wax on the glove and work it in with the block. Don't put your hand in the glove to make it easier, it gets HOT! wink

I've had some gloves take the wax better than others. I think it has something to do with the treatment on the leather. I try to get and "raw" of leather as I can find. Also, get a slightly larger size than normal. For me, a new soft, leather glove that fits snugly feels perfect. It does feel as good after you wax it. A bit large is better IME.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, definitely not waterproof,but, I love the under armour hurlock gloves. They are form fitting(no floppy fingers), and have small grippers in the palm. They are really light, but they keep me warm while deer hunting until late nov/early dec. I think they're really warm for the size of the glove. I always have some "waterproof" gloves in my pack, but still haven't used them. If you get the hurlock gloves wet, then just take them off, and they'll be dry in no time. They're my go to.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks guys. I'm looking at these so far:

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-gear/handwear/sidecountry/men-s-adrenaline-gloves.html

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/on/...r_US-Site/default/Search-Show?q=heracles

http://www.sitkagear.com/products/open-country/necessities/gloves/stormfront-glove/

and of course these.......

http://www.summitglove.com/glove.php?sid=A311&tid=191

I use waxed/self treated leather a lot here in Texas but I want something that seals up nicely at the wrist so if it really rains on me a lot, I'm good to go.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Give the Kuiu gloves a look too.
http://shop.kuiu.com/guide-glove-p17.aspx

I used them last bow season and loved them. They take a beating but are light and dry super fast if wet. I liked them so much I ordered another pair just in case they were discontinued.

B
B
gabbott,

Hard to get a consensus on gloves, cuz none seem to be just right. I have used an older version of a pair of Mountain Hardware Torsion gloves with great success in the big cold mountains of New Zealand and Alaska and absolutely love the fit and function of these gloves. Torsion Gloves However, they are not really insulated and are not waterproof. I think these requirements are overrated on the average hunt. I killed my sheep on the 5th day of my hunt after 4 days of continuous rain and even flash flooding. I climbed 33 miles mostly in the rain to get this sheep and I really did stay comfortable. I used climbing poles the whole time so my hands were exposed. I also took a pair of these: Medusa Gloves , on both hunts, but rarely needed them. Even in 15 degree temps with high winds in New Zealand. They are kinda like the Sitka's you mentioned and are 9 oz. of insurance if your worried. The only time I got really miserable on a hunt like this was field dressing a moose, it rained solid for 18 hours and temps around freezing. Working on the moose was numbing, that might be a place for the 2 glove liner system, but you would lose a lot of dexterity. The KUIU gloves mentioned are a lot like the torsion glove, and would probably be great too. Mountain Hardware makes a newer glove that I have no experience with, but sounds like a gore tex torsion. Pistolero Glove Sounds like what you described. Good luck on the hunt.
Richard

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been searching for the perfect gloves also. After reading this thread I searched for the Pistolero gloves and found them on sale at altrec.com for $54.99. Ordered a pair to add to the collection in my search. :-)

-Doug

BASR
[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You're on the right track gabbot. I don't shop the hunting gear manufacturers much anymore. For many years I have shopped the mountaineering oriented stuff. It has worked great for me for over 40 years of backpacking, backcountry skiing... you get the idea. Mountaineering gear will be lighter, tougher, and just work better, as well as cost more, than most hunting grade stuff.
Personally I have used some type of fleece or soft shell gloves with a wind stopper membrane for most of my skiing and hunting for as long as they've been making them. Marmot, OR, and North Face have all worked well. I have also used Marmot and Black Diamond gortex gloves for serious cold. Fleece has generally run around 50-60 bucks, and winter gloves around 150.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
+1 on the Kuiu Guide Glove. I wore them from September through early December. We had snow on the mountains in September and my hands stayed warm, dry & protected all season while I was moving & during short (sub 10 minute) stops. I put BDEL Mercury mitts on for longer glassing sessions.

That said, having worked in an outdoor shop for 8+ years, what keeps me warm, may not do the same for you. Be realistic about how cold your hands commonly get & wear gloves that suit your need. A Black Diamond Guide Glove (or similar) with a thin liner might be just the ticket for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 117LBS, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,638
Posts18,512,196
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.