Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Where can you buy one? I understand what they're good for but have never seen one advertised.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sinclair

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Thanks, Sedge.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Make your own out of a arrow

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Indy,

When I needed a drop tube to fill my BPCR cases with BP, I simply went down to the Hardware store and bought a 36" length of (I think 3/8") copper tubing. Got out my flaring tool and flared both ends, and I was 'good-to-go'... smile

GH

Last edited by Grasshopper; 05/23/12.

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sinclair has drop tubes and a funnel the tube screws into. Real convenient.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Buffalo Arms Co. (BACO) jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I take an old aluminum arrow (I supose a carbon would do also), I cut it to about 15-18 " and tape a funnel to the one end. I affix it to my powder measure with a rubber band, to the side of the measure.

I drop a chrarge, a little light, thru the measure, weigh it on a scale, and trickle to the desired amount.

Hold case under the arrow (Tube) and slowly pour the powder in the funnel above.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/24/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Indy,

When I needed a drop tube to fill my BPCR cases with BP, I simply went down to the Hardware store and bought a 36" length of (I think 3/8") copper tubing. Got out my flaring tool and flared both ends, and I was 'good-to-go'... smile

GH

This is what I did and it worked great.

Corey

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I take an old aluminum arrow (I supose a carbon would do also),

I don't know about using a carbon arrow if using black powder. Static spark might be a concern.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I take an old aluminum arrow (I supose a carbon would do also),

I don't know about using a carbon arrow if using black powder. Static spark might be a concern.

Didn't think of that. Probably cause don't load BP in cases

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/24/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Mic McPherson's swirl-charging technique will probably get you where you want to go using a standard power funnel..
Pour the powder from your pan so that it hits the side of the funnel and "swirls" down like water going down the drain or in a toilet..
I use this technique all the time when loading slower powders and it works great!

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
ezcuse my igornance why do i need a drop tube? what does it do???

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Get more powder in the case

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by boltman

How does it do that? grin

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Hubert

Magic

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by Hubert

Magic

What he said....

Somehow it helps the powder to settle more compactly. Don't know if it's the increased velocity of the falling granules helping to pack them more tightly, or if it slows down the rate of fill of the case, thereby allowing more time for individual granules to settle before others pile in on top of them, or the rotation of the earth allows the granules to align more compactly, or it allows time for the powder gnomes to stack the granules neatly, or drop tubes are just good karma, or a combination of these. But it works.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
I think that it agitates the powder more, allowing the grains to fill in the interstices between grains more densely. But you can definitely get more powder in the case.

I can't prove it, but I suspect it is more useful with stick powder than with ball powder.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just a helpful little bit of info to stimulate some thought. The same benefit that a long drop tube offers can be had by cross drilling a short drop tube and inserting a .062 wire through the hole. I slows the powder drop same as a long tube and allows the powder to pack more efficiently in the case. I was constantly hitting the long drop tubes with my knee and breaking them off. Long tubes became short tubes very quickly after being broken off a couple of times. Works like a charm and doesn't get in the way.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nrut
Mic McPherson's swirl-charging technique will probably get you where you want to go using a standard power funnel..
Pour the powder from your pan so that it hits the side of the funnel and "swirls" down like water going down the drain or in a toilet..

That works, but McPherson was about a century late in claiming it as his technique.

Advise from McPherson and "swirling down a toilet bowl" are inexorably linked...... wink

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,937
Posts18,519,017
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.