T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by tjm10025

You want run forever, go Toyota or Honda.
I'm really surprised niether have a 40mpg car (can't/won't do a "hybrid"). Not that it excludes either (generally they are still a bit proud compared to their competition) just an observation.

Longevity and durability imply a heavier frame and components than you'll find in a current 40mpg car.

I don't know anything about Honda Fits, but I believe the Civic is a bit larger and heavier. And Civics are among those that can go 300K with regular maintenance.
No doubt. The problem is when you compare comparably equipped vehicles, Toyota and Honda are more than a few dollars higher. For what I'd want, more like a few thousand plus. All I really need is A/C, auto and a very few other items but the standard features vary pretty wildly amongst manufacturers. Certainly still a consideration for the reasons you mention and others.

Since you mention all you really needs is A/C,Auto,and other small things I can tell you the Ford Fiesta S model with auto will be under 14K and will get really great gas mileage.
And unlike the Elantra,Soul,Accent, Cruze,it comes equipped with a spare tire,lug wrench,and jack.

I posted a while back about going to lunch with a co-worker that had just bought a new Elantra and we ran over a piece of metal which caused a flat,in the pouring rain no less,and that's when we discovered no spare came with the car.

In February I started pricing new economy cars and came extremely close to buying the Ford Fiesta SE but was finally put off because it's made in Mexico and has a timing belt that Ford claims is good for 100k,but I HATE timing belts severely.
What I finally bought was a left over 2011 Toyota Corolla LE that dealerships had a small sea of and for once Toyota had to deal.
Car retailed at $19,800 and I paid before TT&L 16,300.
Took a 3,000 mile trip in it in April and the lowest mileage it got was in a west Texas head wind of 25 mph and still got 32 mpg's.
Best mileage was from Springerville Arizona to Tucumcari New Mexico utilizing the cruise control and got a stunning 43 mpg.
No wind noise,smooth ride,and very comfortable seats.
Good luck and look at most cars out there.

XL5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GeauxLSU, PM inbound.

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I keep cars a long time. This will be a daily commuter (3 or so days a week) in nightmare traffic (30+ miles each way so mpg and reliability are job one). In 6 years the plan would be to hand it off (with perhaps 75k on it) to a then 15 year old as his first car.
Given those two things which new car from this list would you
1) Buy
2) Avoid
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Small-Cars/
My preliminary thoughts are Elantra, Soul, and/or Mazda3. Obviously very different so as you can tell I have no real preconceptions or hang ups (at least on this issue laugh ).
(Would need to occasionally carry 3 people so the CRZ is not an option)

Thanks to ALL for the info/input.
Well went and test drove the three mentioned. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with all three. "Budget" cars sure aren't what they used to be! I simply was not expecting tha level of vehicle in that price range. Heck our 2007 Highlander's interior looks like the Flintstone's mobile by comparison now. grin
Although all three would have certainly sufficed, and any short comings mentioned are really nit picking, my brief synopsis is:
1) The Kia Soul+ had the most utility and an amazing electronics options package and was the lowest priced. Rode too much like a truck/jeep. I can see why it is as popular as it is, especially amongst the younger set.
2) The Mazda 3i (5 door) unquestionably was the best driving. I could actually have some fun in the mountains in that car. It might actually be a little too much fun to pass to a teenager one day (which is the plan). Something about the interior just seemed odd, can't put my finger on it. I kept feeling like 'stuff' was missing and the A/C was a bit anemic. In any case, a very nice vehicle.
3) The Hyundai Elantra was the best riding and I liked interior and options the best. I see why it gets the accolades it does. Bought a new 2013 yesterday.
These cars are VERY popular and the negotiations were painful. Don't think I've ever paid within $4k of sticker for a new car. Well I have now. I did find the outrageous 'fees' they attempt to charge humurous. Most dealers out of the gate were actually above list once you add in fees! laugh We ended fairly well below invoice and zero fees. End of month/end of quarter. In any case, I got what I'm pretty comfortable is as good a deal as can be had in this market so, now if I just have the same luck with this one as I've had with the other new vehicles I've purchased I should be set for many years of satisfied ownership.
Thanks again for all the input!

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
And oh yeah, I was stunned at the trunk size. shocked I'm fairly certain with only modest effort a dead deer would fit in there quite well! laugh

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
There is a spare tire kit for your Elantra. You might want to check into that if you didn't already buy it with the car. They don't come with a spare.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Longbob
There is a spare tire kit for your Elantra. You might want to check into that if you didn't already buy it with the car. They don't come with a spare.
Yep, I'll get one. They do give you an air compressor, apparently to pump up your tire with a hole in it? grin and this one had a 'first aid kit'. crazy

NRA Lifer

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My son has a 2012 Elantra and it had a blow out within 3,000 miles of new. He went to air it up using the kit and didn't realize it was that big of a hole.

He said "Dad, it sounded like you when you let one go when you think no one is around."

I knew then he needed to replace the tire and I should have gotten the spare kit.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 20 invisible), 1,821 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,356
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.