Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bad business for everyone involved. I hope things turn out okay for both kids.

Child Shot In The Face While Snake Hunting

An 11-year-old boy was the victim of an apparent accidental shooting in Morgan County Wednesday evening.

Morgan County Sheriff officials said the accident happened Wednesday around 8:00 PM in the woods behind a home on Union Hill Road.

The boys were reportedly hunting snakes with a shotgun when one of them shot the other in the face.

Morgan County Sheriff Ana Franklin said this is a terrible tragedy and prayers go out to both families.

�One boy is fighting for his life in the hospital and the other is left to deal with the reality that he shot his best friend,� Franklin told WHNT News 19 from the scene. The investigation continues. The names of the boys have not been released.

From whnt.com

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh, my. Prayer lifted for them.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Damn sad. frown

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My prayers to all concerned. May the good Lord watch over them.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 1096here
My prayers to all concerned. May the good Lord watch over them.

Exactly!
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here is an update with a few more details.

UNION GROVE, Alabama -- An 11-year-old boy accidentally shot in the face with a shotgun Wednesday while snake hunting in his backyard with a friend is in Huntsville Hospital with serious injuries, according to Sgt. Terry Kelly of the Morgan County Sheriff's Office.

The 11-year-old boy was playing with another 11-year-old friend in the back yard of their home on Union Hill Road when the accident happened, Kelly said. The 11-year-old boy shot was transported to Huntsville Hospital, Kelly said.

Kelly said the Morgan County Sheriff's Office is calling the incident an "accidental discharge." Kelly said officials believe one child loaded the shotgun without the other knowing it in what he called "a tragic accident."

"The young man who fired the gun went to the house and was banging on the door trying to get help," Kelly said. "He was very traumatized."

Kelly said young people handling firearms should always be done under supervision and by following the basic rules of firearm safety.

From al.com

=====================
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Damn, I hate hearing things like this! Prayers sent..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damn...just damn.

I hope and pray that everyone is ok in the end...this will change everyone involved forever.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damn

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a crying shame...

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Plinker
Oh, my. Prayer lifted for them.

AMEN

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very bad deal for all involved or close to the situation. Hope the injured boy recovers.

[Linked Image]
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Prayers sent to all!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A tragedy indeed, dont even want to speculate on the possible extent of injuries frown

The kid apparently snuck the shotgun and ammo out without the parent's knowledge.

Just curious, how many here had potential access to such things when they were kids? I'm guessing leaving a gun generally accessible was/is a real common practice all across rural America.

For my own part, coming from a non gun-owning family I finally talked 'em into letting me get a Savage .22 over 20 gauge when I was sixteen. Used to keep it and the ammo in my closet in those less suspicious days.

Through my own son's childhood OTOH everything was kept locked up, for fear of burgulary and of what his FRIENDS might do.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I feel for the parents on both sides, there are sure to be plenty of recriminations, fingerpointing, etc, along with the anquish that must follow an incident like this. Likely neither family will ever quite be the same.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
A tragedy indeed, dont even want to speculate on the possible extent of injuries frown

The kid apparently snuck the shotgun and ammo out without the parent's knowledge.

Just curious, how many here had potential access to such things when they were kids? I'm guessing leaving a gun generally accessible was/is a real common practice all across rural America.

For my own part, coming from a non gun-owning family I finally talked 'em into letting me get a Savage .22 over 20 gauge when I was sixteen. Used to keep it and the ammo in my closet in those less suspicious days.

Through my own son's childhood OTOH everything was kept locked up, for fear of burgulary and of what his FRIENDS might do.

Birdwatcher

By the time I was 13 in the year 1967 I was allowed to go unsupervised with a firearm.
At that same age a friend of mine was with another group of closely aged other teens and was accidentally shot in the back of the head by a 20 gauge and killed.
This had a profound impact on me and to this date have never had any sort of negligent discharge of a firearm.
I feel for this boy and the horror his young friend is going to face.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Update from whnt.com :
[Linked Image]
11-year-old Devin Grady

An accidental shooting involving two best friends in the fifth grade has left the town of Somerville in shock, sorrow, and prayer.

The boys were hunting snakes with a shotgun on Wednesday around 8 p.m. when one accidentally shot the other in the face.

Sheriff Ana Franklin says last night when the incident happened, she feared the worst for 11-year-old Devin Grady. But within 24 hours, his condition has stabilized. He�s in critical condition, but alive.

�He was shot pretty much head-on, point-blank with a shotgun, and so the fact he lived through it is a testament to how strong this child was,� said Sheriff Franklin.

Franklin calls it a tragic accident and said no charges will be filed against the boy who fired the gun or his parents.

Franklin says they were home at the time and had talked previously with the boys about gun safety.

�You do your best to teach your kids how serious this is and how dangerous they are, but they�re kids,� Franklin said. �They�re 11 years old.�

The boys both attend Union Hill School. We talked with an administrator at the school on Thursday.

�Both boys are great kids, full of energy, love life, always smiling and they�re very close friends,� said Cindy Hammond. �You never see one without the other.�

School leaders at Union Hill brought in counselors to talk with the boys� classmates and clarify mis-information they had read on Facebook Wednesday night.

�They were asking �Is the student going to be ok?� �What happened?� �Mrs. Hammond, can we talk to him?�� Hammond said.

Hammond says the answers may come out over the next three to five days, as doctors watch Devin very closely in Huntsville Hospital�s Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.

Friends have set up a �Pray For Devin Grady� page on Facebook where you can get updates on Devin and offer prayers.

=====================
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sad story, I hope the boy recovers.

I was hunting by myself w'grandad's 16 gauge Model 12 (which I have today) when I was 7 years old (actually 7 1/2). I was NOT allowed to hunt with anyone other than an adult however. I later realized this was a pretty good policy made by my parents and grandparents.

My Grandad learned the hard way about hunting with other kids. He grew up with two brothers and was shot twice before he was 16 years old. Once he lost a toe. The other time part of the back of the calf of his leg was "shot out". He did tell me he was "stove up" in bed for about a year with that one. He was shot a third time, in his 20's, on a downtown street minding his own business.

Sorry for the ramble,
Rick

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Terrible terrible thing. Make sure you are teaching those kids their safety rules, folks.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
so very sad, young lives changed forever. i hope the young man did not lose his eyesight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,306
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.