Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Is it just me?

Damn I hate the looks of all the new pick ups.
Bulges, boxy looking, plastic everywhere.

I may have to buy a new one soon and am trying to cope with the new reality.

I drive A LOT.
Mileage and reliability are going to be my top criteria in finding a new ride.
I don't haul heavy trailers anymore, I'm going to retire soon and though I've liked full sized pickups most of my life, I am willing to downsize.

Silverado 1500?

F-150?

Or a rice burner?

Toyota Tacoma 4 door?

If you guys had to start over what would it be?

Another Tacoma.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My Toyota experience is limited to just 3; a 1995 Land Cruiser (RIP) that we bought at ~90k and ran to 180k before it was totaled last year... the '06 Tundra 4wdI bought new... and our '05 rav4 we just got to replace the Cruiser.

The Cruiser had (1) thing happen from 90k-180k miles. A caliper locked up and ate the rotor before my wife noticed it.

The Tundra has a failed tire-pressure sensor. 70k miles. I use it as a truck quite a bit. It's not babied. Love it. And flat hauls ass if you stomp it.

Too soon to say on the RAV. We did have to replace the alternator, which shocked everyone; even finding a rebuilt one was a little tricky as the pipeline hasn't filled yet because so few have failed. I suspect they got water in it when they cleaned the engine at the dealership. At any rate it seems to be a good car- knock on wood.

If I needed a truck for truly heavy duty "truck" stuff I'd be looking at F250 and 350 and maybe the big diesel Dodge. Personally I need a truck to be a wolf in sheep's clothing that is a truck when I want it to be but easy to deal with otherwise. My Tundra has been that in spades.

I'd buy another Toy in a second. Made in America is a very nice bonus.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by hunter01
Originally Posted by Foxbat
I'm surprised the resident communist buys Toyota. You'll get mugged in Youngstown if your UAW buddies find out you're disparaging Government Motors.

Hey azzhole, I've been following your posts in here for a while. You are one sick, twisited, mislead, ARROGANT guy..............You really like yourself, don't you...? Good thing, cuz nobody else does... GET HELP!

Go cry to your union that you're being bullied on the internet. I'm sure they'll help you with your feelings.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U.S. Assembly Plants:

Toyota -

TMMMS
TMMK
TMMTX
TMMI

4.... that's it, unless someone knows of another that isn't listed.

GM -

Arlington
Bowling Green
Hamtranck
Fairfax II
Flint
Ft. Wayne
Lansing Delta
Lansing Grand River
Lordstown
Shreveport
Spring Hill (scheduled to reopen)
Wentzville

12 to 4, pretty [bleep] simple math even Toyota leg humpers can understand... or not.

The Shreveport plant is still open but, it is scheduled to close this summer.

Toyota has a large presence in the United States with six major assembly plants in Huntsville, Alabama; Georgetown, Kentucky; Princeton, Indiana; San Antonio, Texas; Buffalo, West Virginia and Blue Springs, Mississippi.

Last edited by Oldmanms2003; 05/24/12.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Oldmanms2003

Toyota has a large presence in the United States with six major assembly plants in Huntsville, Alabama; Georgetown, Kentucky; Princeton, Indiana; San Antonio, Texas; Buffalo, West Virginia and Blue Springs, Mississippi.

Buffalo and Huntsville are strictly engine/Transmission production. I didn't include GM engine/transmission plants or stamping plants or it would treble the total.

If we include engine and transmission assembly plants the totals jump to:

GM - 22

Toyota - 6

Now we're over 3:1 and ignoring another dozen U.S. GM plants that make everything else.

The earlier poster's claim was beyond exaggeration. It was an outright fabrication.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What's your point?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by ltppowell
What's your point?

Pretty obvious.

Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Toyota has more plants in this country then the big 3 and they have a design center here as well. They have vendors located in this country which supply most of the parts used in these cars/trucks. They constantly upgrade state of the art factories here unlike GM,Ford and Chrysler which flee to other countries. If they made a pos like GM and GM made the better product then GM would be in demand and not the other way around. GM lays off people. Toyota hires people and builds plants even in a economic downturn. Toyota's net corporate profits go to Japan and the rest of the world that invests in their stock. They are the number 1 car company in the world for a reason.

Where the hell did you pull that shyt from? GM alone has 3 times the number of assembly plants here in the U.S. as Toyota and 5+ times the total number of plants including engine and components.

Even smaller Ford has twice as many assembly plants here as Toyota.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You expected me to go back pages? smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You expected me to go back pages? smile

Naw, but I couldn't go find the earlier quote for you, without giving you some grief. wink

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Buffalo and Huntsville are strictly engine/Transmission production. I didn't include GM engine/transmission plants or stamping plants or it would treble the total.

GM - 22

Toyota - 6

Now we're over 3:1 and ignoring another dozen U.S. GM plants that make everything else.

The earlier poster's claim was beyond exaggeration. It was an outright fabrication.

I agree!

My neighbor got laid off because the Shreveport plant is closing. They are down to a skeleton crew.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

I agree!

My neighbor got laid off because the Shreveport plant is closing. They are down to a skeleton crew.

I'm sad to hear that. My H3T was built in Shreveport.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Foxbat; 05/24/12.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just bought a f150 a couple of months ago. Used 2011 with 18k miles on it. Got it for 24k out the door. I like the tundra looks better but the back seat on the f150 crew is sooooo much better than anything else on the market (kids ya know) and I felt the F150 is a truck while the tundra is a wannabe. I got the 3.7L V6 and it's not wanting for much. I don't tow much but feel like it could handle most light to mid duty applications while getting up to 23 mpg on highways at 55-60 MPH.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Toyota has a large presence in the United States with six major assembly plants in Huntsville, Alabama; Georgetown, Kentucky; Princeton, Indiana; San Antonio, Texas; Buffalo, West Virginia and Blue Springs, Mississippi. You drive a Hummer what the [bleep] would you know about anything mechanical. Toyota opens plants GM closes them in the US End of story.

GM - 22

Toyota - 6

22 plants vs 10 toyota plants. 64000 GM workers vs 17600 Toyota workers. That is not counting vendors assembling parts like you are probably counting. 3 x the workers making a quality product not some piece of [bleep].

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Quality sells itself.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Toyota has a large presence in the United States with six major assembly plants in Huntsville, Alabama; Georgetown, Kentucky; Princeton, Indiana; San Antonio, Texas; Buffalo, West Virginia and Blue Springs, Mississippi. You drive a Hummer what the [bleep] would you know about anything mechanical. Toyota opens plants GM closes them in the US End of story.

GM - 22

Toyota - 6

22 plants vs 10 toyota plants. 64000 GM workers vs 17600 Toyota workers. That is not counting vendors assembling parts like you are probably counting. 3 x the workers making a quality product not some piece of [bleep].

22 plants versus 6 plants. That only includes vehicle and engine/trans assembly OWNED by GM and Toyota. No vendors, no stamping, no parts plants, no subcontractors...

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Quality sells itself.

I have tried time after time buying GM and Chrysler products and I have no luck with them. I used to be a truck manager at a Ford dealership many years ago, we never got the trucks back ever for anything. I just cannot warm up to the styling on the new ones. Unless GM gets bought by Toyota I will not touch another GM anything ever again.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

GM - 22

Toyota - 6

22 plants versus 6 plants. That only includes vehicle and engine/trans assembly OWNED by GM and Toyota. No vendors, no stamping, no parts plants, no subcontractors...

I don[t know where you are getting these numbers . The number that kills your argument is 64k workers vs 176k in the US and the number one selling vehicle in the world.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What I find funny about this thread is that it is so much like the experiences I had last summer with truck dealers. The guys with the quailty products won't say anything bad about the competition...the others don't do anything else.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Darrel
Caterpillar trucks are NOT made by Caterpillar. THey are made for Cat by International/Navistar or whatever name International is using these days! They are marked/badged as Cat but you can buy the same truck with a Ford or GM nameplate on it, too. Cat got out of the truck business (highway) effective Jan. 1, 2009, and do not even make truck engines anymore. ALL of their truck engine manufacturing, design, engineering, etc,, including the plants making them was sold to Navistar, effective 1/1/2009. Cat DOES, under Navistar license, service them though! Please, just keep it straight. I've worked for Cat since 1/3/69. The only trucks currently made by Caaterpillar are OFF-ROAD trucks for construction and mining with capacities starting around 20 tons!

Correct sir, but the on highway trucks are designed and engineered by Cat. The frames are also much taller and stronger than it's International cousin. Many of the engine parts are also genuine Cat parts, including blocks. With on highway trucks, suspensions, brakes, axles etc are made by many other manufacturers. The automatic transmission is also genuine Cat and is going to put a big hurt on Allison IMO. They have a real nice product here, and we are starting to sell quite a few of them.

Over 40 years at Cat, that's impressive.

Last edited by cooperfan; 05/24/12.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Quality sells itself.

I guess so:

2012 Light truck sales YTD through April 2012:

F Series - 191,280
Silverado - 126,387
Ram - 88,590
Sierra - 47,271
Tacoma - 43,020
Tundra - 27,653

Ouch.... Even Sierra is beating it. I expected the big 3 to still be leading but that's an ass kicking. It has to be the fugly factor, because every thing else Toyota makes, sells itself.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/05/april-2012-top-15-pickup-truck-sales.html

[Linked Image]

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (257_X_50, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,522
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.