Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
hbc01 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thinking about starting to reload. I don't shoot that much, and I don't care too much about the cost. I like the idea and its a great hobby, but trying to make the decision on buying a Dillion Reloader or go cheap and buy a Lee that could do riffle someday. Just wanted to make sure that if Im going to reload 9 and 10 mm that I should go down this road or just keep buying Double Tap ammo. Any thoughts form you reloaders our there. I have never reloaded before.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You need to shoot more.

Reloading the 10mm, yes.
9mm, depends..
rifles - yes.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Exactly what Rancho said. I have two 10mm Glocks and would never buy factory ammo, and for that matter would never buy a 9mm.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have many guns, having digested 500+ rounds, that have never seen a commercial round.

Spend your reload press money once. I suggest you stay away from the lower end stuff like Lee. That's my opinion. My single stage press is an RCBS Rockchucker that I wouldn't trade for anything.

My progressive is a Hornady which was chosen for its simplicity & fewer moving parts. Dillon's have a lot of moving parts.

I started out reloading so I could shoot more. Now, I shoot so I can reload more.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'd get a single stage press first, though what to buy to get going is another story in itself. Definitely worth doing, but get good counsel and be well informed. Build good habits from the start.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[quote=Reloder28]I have many guns, having digested 500+ rounds, that have never seen a commercial round.

Is that with the factory barrel or with a fully supported after market barrel?

I

Last edited by Bigbuck_12; 05/21/12.
hbc01 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Just wanted to know if you guys live in an area where you do not have a store that carries double tap? And if so are they just too expensive?

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Probably not.
I say this as a long term reloader, some 54 yrs. worth and having loaded for 3 9's and still do load for a 10.
If you want something special in the way of accurate ammo, reloading can do great things. But if you are looking for extra power, forget it. Factory ammo has that well covered.
The 9mm and the 10mm are not easy rounds to reload, especially the 9. Just chasing the brass is a real chore at times.
There is lots of very high quality, and very deadly 9mm ammo availiable today. And tons of cheap practice ammo availiable. For the 10, I'd try the CCI Blazer ammo. Works very well in my gun. I hear good words from Remington UMC ammo users as well. For full power stuff, I like Hornady XTP ammo. E

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Hornady is nowhere near full power 10mm. For lots of 10mm reloading info, try the 10ring reloading forum:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bigbuck_12
[quote=Reloder28]I have many guns, having digested 500+ rounds, that have never seen a commercial round.

Is that with the factory barrel or with a fully supported after market barrel?

I

All factory barrels.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
When discussions turn to 10mm I always like to throw the 45 Super into the mix. It's a highly qualified option that is way too overlooked.

Robert E. Lee
hbc01 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
why would you say they are not easy to reload?

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by Reloder28
When discussions turn to 10mm I always like to throw the 45 Super into the mix. It's a highly qualified option that is way too overlooked.

Probably because it's not as easy. For 10mm, go buy a glock, then buy or reload 10mm ammo. For 45super, go buy a gun, get it converted, then reload some ammo. And if you like glocks, both glock and all the 45super conversion houses say you're pretty much out of luck. Though the internet will happily tell you to upgrade your spring and just blast away. Glocks have enough issues with staying in battery and unsupported barrels to make that a less than comforting answer.

I'd love to run 45super in my glock 30, personally. I just don't feel like being a test pilot when I can grab my 29 instead.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Your link didn't make your point.
The 10mm is one of those rounds that can go critical fast. Small case, big bullet and most ammo is loaded with heavier bullets.
For loading data, reloading forums are full of guys that "work up" loads rather than follow, exactly, published, pressure tested data. You can, to some extent, do that with a rifle, but handguns, particularly semi auto pistols, react badly to such procedures. Even factory ammo, like some of the older Norma loads were welll over the SAAMI pressure limits.
The only underloaded 10mm ammo is the Federal Htdra-Shok ammo and the CCI Blazer stuff. E

hbc01 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I guess Im still not solid on if I should reload for 10mm. I can get Double Tap ammo, its expensive, but they have a good reputation on loading a good 10 mm. I the type of guy that follows direction to the T. I have no desire to load hot and push the limits.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E likes to read his own made up horror stories..

I found the 10mm easy to reload for, and would go that route over shelf ammo any day.

Rifle ammo is a no brainer..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Your link didn't make your point.
The only underloaded 10mm ammo is the Federal Htdra-Shok ammo and the CCI Blazer stuff. E

Well, this is a reloading forum. But if you want to see good 10mm velocities in factory ammo, go look at buffalo bore, the sadly defunct swampfox, or there are a couple of others. Heck, even doubletap with it's incorrectly claimed velocities bests that hornady load.

But enjoy your long cased .40s&w.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Buffalo Bore doesn't follow SAAMI standards for their ammo. I've seen, witnessed, two instances where their ammo has locked up two different Marlin .45-70's with ammo that the boxes said was loaded for those rifles.
As far as Double Tap's ammo goes, their 200 gr. loads are for their hard cast bullets not the Hornady XTP which can't be loaded that hot while staying in SAAMI spec limits.
My handloads with DD's hard cast 200 gr. bullets equal their factory ballistics. E

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by hbc01
I guess Im still not solid on if I should reload for 10mm.

You should. They aren't a coiled snake waiting to strike. Use loads from reputable manuals and you're golden. If you have a Glock an aftermarket barrel is recommended.

P.S. Blue Dot works well.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,690 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.