Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG

FreeMe posted photo's of Ruger mags. IIRC, they were hybrid-type.

Yes, they are hybrids.

I've used the Ruger mags, Novak (ACT) mags, Colt mags, and Checkmate (Colt-spec) mags in my SR1911. All fed 230gr round-nose, 230gr HP, and 200gr SWC with no problems. The Ruger mags (made by Checkmate, BTW) seem to be very good quality. I've noticed that seating depth can be pretty critical with SWC. Try seating them a little farther out.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'll never buy anything made by those Checkmate mofo's, ever. There are probably a few dead GI's from those POS Beretta mags they foisted off on the military.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
The pistol came with two ruger mags, a 8 rounder and a seven rounder. The top rear of the 7 rounder matched other 1911 mags in that it had a rectangular cut in it, the 8 rounder had a semi round cut in the top rear. What this means i don't have a clue.
But they are different. It was the 8rounder i was using when the gun malfunctioned.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/22/12.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I'll never buy anything made by those Checkmate mofo's, ever. There are probably a few dead GI's from those POS Beretta mags they foisted off on the military.

I couldn't remember hearing details of this, so I had a look around - and found this...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235588

and this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_M9 (scroll down to "Controversy")

I think full disclosure is called for with such an accusation. Anything I'm missing here?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
The pistol came with two ruger mags, a 8 rounder and a seven rounder. The top rear of the 7 rounder matched other 1911 mags in that it had a rectangular cut in it, the 8 rounder had a semi round cut in the top rear. What this means i don't have a clue.
But they are different. It was the 8rounder i was using when the gun malfunctioned.

I seriously doubt that the cut-out had anything to do with the FTF. I don't know, but if I had to guess.......The 8-round mag is a later design. There have been reports of mags with the square cut cracking at the right-angle in that cut, in various brands of mags. Makes sense that if it's gonna happen, it would happen there. Logical way to address that would be to make subsequent designs with a circular cut - just like drilling a hole in the end of a fracture to stop it's spread.

Just out of curiosity, what is the OAL of your SWC load?

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by FreeMe

I seriously doubt that the cut-out had anything to do with the FTF. I don't know, but if I had to guess.......The 8-round mag is a later design. There have been reports of mags with the square cut cracking at the right-angle in that cut, in various brands of mags. Makes sense that if it's gonna happen, it would happen there. Logical way to address that would be to make subsequent designs with a circular cut - just like drilling a hole in the end of a fracture to stop it's spread.

Just out of curiosity, what is the OAL of your SWC load?

The OAL is 1.160.
I was going to go out this afternoon and run some through several different mags, metalforms, colt and so on, plus the smaller ruger mag to see what happened. Since it's going to be 108 or something like that in the shade today, this afternoon it ain't gonna happen, maybe tomorrow morning.
Another question, Ruger made these for right handed people, was thinking about putting an ambi safety on it for left handed people like me, any suggestions as to the safety manufacturer?
I like a positive click engage/disengage, and don't want it to have ears that allow it to fly.
Thoughts?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not the guy to ask about the ambi safety. Other than stuff I've read and forgotten most of - including that some are better than others - I don't know anything about 'em, since I don't have any need or desire for one.

You might try bringing that OAL out to 1.250. That's what my Oregon Trail load book suggests for their 200gr Lazer Cast SWC, and it's what I'm using.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I couldn't remember hearing details of this, so I had a look around - and found this...

and this...

I think full disclosure is called for with such an accusation. Anything I'm missing here?

You are FOS dude. I saw the mags jam repeatedly in training BEFORE they went overseas. I STILL see an occasional "deathmate" magazine on the line where I teach. I instruct the GI to take a Leatherman and break the [bleep] feed lips on it and turn it in to supply.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

and this...

You are FOS dude. I saw the mags jam repeatedly in training BEFORE they went overseas. I STILL see an occasional "deathmate" magazine on the line where I teach. I instruct the GI to take a Leatherman and break the [bleep] feed lips on it and turn it in to supply.

Hey - I'm not making any claims to be FOS about. You made the accusation without any explanation - so I went looking because I'm curious, and that is what I found. And I asked - what am I missing? Seems there should be some history of the issue I can learn about without being called FOS or having to rely on the word of one person.

edit: And before you get bent out of shape - that "one person" I'm referring to isn't you. It's the one guy on one of those threads who claimed CM M9 mags were out-of-spec even disregarding the phos finish.

Last edited by FreeMe; 05/22/12.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Hey - I'm not making any claims to be FOS about. You made the accusation without any explanation - so I went looking because I'm curious, and that is what I found. And I asked - what am I missing? Seems there should be some history of the issue I can learn about without being called FOS or having to rely on the word of one person.

edit: And before you get bent out of shape - that "one person" I'm referring to isn't you. It's the one guy on one of those threads who claimed CM M9 mags were out-of-spec even disregarding the phos finish.

I apologize for that, in that case. But don't accuse me of retailing internet rumors, I know of what I speak, from personal experience.

You may be correct in that that procurment officers of the US Army are too [bleep] stupid to have any idea what their troops need. The fact still remains that Checkmate is ultimately responsible for putting magazines in the fall-back weapon of our troops engaged in urban combat. That is a [bleep] fact.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 05/22/12. Reason: spellin'
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm not the guy to ask about the ambi safety. Other than stuff I've read and forgotten most of - including that some are better than others - I don't know anything about 'em, since I don't have any need or desire for one.

You might try bringing that OAL out to 1.250. That's what my Oregon Trail load book suggests for their 200gr Lazer Cast SWC, and it's what I'm using.

I think you might have solved the issue: I got to looking at my lyman manual and i was using the 452630 mould which duplicates pretty close the H*G no 68 200gr swc. It calls for a 1.235 oal. Right next to it is a 200gr 452460 which calls for a 1.161 oal. I think i know what i did. I originally started seating the 452630 bullet so the ledge was just a fraction above the case mouth, at a longer oal i was having trouble with them not running in a sig220.
Which goes to prove all pistols are different.
I will have to run some of them out and see if that makes a difference.
Another little interesting to me factoid. In the 452460 200 grain bullet it calls for a max load of 5.0grains of bullseye. In the 452630 200 grain bullet it shows a max load of 6.2grains of bullseye. Quite a bit of different between two 200grain lead bullets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hope that little adjustment gets you up and running, Ron.

TAK - I'm not going to comment on procurement officers. And I can understand your grudge. I haven't heard any bad about the current CMI 1911 mags though.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
some might find the following of interest: there is a good picture in there of my short col 200grainer riding high and i found out today it was hitting the hood of the barrel. I guess those i loaded are going to have to go out of a revolver.
On the other hand i shot a glock 21 today and was surprised how easy recoiling it was. Lead bullets too.
http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines2/
here is the original article:
http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/23/12.

Q
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Q
[quote=FreeMe][quote=RoninPhx]Another question, Ruger made these for right handed people, was thinking about putting an ambi safety on it for left handed people like me, any suggestions as to the safety manufacturer?
I like a positive click engage/disengage, and don't want it to have ears that allow it to fly.
Thoughts?

http://shopruger.com/SR1911-Ambi-Safety-Stainless/productinfo/12400/

I put this one in seemed pretty simple, took some minor fitting.

Last edited by QSX15; 05/24/12.

"When a man with a pistol meets a man with a rifle, the man with a pistol is a dead man."
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by QSX15
[quote=FreeMe][quote=RoninPhx]Another question, Ruger made these for right handed people, was thinking about putting an ambi safety on it for left handed people like me, any suggestions as to the safety manufacturer?
Thoughts?

http://shopruger.com/SR1911-Ambi-Safety-Stainless/productinfo/12400/

I put this one in seemed pretty simple, took some minor fitting.

i ordered one of those last night, as to the ruger it was running fine today with a longer c.o.l.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Little followup on that ruger, i had that ambi novak safety ruger sells on the pistol today, works just fine. Gunsmith said he would recommend on others i was to do this to to use the kimber version as it didn't require the small pin to hold in place.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (338rcm, 1minute, 338reddog, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,481
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.