Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Whenever I manage to settle back home for good a heeler will be had within weeks. Fine looking pup there.

Conduct is the best proof of character.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a soon to be 3 y/o male Blue Heeler (Hazer) and a year and half female Blue Heeler (Tequilla). They are a neat breed. Always at my side, but sledom under foot. She is a true watch dog. I know right away if anyone or anything comes in my yard. He on the other hand doesn't make a sound, but is more likely to let you know he knows you're there. The UPS guy won't get out of his truck no more unless he sees me and Hazer is out.....

When my wife and I are at rodeos or horse shoes I have no fear that anyone will get in our trailer. BUT, if they know you, they will probably hold the door open for ya. Only dam bad habit she has is biting full beer cans...... got to make shure if she's tied to the trailer she can't reeach the cooler or I'll go thirsty.

Funny thing, my uncle lives behind me and has 2 male (fixed) Heelers, Neighbor up the road has 2 Red females. Next neighbor has one of each, neighbor on the other side had 3 Red (I think one male, 2 female). Gas guys have been in the area for last couple months (Marcellus well going in on owner of 2 Red females land). They keep asking us if we know there are a bunch of coyotes that run in a pack and are havoc on groundhogs and other small critters....

We all have cattle, and most of us don't tie our dogs, so I guess the Heeler posse must get together once in a while and go hunting....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Great looking pup Birdy..ane not trying to jack your thread but I lost my girl Belle at 7 years of age to cancer 16 days ago and my oldest lab Sam (9) also has an inoperable tumor. When the holes in my heart heal I need a pup.

No hijack at all eh, and I'm very sorry to hear about your dogs.

Don't stay too long without one, I figure a couple of good dogs around the house are indispensible.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
If she was mine, I'd call her "Tater".

Or maybe "biscuit".

I've been calling her "Taco", and "Biscuit" was a name I suggested to my wife, along with "Gordita".

I must be hungry too grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Used to have a Blue Heeler when I was married before. "Bandit" stayed with Carol and the kids, and before too long she informed me she had him clipped. Here exact words were "He didn't need them anyway"......makes me so glad I got out of there with mine intact! eek

Ole Bandit's gone now, but sure used to love watching him go after squirrels!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My Blue Heeler, Ruthie, is 14 years old now. I got her as a 6-7 week old pup. While she is showing her age in several ways, she is still in good health and the best and smartest dog I've ever partnered with.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Great looking pup Birdy..ane not trying to jack your thread but I lost my girl Belle at 7 years of age to cancer 16 days ago and my oldest lab Sam (9) also has an inoperable tumor. When the holes in my heart heal I need a pup.

No hijack at all eh, and I'm very sorry to hear about your dogs.

Don't stay too long without one, I figure a couple of good dogs around the house are indispensible.

Birdwatcher

Birdy:congrats on the new pup! Properly socialized they make an excellent 'do-anything' dog. Excelent choice!

As for Keith...I'm gonna give him a "puppy fix" when I haul home a new one myself in a couple weeks grin

Mine, like yours are getting up in years...the 'young' one is 10... frown

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, damn...

Turns out the little pooch has a flea tapeworm, AND she passed a roundworm this morning too.

Being veterans at the dog thing we have tapeworm pills on hand, and we have a "small dog" sized ivermectin/pyrantel heartworm pill that oughtta take out the nematodes too.

NOT what I was expecting tho...

Birdwatcher

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here's our heeler Lakota in her younger days.She is 12 now.A $50 dog and $1000 worth of enjoymnet.We got her to put the horses in and she did that great,but after one run with the mule,she told me to put them in myself.
No more daily walks now,going steps,she gets carried, and mostly just sleeps.Her play is about a minute and then it's to rest. She has slept in our bed all her life and stays with me until I go to bed.Then she walks with me,puts her two front feet up on the bed and I lift her up every night.Going to be hard when she goes.

[Linked Image]

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Birdwatcher,I had to put down my beloved Heeler in early February of this year.
She was 13 years and two months old.
This dog came right off a 450 acre cattle ranch near Navasota Texas and cost me $100 that I just happen to have won a few weeks before from a $2 lottery scratch ticket.
She was 8 weeks old and her ears were already totally erect.
She came from really sturdy stock and was never sick one day I owned her except the time she found one of my late Dad's spit out Scoal Bandits.
She got over that soon enough.
And since I live in an area that resembles little Mexico I always kept her as an inside guard dog and she was a real bitch to outsiders whether they be two legged or four.
Best dog I have ever owned and I have owned a bunch,mostly German Sheperds.
I refer to these dogs as pocket GSD's.
I miss my girl very much and need some time before taking this plunge again.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Here's my heeler Lucy. She's 8 and just starting to slow down. She still works hard but gets a touch stiff after a good day. I'm supposed to be getting a new pup the 1st of July. I need Lucy young enough to still work to help train the pup.

She cost the best $50 I ever spent.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Money well spent, Birdie! Good on you and I'll grieve with you when the time comes for grieving.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beautiful Pup !

Long may she run,....

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[Linked Image]

Figured I'd put a pic up of mine. Tequilla on the left, Hazer on the right.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ahh yes Chumley and your Tequilla has that arch typical Heeler glare that I loved so much from mine.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
This is Tide Jr,'s Pup, Daisy. She will be a year old in July.

[Linked Image]

Mrs. Tide's dog, Sadie Sue. She is somewhere around 11 or 12 years old. Recently lost and eye and is definitely slowing down, but she is definitely a great companion.

[Linked Image]

We love blue heelers.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A picture of Daisy on the day we brought her home.

[Linked Image]

A picture of Tracey and Sadie Sue.

[Linked Image]

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Great pup BW. That last photo tells me she is a winner also. I am sure you will enjoy many good times with her.

I had one of these from 1975 till 1991. She was totally loyal and like a second child to me. She saved me many steps around the cattle, which she owned, and was a constant companion in the pickup, tractor and combine cab with me. Having to put her down was the toughest thing I ever had to do. It's often said that a person gets one exeptional dog in their life and she was mine for sure. I just have never been able to get up enough courage to get another.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Really cool thread and some great Blue Heelers there.

Funny thing, I am about 5 miles from where the breed originated in the Hunter Valley of NSW, Australia right now. There is a Blue Heeler statue in the main street here.

Great dogs. They weren't always so when I was growing up not too far from here, had my arm torn open by one walking past it's house! Plus they would often let you into the yard, but not out grin

Cheers, Chris

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Rockdoc, If you could get a pic of that statue I'd love to see it

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.