Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
As many may know, I�ve had the desire for a .38 Super for quite a while. So this weekend I went on the prowl for one. Originally, I was hoping for something older in a Series 70 or earlier, but in all of NW Arkansas, .38 Supers are a pretty scarce item. Could have had a lightly used Taurus for a song. Found an RIA in bright nickel that lacked the ramped barrel and I came within an inch of buying it. But finally, it came down to a brand new Colt�s 1991 Series with �100 Years of Service� stamped on the right side. The Colt�s was quite a bit more and I left the place with chest pain having dropped a lot of coin on a fairly plain 1911. It wasn�t until I got it home and inspected it very closely that the anxiety went away (I�m anything but a rich man, and it�s RARE that I spend over $500 for a handgun�I tend to find damn good deals). But I intend this to be a �Legacy Gun�, one I�ll pass down to my kids when I�m gone.

I really love that classic 1911 look and this gun just seems to have it. My first concern at the gun shop was the finish. The new Colt�s blue finish is so very different from the finishes in the past. The very obvious polishing marks left on the flats from using a course polish compound just looks a bit rough. But the more I look at it, the more it�s drawing me in. The bluing is actually a very pleasing matte finish. It�s nice without reflecting too much light; kinda semi-opaque in appearance. Not the same sort of matte found with rust bluing or Carbona bluing, but still very nice.

As for the rest of the pistol, all I can say is; Colt�s quality is back in spades! I can�t find an imperfection anywhere on the entire pistol�seriously! I can�t remember the last time I�ve seen such attention to detail on a brand new factory gun; especially a 1911. No machine marks, no lines that are not perfectly straight, no casting seams on the internals; nothing. This is a 1991 which is basically a Series 80 pistol, but it�s so much nicer than any Series 80 that I�ve ever seen. In many ways it�s nicer than a Series 70 gun. It does have the synthetic trigger and mainspring housing that I�m very likely to keep. I�m definitely keeping the trigger�It matches the color of the gun perfectly, it�s long, but most importantly it�s LIGHT weight, which means if I decide to tune up the hammer/sear engagement, it will remain safe. Being synthetic means it will never attain the scratches on the side; it�s really a downright decent trigger. As for the mainspring housing, slightly mixed. I�m not offended by synthetic in the least. I dry fire practice every night, and I life fire every chance I get. So often the finish on the mainspring housing will get rubbed off, but that won�t happen with the synthetic one; and again, the color matches perfectly. The only reason I would change it is to change to an arched MSH for even more of a classic look; but I�m still out on that one, so I�ll just use it as it is now.

200 rounds into it and function is thus far 100% and accuracy seems very good.

The last Colt�s .38 Super I shot was about 2 years ago, and it was another new one; the XSE LW Commander in .38 Super. Again, build execution was nearly flawless, and after shooting it, I really regretted buying my S&W when I could have had the Colt�s for the same price. Not to disparage my S&W, it�s been a flawless performer, but it�s not flawless in the looks department, that�s for sure.

So given my more recent experiences with new Colt�s, I�d have to say the old Colt�s we all loved is back and their guns are very good.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If we lived closer I'd have to arm wrestle you for an opportunity to shoot that puppy.

Colt does seem to be building firearms that come a lot closer to custom than in the past.

Looks real nice for combat carrying.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Nice Kevin. I bought what appears to be the same pistol last year. It is an excellent shooter and it has functioned 100% from the first round fired. It would be an understatement to say I love it. I like it enough that I'm stalking a Commander in 38 Super.

The Aguila ammunition is relatively inexpensive and has performed well. I have some Silvertips and Georgia Arms 147 gr. Gold Dots as well. The Georgia is excellent ammunition and it's loaded properly - 1200 fps with the 147s. Their 124 gr. loads run 1350 according to GA but I haven't tried them. It's time to reload and save some $$$.

Great pistol. Enjoy and let us know how it is at the range.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice to see Colt getting back in the game, so to speak.
cool

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice gun.......I have a 9mm barrel for you Kevin...Picked it up this morning.

James Dunn

[email protected]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CONGRATULATIONS!

Looks like you have a fine weapon there. We all know the feeling of spending too much for a gun that will be a legacy firearm. The feeling goes away pretty quickly as the funds come back into the household but the joy, pride and all that ocmes with such a firearm never diminish in my view.

When faced with such a 'dilmena' I think of all of the rifles people have showed to me that were handed down to them by THIER dad's and grandpa's etc. Too many Remington model 721's, Mossberg and Savage bolt action of the 50's etc and FAR too few Model 70's or Weatherbys. If only those dads had spent a little more money and obtained a GOOD gun to hand down! The sone or grandson now would still have a nice rifle to be rpud of and hunt with instead of an ugly piece of crapola that just sits and neccesitates the kid now trying to get his hands on a decent weapon.

Short verion, GOOD on ya for getting such a piece. The joy of ownership will stay for generations yet to come, the pain of the purchase will fade quickly.

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
As many may know, I�ve had the desire for a .38 Super for quite a while. So this weekend I went on the prowl for one. Originally, I was hoping for something older in a Series 70 or earlier, but in all of NW Arkansas, .38 Supers are a pretty scarce item. Could have had a lightly used Taurus for a song. Found an RIA in bright nickel that lacked the ramped barrel and I came within an inch of buying it. But finally, it came down to a brand new Colt�s 1991 Series with �100 Years of Service� stamped on the right side. The Colt�s was quite a bit more and I left the place with chest pain having dropped a lot of coin on a fairly plain 1911. It wasn�t until I got it home and inspected it very closely that the anxiety went away (I�m anything but a rich man, and it�s RARE that I spend over $500 for a handgun�I tend to find damn good deals). But I intend this to be a �Legacy Gun�, one I�ll pass down to my kids when I�m gone.

I really love that classic 1911 look and this gun just seems to have it. My first concern at the gun shop was the finish. The new Colt�s blue finish is so very different from the finishes in the past. The very obvious polishing marks left on the flats from using a course polish compound just looks a bit rough. But the more I look at it, the more it�s drawing me in. The bluing is actually a very pleasing matte finish. It�s nice without reflecting too much light; kinda semi-opaque in appearance. Not the same sort of matte found with rust bluing or Carbona bluing, but still very nice.

As for the rest of the pistol, all I can say is; Colt�s quality is back in spades! I can�t find an imperfection anywhere on the entire pistol�seriously! I can�t remember the last time I�ve seen such attention to detail on a brand new factory gun; especially a 1911. No machine marks, no lines that are not perfectly straight, no casting seams on the internals; nothing. This is a 1991 which is basically a Series 80 pistol, but it�s so much nicer than any Series 80 that I�ve ever seen. In many ways it�s nicer than a Series 70 gun. It does have the synthetic trigger and mainspring housing that I�m very likely to keep. I�m definitely keeping the trigger�It matches the color of the gun perfectly, it�s long, but most importantly it�s LIGHT weight, which means if I decide to tune up the hammer/sear engagement, it will remain safe. Being synthetic means it will never attain the scratches on the side; it�s really a downright decent trigger. As for the mainspring housing, slightly mixed. I�m not offended by synthetic in the least. I dry fire practice every night, and I life fire every chance I get. So often the finish on the mainspring housing will get rubbed off, but that won�t happen with the synthetic one; and again, the color matches perfectly. The only reason I would change it is to change to an arched MSH for even more of a classic look; but I�m still out on that one, so I�ll just use it as it is now.

200 rounds into it and function is thus far 100% and accuracy seems very good.

The last Colt�s .38 Super I shot was about 2 years ago, and it was another new one; the XSE LW Commander in .38 Super. Again, build execution was nearly flawless, and after shooting it, I really regretted buying my S&W when I could have had the Colt�s for the same price. Not to disparage my S&W, it�s been a flawless performer, but it�s not flawless in the looks department, that�s for sure.

So given my more recent experiences with new Colt�s, I�d have to say the old Colt�s we all loved is back and their guns are very good.

[Linked Image]

Good choice. I have threatened to buy one of those for a while. Sure wish they had a variation that had the adjustable sights, without going to the expense of a Special Combat Gov't.

The triggers are too long for me, and I like a checkered MSH, but otherwise they are indeed very nice pistols.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just thought of something.... for the same money spent you could have probably bought a Taurus 38 Super AND a Mossberg bolt action rifle (or an A-bort)! THEN your legacy could have been "ICK! What was dad/Grandpa SMOKIN! smile "

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesDunn
Oh you KNOW I'm interested!! I'll be e-mailing you pronto.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by JamesDunn
Oh you KNOW I'm interested!! I'll be e-mailing you pronto.

Fun, fun, fun.... Enjoy. I think the Super cartridge is the cat's azz. And I can see the attraction of a 9mm barrel as well.

IC B3

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, both James and I just LOVE the Super, it�s a great cartridge. But for me at least, the 9mm option is about half the fun. .38 Super ammunition is neither abundant or cheap, so having the 9mm option just lets you get more mileage. And the two have very similar trajectories, so shooting the 9mm is nearly the equivalent of the Super so it makes for good training. Swap recoil springs to a 22 pounder and you can shoot 9x23 Winchester for the full .357 magnum effect. Add in a .22 conversion unit and you�re just set.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ya just can't go wrong if it has the "pony" stamped on it Kevin, nice pistol Sir.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've not shot the 9x23 but think it would be interesting... laugh

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
nice purchase!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Very nice pistol Mr. Gipson, congratulations.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Looks a lot like mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldRooster
I've not shot the 9x23 but think it would be interesting... laugh

I have. It was pretty fiesty, running 125's at 1525 fps or so, across my chrono.

Dang I just remebered I still have one of those (alegedly) Vietnamese modified 1911 barrels, sleeved for the 7.62x25. I actually fired one shot through it, too...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am not a big hand gunner by any means but do carry and own a few pistols. The 38 Super is my favorite pistol cartridge and being my primary carry which is a 1959 Commander model worked over by Bob Chow sometime in the 70's. At times, seeing what Chow pistols and early commanders are worth, I should have not carried it for all these years as the bluing is heavily worn and the checkered grips are flat. Then again it was made as a carry pistol by the person who had it built.

Have a ball with your Super!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Nice trigger break, a long trigger and a flat main spring housing ? Oh, man ! I'm in love already !
What kind of groups ? What kind of sights ?
Had to pass on an alloy framed Commander in .38 Super some months ago. You wouldn't believe what they wanted for that thing. E

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Very nice gun Kevin.... I know we disagree but the first thing that I do with one of these is get rid of the plastic... I prefer an arched mainspring housing anyway so getting a serrated steel one is just a necessity. The plastic trigger is replaced with one of the aluminum ones with three hole design and with the overtravel takeup screw...

The 9x23 is a real HotRod. The boxes that I chronographed ran 1440 for the SilverTip and 1460 for the Soft Point. That is full .357 Magnum from a 4" barreled revolver velocities.... I run a 24# spring with full length guide rod and buffer. Slide velocity has to be seen to be appreciated... One of the posters over on the 1911 Forums converted his XSE Commander to 9x23. Another guy on the S&W Forums converted a Kimber Aegis to 9x23!! There is more to it than just having the chamber lengthened and getting a short .38 Super magazine... Both the mainspring and hammer spring have to be balanced and the firingpin stop angled to help slow the slide down...

With all you guys running around driving up the price of Supers I am glad I already have mine....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 71 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,783
Posts18,495,955
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.