Print Thread
Hop To
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Recently had tools stolen from the back of my truck where I've been living while building a new house. The incident has prompted me into getting a motion detection system to alert me when losers/thieves are near my vehicles/driveway in the AM hours.

I have contemplated this idea in the past but was worried a dog/cat would set the system off and I would be running outside just to kick an animals ass. smile

Anyone recommend or have a similar alert system they use? Ive seen wireless one's online, but not sure if this is the way to go.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
You can put up flood lights with motion detectors. They are inexpensive, but will go off with anything going by. Would work as a deterrent at least.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A customer of ours has a property that opens onto the beach at the back, they've installed a photo beam, similar to the ones that operate a buzzer in store doorways, across the back of their property that is wired up to a buzzer in their bedroom and to their flood lights.
They installed it after their copper down pipes and guttering were stolen.

So far they claim rain and pets don't set it off but there's only been a few really stormy nights since they installed it.

The original international turd
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
if you can afford it, the best way to go is an IP camera attached to your network...I have cameras all over my property just for this purpose.

Most of them have a motion detection system built in....I have mine behind the windows inside the house and it works fine. The alarm can be set so that a message gets sent to your smart phone if you like....or you can simply have a buzzer go off....any RS232 device can be attached.

My choice of camera is Axis....but there are many. Even the inexpensive Linksys cameras will work but the picture quality will not be great....but you want it for the motion detection/alarm anyway and the image would just be a bonus.

When a column of troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Land mines??

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If possible, a big fur wrapped azz eater. They detect intruders and can deal with them. cool

Motion sensor lights can be a deterent but sometimes give them light to work by. mad

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 05/26/12.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have used a trail camera with good sucess. The camera caught a guy in the garage and got a great picture of him. The local DA and superior court judge liked it too.

Harry
G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

trail cameras work, if the police is really interested.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When living in Ms., I had a shed with lean-to's on 3 sides, about 75yds. behind the house. It had tools, boat, lawn mowers, etc. in it. After catching a fellow trying to steal a tackle box, (lucky I caught him), I built a security system.

I used motion detectors (adjusted so dogs, cats, etc. wouldnt trigger them), to turn on all the shed lights and activate a horn. All this was turned on at night by a 7 day timer and turned off early in the morning, thus during the day I didnt trip the system. During the day, a strobe light flashed, in a window, where it could be seen. Everyone thought the system was on, while the strobe light was flashing, when actually, it was off. Someone approached the shed one night, (I got a glimpse of them running away), and set the system off. Word got around quick that that place was off limits and I never had another problem.

The fact that I emptied a shotgun into the air, in the general direction of the fleeing would be thieves, might have had something to do with me never having a problem again, too.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Recon by fire can be effective.

GBP are those actual pics of getting ripped off?

IC B3

G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
yea they are, but the police were not interested in them because of too much paperwork. i can't really blame them it was such a minor thing.
but then again i can't figure out why he just didn;t take the whole bike as it wasn't locked to anything and he could have wheeled it off quicker.

i guess he just wasn't a greedy thief

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by gbp
yea they are, but the police were not interested in them because of too much paperwork. i can't really blame them it was such a minor thing.
but then again i can't figure out why he just didn;t take the whole bike as it wasn't locked to anything and he could have wheeled it off quicker.

i guess he just wasn't a greedy thief

What exactly did that criminal SOB steal from you??

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slg888
Recently had tools stolen from the back of my truck where I've been living while building a new house. The incident has prompted me into getting a motion detection system to alert me when losers/thieves are near my vehicles/driveway in the AM hours.

I have contemplated this idea in the past but was worried a dog/cat would set the system off and I would be running outside just to kick an animals ass. smile

Anyone recommend or have a similar alert system they use? Ive seen wireless one's online, but not sure if this is the way to go.

Here's mine. smile If you don't want dogs and don't want to spend a bunch of money, put a couple of game cameras up high where a thief can't reach them easily. They'll take pics and the flash will alert them to the fact that they are being watched. Surveillance systems are a PITA.

[Linked Image]

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

467 members (1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 43 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,476
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.