Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Okay if I can remember how to post from photobucket. Last Sat I rode to NC Ark, in & around our Public Land Elk Territory. ALL permits are by draw. We have Public Land drawing & Private Land draw.

To enter the Private land draw, you must have signed written permission from the landowner.

The Public land is in a Nat'l Forrest and the hunts are at diff times.

The first pic is of the Ozark Mtns, S of the Elk area. Even at that the hunting territory is THIS SIDE of the horizon I just can not tell exactly where.

[Linked Image]
I was on top of a high mtn ridge as I approached.

This next pic is close enough to the area that the Southern border of the hunting area can be seen. I was immediately behind a guys house, that invited me to take pics there. He has to live with that scenery every day. POOR MAN frown
[Linked Image]

This pic is INSIDE the hunting area. On a street bike, I don't ride that many miles of dirt road to get close. In a diff direction, is where I rode thru some rugged territory that there was NO place to get a motorcycle off the road for pics. (sorry, I tried)
[Linked Image]

This pic is also inside the area looking NW. Probably in all the pics there is both Public & Private hunting land.
[Linked Image]

Now I have a couple or so down in the river valley. Here is a hay fied (processed) Normally early & late in the day the elk come down from the foothils and feed in these fields.
BTW, 1 farmer found a ROUND BAILER, even in Ark. grin
[Linked Image]

This is IN the Private area, elk are here but most of this land is privately owned.
[Linked Image]

This is 1 of 2 shin hi spotted fawns I saw Sat. They were both awkard as they trotted and he tried to run. I was only 20 yds away. They were very small. smile
[img]http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l591/kleingunther/HUNTING/photo-30.jpg[/img]

The larger pics were taken on my 'eyefone'. The digital does a better job of long distance pics.

I'm TARD, so I'll post a few more maybe tomorrow. I hope you enjoy.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a little different. Never been there, but very interested in going for a deer hunt at some point.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
exb - I have deer hunted due W of this area in both public & private land. There are deer and some large deer but this area does not hold the larger no.s of deer as S Ark.

Our elk herd is growing. Each yr there are a few more permits offered and snatched up. IF I added correctly in 2012 we have 59 permits (tags). Even if I missed the no. it's not by much.

I have entered the drawing every yr except one and I just let the deadline get away from me. No notification YET.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
there is great public hunting land in the area that is accessable only by foot or horse. i horse pack in about 3 miles for deer each year and see very few people.

the elk hunting would be quite tough if you dont know which haystack they are eating on.

while i have seen many elk up there i have seen only one elk while deer hunting.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice hills. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My nephew who lives in Siloam Springs, has put in for the Arkansas elk draw for several years but has yet to be lucky. Maybe one of these days.....?

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Leanwolf - Siloam is a pretty city in a very nice section of the State. I lived about 30 mi E of there for a few yrs.

Originally there were * 20 * permits made available. Now AFAICT there are only 59. So the % of the State's hunters who get to Elk hunt is MIGHTY SMALL.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back before they opened up the elk season, I saw some good ones just South of Harrison where Hwy 123 hits the Gene Rush wildlife management area. We were surveying a bridge at Mt. Judea and would see a 7x7 and a 6x6 a smaller 5x4 nearly every day. I saw a few elk where they have a place to view them at Ponca, but no big ones. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
miles... That's one of the areas where I took pics last Sat.

I'm not being critical, just an observation.

If you noticed my descriptions have been non specific, generic.

Thanks for the verification of our elk.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Nice hills. smile

Yeah, I know. Do you have any better in Kalifornea? grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Collared bull at Ponca, with some barbed wire:
[Linked Image]

Bugling
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wild Swans at Ponca
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SteveG; 05/30/12.

[Linked Image] Steve

"He wins the most, who honor saves. Success is not the test"--Ryan

Blog: http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=71
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

Bugling
[Linked Image]

[/quote]

Now you've messed us up -- all our elk are 'fenced'....... whistle grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
He's thinking.........which way is Colorado?

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SteveG

[Linked Image]

That ain't too shabby for an Ark bull elk !!

I have a friend that he & his wife have gone up several times and filmed the elk, early & late in/near the fields. He tells me he's seen more than 1 7x7 6x7 & 6x6s and of course several smaller bulls and the other members of that local herd.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
This next pic is a short view of the Buffalo River. The Buff runs quite a ways, haven't checked how long it is, and IIRCC it makes an arc from W toward NE.

[Linked Image]

This river runs thru some beautiful and rugged country. The next time I get to ride up, I'm going farther E and should get more good pics.

The next pic is one of my favs. I'm on a hi mtn looking nearly level to others and you can't see how deep or rugged it is. Yes guys, I know it's not 'Colo-tana' but you can get lost, literally and figuratively in its beauty.

[Linked Image]

I'm also partial to this one. Looks like a very good place to began a little spot - stalk. I know elk are in the vicinity and would love to hunt in semi-open terrain for elk or deer.

[Linked Image]

That's all for now, till after the next ride. Maybe Monday??

Last edited by jwall; 06/02/12.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

That's all for now, till after the next ride. Maybe Monday??

I left out to ride back to the territory this am. Got rained out. Rain moved E and sat right over the area where I was headed. I came home and swapped Today For Thursday.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Nice pictures and that is some beautiful country. Much of the area along the Buffalo is rugged country�.not Colorado but rugged with high bluffs and deep hollows.

I grew up along the Buffalo and have floated it from Ponca to where it flows into the White River at Buffalo City�.over 100 miles downstream from Ponca. There was some great small mouth fishing back then. I haven�t fished it in years but need to get back in the spring for the best fishing. We farmed and ran cattle along the river before the Feds took the land for the National Park/River. I still own some land a couple of miles off the river and the grandkids take a nice buck there every year or so.

Thanks for posting.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Hunt 41 - Thanks.

I've been back up there today and took a few more pics.

I'm tied up on the net right now. If possible I'll post some more tonight. If I can't get to it, I'll post some tomorrow.

Saw a few deer, 1 NICE buck, nearly hit 1 doe on mcy. ( I was on the mcy, the deer was on the ground. lol)

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
As I told Hunt 41, today my riding pard and I went back to NC Ark and took a few more pics.

Today I went to the East end of the Elk hunting territory and worked my way back in toward the center.

This first pic is of the Nat'l Park sign. Actually this is a few miles E of the hunting territory. This is a public access area for floating, swimming, fishing, etc.

[Linked Image]

That is my Suzuki 1200 Bandit and the next is my riding pard and his Suzuki V Strom 650.

[Linked Image]

This is a bridge across the Buffalo on Hwy 14 (E of the hunting territory)

[Linked Image]

This pic of OFF the bridge, canoes, people swimming, etc.

[Linked Image]

W E L L .. apparantly I've lost at least a couple of pics? ?

This one is across some private property, but from the center to the background is in the Elk public hunting land aka National Forrest.

[Linked Image]

Between 1:30 - 3:30 pm we saw about a dozen deer. Some were close to the road, others were a good piece away. One was a very nice buck. He had a big body and what antlers he had were very large. I know velvet makes antlers look bigger but I'm telling you they are going to be large.

He crossed the road close to me going down hill. One doe came out and ran alongside the hwy and then crossed right in front of us. We were both on the BINDERS very hard. He to keep from hitting the deer and me to keep from hitting my pard.

My front tire was scoot, scoot, scooting trying to stop w/o sliding out from under me. Luckily we both missed.
I don't know what happened to a couple or so more pics. If I can find them, I'll post them later.

I hope y'all enjoy the pics, I enjoyed the TASK grin of riding and taking them. Later.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (anothergun, 10gaugemag, BallisticBRYAN, 15 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 728 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,641
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.