Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I ain't feelin' the love Bush.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
TAK, You're among the countless. wink

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Allen, I have ignored most of your rants as they are not worth a response and I have seen you attack others here and elsewhere as you have done me for some years. I do not care what you think, am amused by your infantile and mendacious behaviour and will NEVER post ANY photos because YOU demand it.

I just found some of the few photos I have left from the relatively few I had taken over the years and I will take these and have them put on CDs and I will then, as I learn how, post them here. You will, no doubt, then try to find some other means of attacking me and I will still just chuckle at you and your behaviour.

Your reference to those who seem to agree with me and have for some years as ...blind faithers... is highly insulting to these people and it really reveals just what kind of person you actually are. However, I doubt that nearly as many here or elsewhere have any more "faith" in your raving lunacy than I do, so, have at 'er, sonny, whatever blows your skirt up.

One point, I actually feel sorry for anyone, even you, who holds such anger and animosity in his psyche for as many years as you have done towards me. This, is an indication of a "borderline personality type" as my wife, a longtime medical professional has said and, whether you ever accept me as I am, honest to the core and quite experienced, you have a major problem AMIGO, and I honestly hope you obtain the professional help with it that you so obviously require.

Relax a bit, Allen, you will never "win" anything by behaving as you have here and I have no animosity for you, just a certain sadness that a young guy would be so obsessive and angry about someone whom he has never met and probably never will meet.

Take care, life is more than this, Dewey.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"For what it�s worth, at present, I think Rokslide.com is probably one of the more valuable sources of information out there for the serious backcountry hunter."

It has some good info but nothing that hasn't been discussed here. It's been nice as since that forum came out there has been some great deals on used MR as I think you have to own some Kifaru items to register... I see the forum dwindling down as they have been discussing "do you manscape before a hunt" & "punk my list" Good info for sure.. They have had some good discussions though but it is a different vibe with different items discussed but repetative at times

I've had a # of Kifaru's since 2001 and Have a few Mystery Ranch packs now. All Kifarus have been sold but still use a Gunbearer and some Kifaru pockets and a MountainSmith Pulk. I picked up a Dana External to play with and ordered my HPG Compression and Highlander to try out this season for a limited WY Elk tag. Also Mystery Ranch has a new pack bag coming out that is a larger/lighter version of there Longbow. For me I really like the TriZip design on the smaller packs. Kifaru was always a very basic hunter oriented pack and with the Timberlines they have tried to change that. I can't warm up to the 2 pockets square in the middle of the pack and I like the side pockets but being open on the top and counting that in CU I just dont get. I always liked the Blaze sided fleece panels not because they were fleece but because they could atach to the pack but I have a MR Blaze top lid and load sling so do not need additional orange during rifle season.

As far as Kutenay, I've never PM'd him, takled to him, nothing but years ago he talked about Donny and Ron Kesselring on some forum so he must be into guns as you just couldn't make that up. As far as the rest, we'll see I guess but realy makes no difference to me.

Some pics in both MR and Kifaru for some proof for those that require it

Attached Images
KifaruSHEEP.jpg (69.55 KB, 556 downloads)
photo.JPG (39.95 KB, 177 downloads)
Last edited by Pete_E; 06/01/12.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ha!

Your take on this is truly fascinating Kutenay...albeit not surprising. Your illusory cognitive bias will apparently rationalize anything in order for you to continue avoiding the truth vis as vis your ad hoc hypotheses and informal fallacies. Given the sheer quantity of your endless bloviating about yourself, your experiences, your background - essentially all of which has been unsubstantiated, any competent shrink would pick you out as the one with the deep seated psychosis, not I. That is plain enough for all to see.

As I've said before, for someone that authoritatively posts as much as you do, you ought to be able to back it up occasionally with something more tangible than simply pecking on your keyboard and pressing submit.

Again I ask the forum to look at it this way: If someone posted ad nauseam on a well regarded tactical message board (Lightfighter.net comes to mind) under an anonymous user name that he was an ex Navy SEAL and opined for many years, with a bloated air of authority on all manner of weapon systems, gear, tactics, etc., but was never able to substantiate any of his claims when asked to do so,...don't you think that the SF Community would eventually call him out?

Again, of course they would.

I'm not suggesting that I'm the Lance Kronberger of this particular backpack hunting forum community, I am merely the guy that has the balls to step up and suggest that Kutenay, the Emperor of the Backpack Hunting Forum...wears no clothes.

Oh how we wish he'd finally put some on. wink grin

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very cool. That's an absolute beauty of a ram Pete! Did you ever do a write-up on your hunt? I'd love to read about it.

{EDIT} I get what you are saying with regard to the Rokslide forum in some respects. My point was more to the "staff", who have a substantial, and substantiated, amount of serious backcountry hunting experience. It's hard for a new forum to reach a critical mass when so much of what is worth talking about has already been hashed to pieces on this and other forums like Kifaru over the years. People get tired about talking about the same thing and the search function will answer most anyone's question, regardless of experience level.

Last edited by Bushcraft; 06/01/12. Reason: added additional commentary

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did a write upon the Bighorn but not the Dall. (got lucky and drew a Chugach 14C tag)

They have some great people for sure and some great info but some is amusing at times but not in a bad way just different

I used to be fairly brand specific but now incorporate other pieces from various manufacturers to get the desired result that works for me. Heck I still have 2 Kifaru Pack Covers which are great as they have an orange panel if needed on them. I also have a Kifaru rifle rain cover that I have yet to ever use (I may even have 2) I've sold a ton of gear at a loss to get where I am today and what works for me. The Dana External is an experiment but having grown up in a Jansport D frame I'm sure I will enjoy the nostalgia of an external. I wish I would have never sold for $20 at a garage sale..

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Bushcraft, you sure do spend a large, strange amount of time being concerned with what kutenay says, doesn't say, does, and doesn't do. If you're trying to look out for me and others, I appreciate that, but I don't need, nor want, your help. Thanks anyway. I'll be my own judge and jury.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Pete_E
"For what it’s worth, at present, I think Rokslide.com is probably one of the more valuable sources of information out there for the serious backcountry hunter."

It has some good info but nothing that hasn't been discussed here. It's been nice as since that forum came out there has been some great deals on used MR as I think you have to own some Kifaru items to register... I see the forum dwindling down as they have been discussing "do you manscape before a hunt" & "punk my list" Good info for sure.. They have had some good discussions though but it is a different vibe with different items discussed but repetative at times

I've had a # of Kifaru's since 2001 and Have a few Mystery Ranch packs now. All Kifarus have been sold but still use a Gunbearer and some Kifaru pockets and a MountainSmith Pulk. I picked up a Dana External to play with and ordered my HPG Compression and Highlander to try out this season for a limited WY Elk tag. Also Mystery Ranch has a new pack bag coming out that is a larger/lighter version of there Longbow. For me I really like the TriZip design on the smaller packs. Kifaru was always a very basic hunter oriented pack and with the Timberlines they have tried to change that. I can't warm up to the 2 pockets square in the middle of the pack and I like the side pockets but being open on the top and counting that in CU I just dont get. I always liked the Blaze sided fleece panels not because they were fleece but because they could atach to the pack but I have a MR Blaze top lid and load sling so do not need additional orange during rifle season.

As far as Kutenay, I've never PM'd him, takled to him, nothing but years ago he talked about Donny and Ron Kesselring on some forum so he must be into guns as you just couldn't make that up. As far as the rest, we'll see I guess but realy makes no difference to me.

Some pics in both MR and Kifaru for some proof for those that require it

Concerning Kesselring's Gunshoppe, many of us from BC used to often drive down the I-5 and take Exit 142, IIRC, to Alger, turn at that little tavern onto what I seem to recall was an old WA state highway and buy components from Ron, Don and their pleasant and knowledgable staff. The situation was that they actually HAD the powder, primers,etc, that were almost unobtainable here in Vancouver and area, especially after hunting season.

Then, you would see guns that you never see in a gunstore here and they were Dakota dealers,sending their own wood to Don Allen and his staff and having rifles built to their specs. I first went in 1989 and last in about 1999, as it became illegal for we Canadians to buy guns,etc. in the USA and I am not going to break the laws of a foreign country...or, my own, for that matter.

I bought my Dakota 76-.338WM from Donny, after saving for about four years and a couple of P-64 H&H actions, which I never did have rifles built on and subsequently sold to friends. I really liked Kesselring's and wish that I could still shop there and also see some of the staff,again, as they were very nice people.

One Saturday, I drove down and while there, met a large guy who was a forester, we had a really nice talk and he was shocked to find that all hunting in BC is "guided only" as he wanted to come and hunt a Moose. I gave him some tips on who to go with in respect of GOs, as sometimes the adverts in gun mags. are not always true, and having been around some of these operations, I have some idea as to who is worth spending your coin with and who is best avoided.

Yup,Kesselring's is a great gunshop and I miss going there and also that fantastic little Mexican restaurant on Linden Ave, I think, on the way home. We used to eat the most incredible food there and two of us could feast like kings for about $14.00....try that in Vancity, where sucf meals cost enough to fill your gas tank and are not nearly as good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You DO realize that without a photo, you never actually ate at that little Mexican restaurant on Linden Ave., regardless what "results" you got from the refried beans...... wink

.......just sayin. whistle

Sorry, couldn't resist. grin

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Bushcraft,

I don't make a habit of joining into Internet pissing matches.

However, I will simply point out that I have know kutenay for approximately 21 years. While I do not follow his postings, I do not believe he has at any time misrepresented himself in regard to his experience or possessions.

He has even worked for me a bit when I needed an extra hand getting my exploration crews mobilized, and in fact last year I had him arranged to be my representative on some placer ground I had leased to some Americans, as I knew he was not only comfortable in the remote locale, but could be completely trusted to collect royalties on my behalf. Unfortunately his wife's medical condition took a turn and he was unable to accept the assignment.

My fathers best friend, a Norwegian immigrant prospector who is over eighty years old, has spent more days in real wilderness than any man I've known and while he can describe mineral showings, horse wrecks, and mountain storms like he had seen them that morning, he (somewhat unfortunately) does not have a single photograph either. The more I think of it, the number of photos a person has seems to be relative to how unusual the occasion and experience actually was to that individual.

Originally Posted by Bushcraft
IMHO, is that this forum be a place of learning, mutual respect and even "friendship" and enjoyment for all, regardless of experience levels, kill count or gearm one prefers.

I've just got to chuckle at that one!

In your humble opinion you say??? Mutual respect regardless of experience levels...or gear one prefers???

That's really rich coming from you Kute.

I love the angle you're attempting to play here. Sadly, it's pathetically transparent. Of course most people would prefer "that this forum be a place of learning, mutual respect and even "friendship" and enjoyment for all, regardless of experience levels, kill count or gearm one prefers." Unfortunately, you habitually run your argumentative and opinionated mouth, regurgitating ad museum unsubstantiated elements of your background/experience on nearly all of the almost 6000 posts you've made on this message board.

NEWSFLASH: The unsubstantiated charade was tiresome when you first started posting on here and Kifaru a long time ago and like a cancer it has grown to be even more so now. We�ve all heard your speil before countless times! But we haven't seen a damn thing to substantiate any of it. That�s why you�ve been called out. If you can substantiate the things you say you are doing with some pictures. Fine. Great. Wonderful. I�ll have no doubt created more of an egomaniacal message board monster and even I will happily suffer through that eventuality. If not, well, you can go on being the charlatan that many here and elsewhere believe you to be. Your choice amigo!

If you wanted to increase the level of your respect around here, both among everyone that thinks you are a joke and your band of blind faithers, you would do well to emulate the likes of EdT, Luke Moffat, Docb, Evan Hill and countless others that don't engage in ongoing egomaniacal puffery (substantiated or otherwise), provide superlative reviews, and occasionally post a pic or two of trips where they are actually using their gear. Pictures are worth a thousand words as they say.

For what it�s worth, at present, I think Rokslide.com is probably one of the more valuable sources of information out there for the serious backcountry hunter.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by free_miner

"...... The more I think of it, the number of photos a person has seems to be relative to how unusual the occasion and experience actually was to that individual."

That is a great point. It is equivalent to the tourists who are snapping photo's of everthing; where if it is in an area that you have been to for years- you may think- "whats the big deal"

It also made me think of how few photo's I have of my first 35 years of outdoor activities. From scouts as a young lad- to in my 40's. Plus it has only been the last 10 or so years that I even justified to myself a reason why I should justify the wt. of carrying the camera. I think it took the digital camera deal and the instant gratification that it provides. It is kind of cool to share a camp with guys and hunt separate ways during the day- and then come back to camp in the evening and have a "Hey, look what I saw today"- show and tell. Same thing with my own family when I come back from a trip, or even a day hunt. Sure beats waiting till you go down to get them developed like the old days.

That was the one of the first things I thought was cool about the digital cameras when I started carrying one. We would all have stories before that- but as they say "a picture tells a...." and the digital camera brings some of those stories to life.

Cheers

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't believe this didn't cross my mind in all this but,come to think of it, I have few if any photos of my earliest outdoor experiences. I don't think I could prove I had ever been in the outdoors or ever hunted, fished, or camped in my younger days if it required photos to do so. I think I first started shooting some in my 30's, long before digitals.

I distinctly remember the details of the first 18" trout I ever caught yet have not one photo to "prove" I did.....

Crap, maybe it never even happened !

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I've never owned a camera. I probably have around two dozen photos of me of the past 15 years, all taken on happenstance disposable cameras purchased and owned by friends. I borrow the work camera for selling stuff online. I just don't care about photos at all, and I don't have a gear thing for cameras. I guess I shouldn't talk about anything because about 60 seconds of the past dozen years is captured on film or as data. I haven't experienced anything because it isn't documented. Kind of an interesting perspective. It's poppycock, but it is interesting.

I don't begrudge those who do value photography, except when I'm doing something like seeing a band and am forced to look through a sea of cell phones as people take video and pictures. It's really, really inconsiderate for all those around them. Other people should not have to weave their sight through all the upheld arms, and the light from the phone screen is even more distracting than the forest of arms. Seems odd to me to be more interested in saving the moment for the future than experiencing the moment to its fullest right then and there, and I'm sure those who love looking at photos find it odd that I prefer to depend on my memory and not have any physical documentation of experiences.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I used to take a lot of photos until one time I realized I missed the moment by trying to get a photo. Now I usually just carry my iPhone and snap a photo of a cool campsite or something to share with the wife, or sometimes I take photos of an area of the mountains I'm interested in exploring for later reference when I decide to go explore that area.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by snubbie
I can't believe this didn't cross my mind in all this but,come to think of it, I have few if any photos of my earliest outdoor experiences. I don't think I could prove I had ever been in the outdoors or ever hunted, fished, or camped in my younger days if it required photos to do so. I think I first started shooting some in my 30's, long before digitals.

I distinctly remember the details of the first 18" trout I ever caught yet have not one photo to "prove" I did.....

Crap, maybe it never even happened !

Very ^important^ info concerning the comfort of backpacks ^^right there^^.

The day I caught that trout, I think the creel I was carrying was a pretty neutral olive green...a natural earth tone. Thank goodness it wasn't black or camo or blaze. Horrors! I'm not sure what I was wearing, whether it was black, camo, or blaze...or whether the color contributed to catching the trout or if another color would have spooked the trout or if it was fleece or not (don't even think fleece existed way back then) or whether it was custom made or off the shelf but considering my socio-economic status in my early 20's I'd say definitely not custom made nor Gucci-like...probably more blue light special flannel shirt or army store surplus...heck, maybe I was nekkid but considering I distinctly remember the temperature as being quite cold that morning and my modesty I find that unlikely. I remember Mark and I had driven up late the night before and slept in the car, then got up at daylight and hiked down into the Linville Gorge where I caught that beautiful trout. Wow, that was 30 years ago and seems like yesterday.

And now, dadgummit, I find out it never even happened because I never took a photo to prove it.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Can we start making bets as to how many pages this thread is gonna last? grin

Last edited by Vigilguy; 06/02/12.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Vigilguy
Can we start making bets as to how many pages this thread is gonna last? grin

Probably for as long as Snubbie thinks he's got something funny or enlightening to say. whistle wink

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Before anyone gets too critical of Bushy....just remember...after a year and a half of mountain pounding training sessions with 70-90 lbs, after 2 full hunting seasons and gawd knows whatever else BC could throw at it...Kute decided to finally sell his LHR that he absolotuely swooned over upon receipt....Here's the ad in the classified section of this forum.

"I have a Kifaru Longhunter Rendevous pack, the basic unit with an extra top pocket. Current Kifaru price is:

Pack-$539.00
Shipping-$27.00
Extra top pocket-$60.00
Shipping-$7.00

Total-$643.00 USD.

This is in absolutely NEW condition, used on two trips and the fleece covers have never been outside of my home. The ONLY flaw is a factory sewing "miss" about 1/4" long in a non-weight bearing seam on one top pocket. I also removed the waiststraps from this as it is on the pack and the other I bought as a replacement and fannypack.

The stays were replaced and NOT bent by Patrick Smith himself, as the pack did not fit me when I bought it in mid-summer 2005. The waistbelt will fit 40"-46" waists and this is useful when wearing heavy winter clothing; a spare, smaller belt can be obtained from Kifaru and fitted by the purchaser, if you have a small waist.

So, this pack will cost you $475.00 USD shipped and insured to your door; that is almost $200.00 LESS than new cost and it IS like new, plus, you do not have to wait for Kifaru to deliver one to you.

Money orders in USD ONLY, NO OFFERS as the price is FIRM, I thought this was sold, but, the guy seems no longer interested.This does not have a Cargo Chair with it, BTW, but this and other accessories are available from Kifaru.

PMs with contact info", serious buyers only, please."

Yup...you read that right...Absolutely new condition, used 2x...

One we have a pic of already. grin

Last edited by ken999; 06/02/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Digging up old posts, thats getting low. Have too much time on your hands? I do not see how it proves anything either.

I asked for pictures of the 190" WA Alpine Mule Deer Bushcraft always talks about. I never had my request filled, does that mean I should question weather he really has them hanging on his wall? According to Bushcraft maybe I should.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 72 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,776
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.