Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Is it lawful for a CCW holder to carry while under the influence od drugs/alcohol? I honestly don't know,so please fill me in. If not,then this guy apparently was not in compliance with the law. If he was suffering from PTSD or whatever,was he on medication for it? If so, should he have been carrying? How do these drugs affect peoples minds?

I agree that there have been many abuses of power by police over th years, but judging from the witnesses, I'm not sure this is one of them.Seems to me the officer did what he felt was necessary,and made the best decision he could in the few seconds he had.

I think we can all agree to a high standard of behavior while armed. What is not agreed is the high standard application to all parties. Unless one uses a flame thrower or just shoots on sight, there are very few methods of greater capacity to antagonize and escalate a situation than having a full body armored death squad surround an individual pointing weapons and shouting orders as a cursory perfunctory to take their life. Hard to imagine a more aggressive fashion of response. It doesn't take much to anticipate what a typical response would be.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by rockchucker
a bunch of blithering horseschitt from the usual suspects.

u guys got anything better to do than stir the schit pot?

A badge is not a license to kill; there was a mindset by all 3 LEO's to shoot the guy...........because they could; & they did, all 3 of them. There was no intention of doing anything else.

And they liked it & they will do it again.

There was never a chance the guy was going to get out of that situation alive. Not saying the guy who got killed was either right or very smart, but this was way over the line.

You can rationalize the outcome any way you like.

MM

Put yourself in the officers shoes for just a second. You respond to a call of a man who's reported to be acting "erratically" and the man is armed. You arrive and tell the man to halt/lay down/stop etc and he does not do what you asked, but instead, draws a weapon and points it at you. Would you shoot the man or wait for him to shoot you ?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rockchucker
a bunch of blithering horseschitt from the usual suspects.

u guys got anything better to do than stir the schit pot?

A badge is not a license to kill; there was a mindset by all 3 LEO's to shoot the guy...........because they could; & they did, all 3 of them. There was no intention of doing anything else.

And they liked it & they will do it again.

There was never a chance the guy was going to get out of that situation alive. Not saying the guy who got killed was either right or very smart, but this was way over the line.

You can rationalize the outcome any way you like.

MM

How can you possibly hold this opinion after reading the account from multiple eyewitnesses? Unless you hate cops de facto, then you just ignore facts.

The guy was wasted on booze and pills (thereby negating his right to carry), and gave cops no option (since they are blamed by the public no matter what they do anyway). Good shoot.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Wow. I read this and was thinking... cops are getting to be better shots. the first two rounds made contact?
Amazing.
If this had been NY, 7 bystandards would have been hit.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DuxHateMe

How can you possibly hold this opinion after reading the account from multiple eyewitnesses? Unless you hate cops de facto, then you just ignore facts.

The guy was wasted on booze and pills (thereby negating his right to carry), and gave cops no option (since they are blamed by the public no matter what they do anyway). Good shoot.
BS. This death was due to a dangerous development in police culture in recent decades.

I used to co-facilitate a group therapy session for Vietnam War vets twenty some odd years ago at the V.A.. There was this one guy who had a terrible time of it. He was an Airborne infantryman at one of the worst blood baths in the Vietnam War, Hamburger Hill, and never got over it. He'd sleep with a revolver under his pillow, and came close to killing his wife a few times during night terrors. This guy would sometimes go out on the city streets in the middle of the night with his revolver in Fort Lauderdale and start shooting out street lights. Cops would be called on a man with a gun shooting in the streets. He never got plugged full of holes by a black clad tactical team. Always just got asked by regular uniformed cops to drop his gun, then got driven home to his wife. And this guy had a revolver in hand each time the cops arrived. Back then there weren't tactical cops looking to plug someone, all tactical-like.

Not saying that's the best way for cops to handle that situation, but it's an example that demonstrates that it's not us "civilians" who have a distorted view on the case in question about modern police overreaction. This sort of reaction is not something that's always been the typical police response to reports of a man with a gun. It's something new, and bodes very ill for our future as a nation.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't hate cops, but there's enough ambiguity to have some doubts that the guy was really pointing a gun at anyone.

When surrounded by 3 cops, all with guns drawn, why would anyone attempt to pull & use a gun?

I'm just saying that the LEO's were predisposed to kill him & that is exactly what they did...........& IMO, it likely could have been handled better than it obviously was.

Did you not read his GF's deposition...............totally conflicts with what others "think" they saw.

Naturally the LEO's are going to saw they saw a gun either in his hand or a move towards one............otherwise they'd be admitting guilt & a wrongful shoot.

I know enough LEO's & lived with 2 & I know everything coming out of their mouths is not gospel.

We weren't there & as such, none of us will ever know what really happened since we didn't see it ourselves.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't hate cops, but there's enough ambiguity to have some doubts that the guy was really pointing a gun at anyone.

When surrounded by 3 cops, all with guns drawn, why would anyone attempt to pull & use a gun? Being drunk and high perhaps altered his ability to reason ?

I'm just saying that the LEO's were predisposed to kill him & that is exactly what they did...........Wow..you really don't believe that I hope

IMO, it likely could have been handled better than it obviously was. I don't know how this was handled and neither do you. The end result was sad though.

Did you not read his GF's deposition...............totally conflicts with what others "think" they saw. Of course. Maybe she's lying....you know like the three cops you know do.

Naturally the LEO's are going to saw they saw a gun either in his hand or a move towards one............otherwise they'd be admitting guilt & a wrongful shoot. Well, in this case they were called to respond to an erratically acting man with a gun.

I know enough LEO's & lived with 2 & I know everything coming out of their mouths is not gospel. No argument from me there.

We weren't there & as such, none of us will ever know what really happened since we didn't see it ourselves. Now we're getting somewhere

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The cops aren't good witnesses because they've got skin in the game, but the GF's word is gospel. And let's just ignore the testimony of MULTIPLE unbiased witnesses.

MM News...Fair and Balanced

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the cops probably were pre-disposed to shoot drunk people who pointed a gun at them.

Maybe it's because they're a death squad. Or maybe it's because they didn't want to get shot.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've corresponded with Bill Scott (the father) several times regarding stories he's written in AW&ST. While the story is 2 years old, I know the pain he's still experiencing

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
It is rather well know that the DA is not going to investigate any officer shooting in Las Vegas. In fact, in Las Vegas, the person DOA has always turned and pulled something, sometimes it is shinny. Amazingly las vegas criminal never learn as this is repeated each and every time. The local news paper is in the tank with the PD. Anyone who things that members of an industry which purposely mislead the public on a daily basis have suddenly become the gospel is foolish.
The local radio stations had lots of commentary which didn't support the official positions taken in the press. The simple fact is LVPD shoots first, and lots of it, then arranges the details. It's a story that goes back to Ralph Lamb, one of the last wild west sheriffs.
As a note, open carry is legal in Las vegas. The hysteria it creates is something else. The cops know it is legal, so the arrest citizens lawfully carrying and eventually charge disturbance of the peace, and provide a wall of molasses of paperwork to get your perfectly legal gun back.

This is exactly what I was going to say regarding to the Las Vegas PD. They do get away with murder there, and it has been that way as long as I can remember.

Lamb once joked to my dad that he can have anyone disposed of. It was a direct threat to my dad, who was defending someone the powers in LV wanted gone.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs
I've corresponded with Bill Scott (the father) several times regarding stories he's written in AW&ST. While the story is 2 years old, I know the pain he's still experiencing

Prayers sent for the girlfriend and family.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by RISJR
The pathology report had the guy hammered and on Xanax and some other drug I can't now recall.
Morphine. IIRC correctly the report stated the drugs very well themselves been fatal as they where in such high levels.

NRA Benefactor Member
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Shootings, both police and civilian, are not generally judged by the facts after the incident. Its the facts and beliefs before the incident that matter. Yes sometimes mistakes happen, but I promise you, if your ever involved in a shooting, you will want it that way too. Just imagine you shoot someone who pulls a gun on you, it turns out to be a realistic looking toy gun. That toy gun wasn't going to hurt you, but you didn't know that, you believed you were in serious jeopardy. The facts after the shooting say you shot someone who wasn't going to harm you. If the facts and beliefs before the shooting led you to believe you where going to die(or be seriously hurt, or whatever burden in your state), then you are justified in what you did.

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can understand the first POPO shooting for whatever reason,

but why did the other two POPO have to shoot the victim, while he was lying on the ground, with two bullets in him already?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sounds like a lot of back peddling and "what ifs" going on by the anti's. I do feel for the families loss as no one deserves to lose a family member that young no matter what the circumstances.

Last edited by brinky72; 06/02/12.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only lesson here for a reasonable man is to be faster and shoot straighter than a cop if the cop goes for his weapon.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by curdog4570
The only lesson here for a reasonable man is to be faster and shoot straighter than a cop if the cop goes for his weapon.

Action is faster than reaction - - - - every time. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570

LOL, because shooting cops usually works out well in the end.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I think the cops probably were pre-disposed to shoot drunk people who pointed a gun at them.

Maybe it's because they're a death squad. Or maybe it's because they didn't want to get shot.

Bluedreaux,

The pointing of the gun at the LEO's seems to be somewhat open to question.

Are you a LEO?

MM

Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (Angus55, 160user, 257 roberts, AnthonyB, alwaysoutdoors, 35, 18 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,209
Posts18,503,894
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.