Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I don't know about detached retinas but I've been careful to use ear plugs, then ear muffs, than both, then both with better ear muffs, since I was 16 whenever I shot anything more than a .22 (except when hunting).

Now, in addition to the gradual loss of hearing as frequency increases, I have a sharp dip at 4000 Hz, caused by shooting. I'll be getting hearing aids this month.

In addition, I had a very old 12 gauge Model 12 that had a pointy toe on the stock. I could not shoot 25 shots of low-base loads without making my shoulder black and blue.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by gunner500
Funny you mention the 30-378 MD, I had one of those back in the early 1990's, it was a rechambered '06 Ruger #1, that sombuck was one of the most unruly rifles I ever fired.

With 200 gn Partitions and IIRC 120 someodd grains of H-5010 that flame throwin' bench buckin' SOB was pure hell to hang on to.

I was by far not the hardest kicking rifle I have ever fired, just the rudest. laugh

Gunner

Hey Gunner!

I knew there was something I liked about ya besides your uncommon common sense! My 30-378AI hardly kicks at all. It's in a stock McMillan A5 stock I hollowed out (except the wood in the palm-swell area), then filled it back up with Brownell's STEEL BED and 3 mercury recoil reducers. I was shooting for 15 lbs; I waaay over shot and hit 23 lbs unloaded. You can tell a fierce reaction is taking place when you light one of those roman candles off, but the felt recoil is minimal. I still have to hold it hard to get good groups, but that's no chore. I don't much care for recoil but I like the big boomers, so I either get smacked when I pull the trigger, or, add an insane amount of weight to the rifle.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Galldang, sounds like you got a 15# rock steady long range bone and meat punch. grin that cartridge is a truly amazing beast.

Got an old Bud with one that slings 240's waaaaaaaay out there. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Double post, too much recoil w/o a helmet.

Last edited by Marlin1895; 06/04/12.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Some stock configurations seem to cause less jab to the face than others. Winchester SX3 has a nearly level comb and near zero pitch, similar to Browning Gold. It is light, but does not punish. A Browning XT Trap Special with adj comb and high rib also has a nearly level comb and very low bore axis, esp from the bottom barrel. It shoots softer than a few gas guns that I have tried.

I think that face slap from recoil gets annoying very quickly. It may be a factor in detached retina problems - I do not know.

Technique may help - one of the best shotgun shooters I ever saw used a light (~6.5lb) Browning Superposed with checkered butt. She was on Mexico's ISU skeet team, and shot the 3.5 DE 1-1/8oz boomers that were allowed back then. I noticed that she barely touched the comb to her cheek, but she could do that consistently. I did see her complain about a sore shoulder once - after ~7 quick practice rounds. Her picture (Nuria Ortiz) is in Brister's book on shotgunning in a chapter on two barreled guns. The gun in the pic looked like what she shot when I saw her. Nuria made ISU skeet look easy - AA class all the time I saw her shoot.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Have read that the degree of Myopia (nearsightedness) is more important than the cause (recoil in this case) in predicting retinal detachment. A study reported in the American Journal of Epidemiology suggests that 55% of all Retinal Detachments are caused by Myopia. Being nearsighted myself, I stay away from the boomers. IMHO when it comes to the possibility of a Retinal Detachment, the less risk factors, the better.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
"I think that face slap from recoil gets annoying very quickly. It may be a factor in detached retina problems - I do not know."

If you're experiencing this, you do not have a correct position or have an ill-fitting stock or both. Is your scope possibly too high?

Your cheek should be firmly on the rifle--no slap--and even help absorb a bit of the recoil.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I'm curious what you would use a 23 pound 30-378AI for.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I get the face slap from some shotguns. The SX3 and the XT Trap do not cause it - no chunk of wood positioned to hit the face. Lots of shots while target shooting reveals the problem soon enough. About any gun with a significant difference in drop from nose to heel can cause it. Taking recoil with the hands is possible, as hip shooters do. I recall once shooting at a target, and feeling little kick as my hands took it all. If I could learn to do that w/o it becoming a type of flinch it could be good.

I do not recall being bothered so much in rifle shooting. Fewer shots involved, and the rifles had much flatter combs than many shotguns.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 57 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,311
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.