Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I recently acquired a model 70 XTR sporter Magnum in .338 Win Mag and had a question about it.
I was told it was a factory rifle with synthetic stock and BOSS muzzle break. I ordered a BOSS CR and when it came in, it would not fit the threading of the current break. Then I noticed that the break that is on it has a set screw and is different than any BOSS I've ever seen so I have to assume it was done as an aftermarket job.
Does anyone know much about XTR Sporters? I called Winchester and they told me it was made around 1992, but they didn't have any more info than that.
Does anyone know of a gunsmith that could mill a piece to screw onto the sleeve when not using the break? I don't mind shooting with a break, but just done't want to hunt with one.
It shoots really well, nice light trigger, glass bedded stock, I'm just curious about the muzzle break more than anything.
Thanks for any info!
PS: I uploaded a pic but it's not the best size......can someone give me a pic tutorial? I'm having issues with that......

Attached Images
1.jpg (67.09 KB, 723 downloads)
Last edited by freediver111; 06/06/12.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
FIrst, happy birthday and welcome to the forums.

Second, that ain't a factory BOSS. Sorry. I'd cut and recrown. Drive on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is an aftermarket wanna be BOSS that was sold by Brownells a few years ago. If it actually helps the grouping and reduces recoil you might want to consider some Sonic ear plugs for hunting that are open normally, but close when hit with muzzle blast. Or you could get a new outer sleeve made for it with all the vent holes in the front end.(Be sure to keep the weight the same)

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Thanks a lot for the responses guys! I figured it was an aftermarket, I was just curious where I might possibly find a sleeve for it. It's nice at the range, but not what I'm looking for for hunting. I may cut and re-crown, but for now I may just try and get a sleeve in case I decide to sell/trade the gun down the road. Some guys may find it a plus that it has the brake.
Anyone know where I can get a sleeve for it?....thanks for the b-day wishes by the way!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was never sold with an unvented sleeve. See a machinist.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd see what the thread is on the barrel. You might be able to find a cap from a suppressor manufacturer. Many of them sell thread protectors for when they aren't using the suppressor.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
The more I think about it, the more I think I may just cut and re-crown. This is primarily a hunting rifle, not a range gun (especially being the fact that it's a .338 win mag).
I don't know if the break adds value to the gun, but for my purposes, I think cutting and re-crowning would be better served for hunting......I don't really like the added weight nor the added length with the break, so why bother keeping it sleeved if I'll never use it!?!?!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cut and recrown. How long is the barrel?

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
If I cut the threads off, It will be 23".
There are some hash marks (for sweet spot referencing) though and If cut those off I'll be left with a 22" barrel. I think a good smith can grind/fill in the hash marks though and nobody would know........That's what I would prefer. I'm happy with 23" barrel, and 22" would be my lower limit for this gun.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Looks like a QUE muzzle break. I used one for a period. It works well if used as directed, allowing you to tune the barrel to the load instead of vice/versa. Mine was a threaded collet that slipped over the end of the barrel and was held on with a heat shrink ring. If you can't stand it and have to remove it, you should be able to cut through the ring and spread it enough to allow the collet to slip off.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

258 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 257_X_50, 32 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,862
Posts18,478,596
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.