Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm ready for a change. I'm in the Midwest and want to relocate to Northern Arizona or Colorado. I really like Northern Arizona (Flagstaff) but am disappointed at the price of housing there. I also like it on the South, SW, W, and NW sides of the Denver metropolitan area. Castle Rock has always been an area that interested me...nice homes at affordable prices, good location, etc. I like Boulder too but home prices there are out of my reach. I'm an ER nurse with 25 years experience at my vocation...getting a job won't be a problem. I just want to go somewhere nice to finish it out. I'm a cyclist and like riding long distances on my road bike, I like mountain biking too, I like to climb, hike, do as much outdoors as I can. I'm a hunter and shooter. I love the Grand Canyon and would be a lot closer to it than I am now, in addition to all those fourteener's in Colorado. I'd appreciate any feedback from you folks here regarding this. Thank you.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Go for it. I finished 35 years of Nursing in pretty much the same place I started, but sometimes I wonder ...what if

Last edited by websterparish47; 06/06/12.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Real Estate is a buyers market on the front range from what I am told. The Denver metro area is too busy for me but in your line of work, gotta go where the people are. Castle Rock is nice, there is a new hospital on the south side of Denver in Lone Tree which is close to Castle Rock.

Good luck...

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
don't overlook Colorado Springs either. several hospitals there too, including Evans on ft. Carson.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Come to the Springs, we are not the Libtarded Bastion that Denver and it's surrounding communities are!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
since you didn't mention California, I'd recommend taking Boulder off your "possibles" list because Boulder is a mini-Calif.
Way less humidity, way fewer bugs which results in never having to scrub the windshield, cool nights, and lots to do and explore,.....just do it..

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The North Metro area would work nicely for you, I think. Boulder is a nice place, especially for biking, but real estate and the traffic is horrendous. There are places slightly east of Boulder, like Louisville, Lafayette, Broomfield, Brighton, etc. where the housing prices go down and so does the traffic and congestion. I personally think the southern metro area, even down to Castle Rock is growing too fast and with too many people. The north metro area is growing as well, but not quite the rate as the south. In addition to the north metro, places like Longmont and Loveland, even Ft. Collins, might be of interest to you. Lots of hospitals around, so you should have your pick. I'm not as familiar with all the biking down south, but the north area from Westminster to Boulder, to Fort Collins is a hot bed of biking activity, road as well as mountain.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Steamboat Springs is a nice little town, and the recreational opportunities are endless in that area.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Colorado is a cyclists paradise you will definitely enjoy it here.

There are folks that use their mountain bikes for elk hunting.

Come and do one of the tours...Ride the Rockies, Bicycle Tour of Colorado or one of the others.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Investigate the state, local and property taxes thoroughly before the plunge.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There are folks that use their mountain bikes for elk hunting.

I'm one of them. I've bowhunted elk in unit 4,5,441(NW of Steamboat)at least a dozen times and the mountain bike is essential gear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boulder is rife with Communists. Forget it.
Fort Collins is more tolerable, but it's a college town like Boulder.

Steamboat Springs has definitely gone Commie, too. It was okay when I first moved there, but after 8 years of Californication and Newyorkistan refugees, it was destroyed. Culturally, anyway. You DON'T want to commute to work in Steamboat from the outliers, the roads are two lane and when the weather stinks, the drivers are worse.

Craig 40 miles west might be good for you if you hunt and fish, dunno about whether there's an ER and need for a nurse there, tho. But a sportsman's paradise, for sure.

I lived in Pueblo for three years or so, if I had to live on the Front Range again, that's where I'd go. Pueblo is a real town, diverse ethnically, with real industry, real agriculture, and enough of a population base. And access to outdoor fun is excellent. I had no trouble entertaining myself there.

Denver and the Springs are completely gridlocked for the Friday exodus and Sunday return. But there's gobs of work in the Springs with all the military retirees.

One final caveat...Colorado is high up. You need good lungs.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might look at Durango, as well.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Come to the Springs, we are not the Libtarded Bastion that Denver and it's surrounding communities are!

That would mean he has to live near you!

Oh Antlers, if you decide to go to the Springs, send me your address before you go. I've got a box that I'd like you to deliver to Les. Just put a baby mouse in the box every couple of weeks prior to getting to Les.

Then run like hell before he opens it!

Last edited by mikeymjr23; 06/06/12.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Might check out Grand Junction. Just a suggestion.
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Since you mentioned Castle Rock and Boulder, I assumed you wanted to remain on the Front Range. However, if you're open to other places besides a "metro" area, there are a ton of smaller towns that are infinitely more to my liking than the Front Range cities. I suppose it depends on what you want when you're home. Do you (or your wife) need malls, theatres, museums, other cultural happenings or will a small town with limited activities other than the mountains or outdoors be enough. If so, lots of towns on the west slope might suit your needs, like Montrose, Paonia, GJ, Clifton, Rifle, Meeker, Palisade, etc. Durango and Steamboat Springs are both nice towns but as mentioned, are a little heavy on the liberal side of things. As much as living in the big city sucks, I've found that Broomfield, where I live, offers as close to a small town feel as you'll find on the Front Range. Lots of different hospitals close by, close enough to Denver to enjoy all the cultural things you'd expect to find in a big city, and yet close enough to the mountains to allow for quick getaways. Traffic is something you'll have to account for and accept, though. Too many dadburned people!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you like Mexico or San Francisco you'll just love it.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
just never had the nuts to pull up stakes and move. Sometimes I wish I had.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just keep heading north until you get to Wyoming. But, that's just me.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Just keep heading north until you get to Wyoming. But, that's just me.

shhhhh! it is already crowded as heck here! whistle

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (16penny, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.