Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#6571978 06/06/12
Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Planning a backpack trip with the family this year that has the potential to be in a heavy mosquito area.

What do you guys like for bug dope? Is there anything that doesn't make you feel sticky when you crawl into the sleeping bag at night? I've used the Ben's with heavy Deet, but wonder if there is something else that might work just as well without melting your watchband.

Headnets? What brand or style is best? Wore a headnet for about 30 minutes while hunting caribou in AK a few years back. Fortunately it was late enough after the bugs were on the decline as the headnet was more than a little annoying, but it was a cheapy.

Thanks for any suggestions

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Therma-cell. Still the best defense I've found, but can be less effective in windy conditions. Otherwise, something with lots of Deet as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^ What he saide, ^Thermacell^.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Did a little research and ordered some Badger bug balm, will let you know how it works.

I refuse to use DEET and was initially intrigued by the Thermacell but you cannot use it around food which makes it a no go.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thermacell!!! I keep one on me and one in camp blazing when the skeeters are bad. I hear they do not work at high elevation though, like 6,000+ ft? I have never had a problem though.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Repel Eucalyptus oil spray. Smells nice. Backpacker magazine did a test some years back based on some guy sticking his arm in a tank of mosquitos, and the eucalyptus came in second to deet.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took a thermacell into our camp south of Yellowstone, little over 8,000 feet. First it was really hard to light and then when it did light, it had no affect on the mosquitos.

Then I was getting dropped off on the shore of Yellowstone lake by the boat taxi and he had one. While the boat was beached the pilot took a thermacell out, light it no problem and the cab of the boat was quickly devoid of mosquitos.

I guess I've seen mixed results.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't leave the house during spring turkey season without my thermacell...as important as the gun, shells, and license/permit IMO.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
We have found the Badger Bug Balm to be very effective and smell a lot better than deet.
Best Wishes

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
For those who avoid DEET this has been a good substitute:

Herbal Armor

http://www.allterrainco.com/ecommerce/natural-insect-repellents.html

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Never used Thermacells before, but was looking for something around camp this summer and hopped on the Thermacell site. I noted that their website comes right out and says that their product does not work well at altitude due to light and flame issues with the propane. They were selling an open flame lantern (now discontinued) however at a 2 for 1 discount that they said would work at altitude. I bought four and will try them out next week at camp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For sleeping, take a mosquito net. I am writing from northern Saskatchewan, where I have slept under a mosquito net for the past four nights. Last summer my adult son, grandson and I easily fit all three of us under it on a backpack hike.

With the net there is no need for night time dope that feels bad on skin and eats holes in nylon, and no mosquitoes buzzing near ears even if they don't bite.

I like the REI Mombasa double in the link below. I rig it sideways over the head end of sleeping bags when it needs to protect several people. I hardly ever rig it in full, just partially, so our heads and shoulders are inside a mosquito-free space. Legs are inside sleeping bag. Low cost, light weight, compact and fabulous for sleeping well.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=mosquito+bed+nets

Last edited by Okanagan; 06/09/12.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you use a tent without a screened door, in warm weather you can just carry a piece of netting and some clothes pins to put over the door at night.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 257_X_50, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 44 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,204
Posts18,503,801
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.