Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Bushcraft
That's a nice svelte looking pack. What is the ventilation like on your back? Also, it seems like there is uncomfortably little room behind your head. Is there "cup" or indentation of some sort that allows for more clearance than is otherwise shown in that side profile picture?

Allen

Vigilguy can answer as well, but I know with my McHale, the two stays that make the bayonet system (which extends the pack up behind your head) are intentionally bendable so you can angle it closer or further from your head as you desire.

GB1

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Ventilation is...fair... Holes in the padding, but nothing like an external frame, but I can live with it.

I had cranked down on the straps for the bypass harness, so I remember it was pulled unusually close to my "noggin". Was not necessary to do so for comfort. As Jedi5150 stated, I can bend the upper part of the stays back, but have never needed too.

Dan's bypass harness is truly the "cat's meow". Once I tried it, I will NEVER EVER go back to load lifters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The closer the weight of your pack is to your back including above you is going to make the pack ride better. That is way I do not like some packs that angle away once the hit the top of your shoulders. Like it has been said already though you can always bend them to you liking. The bypass harness is so awesome, its so simple yet does so much. Just the bypass harness and bayonets is enough reason to buy a McHale.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Big_W
The closer the weight of your pack is to your back including above you is going to make the pack ride better.

Right, that's elemental. I just wondered about the closeness to the head thing as that would drive me - and I imagine anyone that wasn't afflicted with severe Kyphosis, absolutely nuts, especially when ascending steep terrain.

It sounds like that's easily remedied though by tweaking the bayonets.

Other than some minor ventilation issues, it looks like a very cool, very no-nonsense pack.

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Considering the 70lb load in the pack, the lack of sag in the WB is impressive.

IC B2

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
[Linked Image]

Wind River Range (Washakie Pass, 11,000+ ft.), coming back from an awesome fly fishing trip with the pack goats!

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Vigilguy

EVERYTHING in that pic is damn cool

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is my Mchale pack��its the new big thing called "Pile o' Pack" under 2lbs. w/ a wood frame that turns into a table�... shoulder straps that are thin, light and stronger than Mn52Ti1. Cant wait to load'em up!

/Users/joshguidry/Desktop/Mchale.jpg

+1 UKDave�..That is one bad arse picture you have Vigil

Attached Images
Mchale.jpg (5.02 KB, 1209 downloads)
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Vigilguy
[Linked Image]

Wind River Range (Washakie Pass, 11,000+ ft.), coming back from an awesome fly fishing trip with the pack goats!

Holy crap! I have pack goat envy! smile Where do I get me one of them? I wouldn't even need a McHale if I had a goat to carry all my gear. Hellloooo.....11 pound Hilleberg tent for backpacking...Come to daddy. Hahahaha

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Forget tents, I would have them pulling my pop up!!

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

IC B3

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
They take my table, chairs, Ti Goat stove, cook shelter, tent and sleeping bag. They are wonderful pack animals.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Man they are to cool.

coming from the UK Ive never seen anything like that before

HRH Prince Phillip

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
They take my table, chairs, Ti Goat stove, cook shelter, tent and sleeping bag. They are wonderful pack animals.

I've spent that past two days trying to convince my wife that backpacking is just not the same without pack goats (not that I'd know, considering I just learned about pack goats 2 days ago). smile She is putting her foot down firmly that as long as we are still living in an apartment, no pack goats.

My Belgian Malinois is now hating this thread. I think she has figured out that she might have to make due as a temporary pack goat on our next trip. Hahaha. That's right Vixen, next trip you're going to be wearing that McHale, not me:
[Linked Image]

And one more gratuitous McHale photo, since this is after all the McHale picture thread:
[Linked Image]

PS-These pictures look much better larger. I understand photos can't be massive for forums, but a little bigger would be a lot better. wink

Last edited by Jedi5150; 06/05/12.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
[Linked Image]

This is actually a McHale Pack photo, if you look close enough!

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]

This is actually a McHale Pack photo, if you look close enough!

Haha, you just started the "Where's Waldo" McHale photos. The gauntlet has been thrown.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
[Linked Image]

Photo of the smaller Merke pack by McHale.

S
S
Trying to decide between the McHale CMII or the SCMII. Which are you guys using for multiday backpack hunting?

This year I'll be using the pack I decide on for a 10 day sheep hunt in the Alaska Range(estimated load w/ animal 80-100lbs). This is going to be my first sheep hunt and I'm pretty sure I'll be hooked but I am not sure how many of these type hunts I will do in the future.

For sure I will do my typical 1-4 day alpine deer hunting trips (typical load w/ animal ~70lbs) here in SE Alaska. And I will also be using the pack for family backpacking type trips where I carry most of the load.

Just trying to buy the pack that I can use for all of my intended uses and not be too terribly under/oversized.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]

Photo of the smaller Merke pack by McHale.

You're killing me with the pack goat pictures. Those things are too cool. At this point I think you're just doing it to be mean to those of us who are goatless. smile

Last edited by Jedi5150; 06/06/12.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jedi, What part of central CA are you from?

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by MuleyFan
Jedi, What part of central CA are you from?

The Monterey Bay area.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1234, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,086
Posts18,482,842
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.