Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Mountain lions here on the farm......Okie game and fish agents will die lying tellin' ya they aint here laugh

Gunner

Yeah, then what if ya shoot one? Bet they change their tune pretty quick!

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Now you are allowed to kill one ONLY if they are a threat to livestock or your person. I take that to mean if they are on your property and aren't carrying a lunchbox...OK to shoot.

Afterwards you are required to notify a game warden.

I'm sure that somewhere in Oklahoma there is someone dumb enough to do exactly that.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
This past winter we had snow owls in central Iowa. I heard they went all the way down to Northern MO. One year I heard some noise in the leaf litter under my tree stand. I had to use my binos to look straight down at the ground, thinking I would see a field mouse. Nope, common toad crawling making his way through the woods - first weekend in December. Snowed that afternoon. The land owner where I used to hunt in northern MO saw a mountain lion. This was in the late 90's. At the time the DNR said there were none in MO. Heard that a few got run over in Kansas City a few years ago. Guess they were wrong. :P

----------
Hunting is my religion
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We saw a dang good whitetail buck in Steamboat Springs, CO in October of 2002. Everyone we told said "No, you mean a mule deer." Been hunting them all my life and know exactly what it was. He was right close to town. The guys in the truck behind us saw him as well and called on the cell to talk about it. Noone believed us, but I really didn't care, I knew what it was.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
While we were trout fishing in 2004, my best friend Sharpshooter came across a cow moose just north of Pagosa Springs CO at Williams Creek Reservoir. Though that was way too far south for Moose, but there ain't much mistaking them for anything else...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Mattm907
Thats an awesome story!

In 2005 I was walking down the dock to a boat in Kodiak Harbor about 3 sheets to the wind. When I was attacked by a Female river otter with 3 pups. It was 11pm and I always wondered what the hell they were doing there. The nearest river to the harbor is at least 3 miles. This was in November. It cost me $460 bucks, 13 stitches, and a rabbies shot in the stomach.

Those 4 otters are still there if you are talking about the ones at Near Island Harbor. They come out of the culvert up by the parking lot and like to crap all over the docks. I watched one playing with a dog on the dock last summer for about 15 minutes. The little Jack russel was barking at it in the water. The otter would dive under the dock and pop up behind the dog and nip it's ass. Soon as the dog went after it it was back in the water. They must have gotten more playful lately!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saw a buffalo while elk hunting just outside of Meeker, Colorado. Word was it had escaped off a nearby ranch.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DeerHunterIA
... The land owner where I used to hunt in northern MO saw a mountain lion. This was in the late 90's. At the time the DNR said there were none in MO. Heard that a few got run over in Kansas City a few years ago. Guess they were wrong. :P

Since the mid 90's the Missouri Department of Conservation has reliably documented something like 30 (from memory) confirmed mountain lions in the state. It is a fact - mountain lions are here and for some reason seem to be increasing in numbers. They are supposed to be protected though several people have shot lions "in self defense" (of course) and no charges have been filed in one of those cases to date. A conservation agent recorded one on a deer kill about one mile as the crow flies from my deer hunting stand a few years back and just last year a fellow trapping wild/feral hogs trapped a 135 pound lion. The MDC released it about five miles from my hunting area. Nice... I already have black bear, wild/feral hogs and the usual coyotes, bobcats, and fox to play hell with the deer and turkey populations. I surely want another large predator here. frown

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Rufous hummingbird one summer. He was about 500 miles too far east...

[Linked Image]

And a Golden pheasant walking down the middle of a dirt road in Central OK one summer. He'd gotten out from somewhere I'm sure...

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I guess this wasn't completely 'he didn't belong there' but several years ago, I saw to this day the biggest Coues buck I have ever seen. No big deal right? Well, the catch is he was about 20 feet off of the road, bedded next to a tree. When we came upon him in the Powerstroke diesel he jumped up, got stuck in a fence and tossed and turned for a few moments before he broke free.

He was an awesome buck with mass and trash. Easily a solid 125" buck.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Moose on a Boston street.

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Cliff Claven could help as a mail man. Catch Norm.grin.

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Cheers. I ment no mean by that. Kawi.

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Looking fore lost stock I saw a white spot in some willows, the dang thing was a owel. The snow kind in mid montana.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I got chased by a muskrat once. Does that count?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Lots of snow owls for a few weeks last Winter!

Found this guy a few years ago.
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hunting mule deer at home on the wide open Saskatchewan prairie 5 years ago, my son pushed these three past me. What a surprise!
[Linked Image]
Now they have expanded in population so much I shot my first moose near home last year. The local limited entry draw allows 100 tags in our zone.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by rattler
i can explain the moose in NoDak.......just over the border in Canada is pretty good moose habitat with a booming population and as the numbers have grown they have headed south......getting more and more common to see them round here

I too saw a cow moose in North Dakota several years ago while duck hunting near Devil's Lake. Walking through a cattail slough when she jumped up and took off. Surprised me but I guess it's not that uncommon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Went to feed the chickens in the coop a few days ago and there was a racoon where the chickens used to be. He is taking a long long nap, and I left a drink for his brothers, cousins, girlfriend or whoever else comes looking for him in there.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I saw a Chinese Pheasant in Viet Nam once. At first I wondered what in the heck he was doing so far from the States. blush

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,820
Posts18,496,507
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.