Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Need some of your collective wisdom please.

I've been on the lookout for .243 rifle mostly for the range here in Hawaii. (There is the possibility of shooting a pig or a deer on a rare occasion but I'd say this is 95% a range firearm. Other than a .22 I've never owned a rifle. I've mostly shot handguns).

I have the option to acquire a stainless 700 SPS that appears to be in good shape for about $400. Seems very fair. I like the idea of stainless for this climate.

Option B is a Rem 660. I haven't seen it yet, it belongs to a friend's brother who is selling all his rifles in a few weeks. I could probably purchase it inexpensively, maybe in the $300-400 range or less.

For my purposes, plinking on a budget, what makes the most sense? (Would be reloading for either gun).

I realize you can get all the parts in the world for the 700 to build a custom rifle but that's probably not my goal. I'll most likely just put on a scope on whatever gun I get and perhaps have a smith accurize it a bit. I wouldn't be doing any of the work.

The idea of a cool old rifle with a wooden stock is appealing too. But is the 660 (assuming bore's in good shape, etc) practical? What about maintaining or working on an older rifle? (Availability of parts, etc).

Any advice is appreciated.

mahalo

Rob

Last edited by Kaumheimer; 06/07/12.

NRA Member

Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
Carl Jung
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO you'd be better served with the 700. Pretty debugged rifle.

`Bring Enough Gun`
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
you're in a great position--you can't go wrong with either one!

that salty air where you are has got to be hard on chrome moly rigs--but in almost every case, i always like stainless the best.

i've used those 660's alot--my first experience with them was in 1973 (i believe they were made from '68 - '71 (or '72). i always liked the 20 inch length barrels on them, and of course liked them better than the earlier 600's, and better than the later 600 mohawks.

a friend of mine had one in 6mm, and was very handy with it in the field--even out to 400.

nostagic and traditional? go the 660...

"practical" ? go the 700 stainless...

(but you could also "man-up" and "make up" for lost time--by getting them both... )

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
SPS 700 stainless are a dime a dozen.. A 660 is a classic that most would be proud to own bit that's just me.
In Hi you'd probably be better suited with a fast twist 223. Cheap ammo at the range and a 62gr TSX for game.. It's as economical as they come but yet plenty of ass for anything on the Islands.
. Spent three weeks on the islands and I will say I'm envious.. That is a beautiful place to be..

WarDamnEagle
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Lot's to chew on. Mahalo...keep 'em coming!

NRA Member

Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
Carl Jung
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
660 has cool factor, and will do everything you want. 700 could be customised down the road easier. If you want a custom long range gun, a 700 will be available for around that price, maybe a little more, later. You will probably never see that 660 for that price again in your lifetime.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

"Turdlike".... in record time

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you could find a way to buy both......

I always like to have a spare/backup rifle.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 660 350 mag I really like. The 600/660 actions are as compact as it gets. I put a two position three function safety made by New Ultralight Arms on my 660 and an aluminum trigger guard sold here by a member.

If the SPS has 4 holes drilled to mount scope bases you have more options than the 660 which has 3 holes (2 on the front receiver ring and 1 in the rear) which almost requires a one piece base. The 660 has to be unloaded from the ejection port. If the 700 has a hinged floor plate it's easier and a bit safer to unload IMO.

You can't go wrong with either rifle. The 660 has the cool factor and the 700 has the utility factor.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
"You can't go wrong with either rifle. The 660 has the cool factor and the 700 has the utility factor."

Dave pretty well summed it up. For me - I would jump on the 660 in a heartbeat if I could only have one of the rifles. The best thing to do would be to buy the SPS for your "beater" and keep the 660 just because they are so neat. I bought a 660 new in 1971 and one of my regrets in life is selling it - there is just something appealing about them.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For a casual shooter living in a humid climate, such as yourself, going stainless seems like the most logical option. We normally have humid summers here in NE, so my blued CM firearms generally stay at home in the climate controlled, cooled and dehumidified indoor environment from mid-May thru early October.

Since you are a casual shooter, you might consider buying a 223 instead of the 243, as 223 ammo is much less expensive and will allow you to punch more paper for the same ammo cost.

Jeff

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd take the 660 hands down.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Clearly another case of "different folks, different strokes", just like our differing opinions about hunting in VT.

Since I already have several 600s and 660s, they aren't as special to me as they might be to somebody who doesn't own 1.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Clearly another case of "different folks, different strokes", just like our differing opinions about hunting in VT.

Since I already have several 600s and 660s, they aren't as special to me as they might be to somebody who doesn't own 1.

Jeff

I explained why I like VT so much in that other thread but as for the 600/660 they are the handiest bolt rifles I've come across. I prefer them in .350 RM but they do have a lot of kick.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I come across a 600/660 in 350 Rem Mag at a fair price, I tend to buy them and turn them to guys from AK. Since there isn't anything dangerous in the fields of NE, other than drumk drivers, there isn't any demand for a hard kicking 350 Rem Mag when a light kicking 22-250 will get 'er done.

Jeff

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've owned several 700's and I have a full custom built on a 660.
I'd go with the stainless 700 in your shoes, no question. But if I were buying one, I'd do the 660. But that's because I can do all sorts of great things with such a rifle as the basis for a custom rifle. E

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
This is really illuminating and I really appreciate all the input.

Note that I reload handguns so I'll have my buddy teach me how to reload for rifles.

The seller is my friend's brother, a Vietnam vet who still suffers terribly from PTSD and doesn't want to deal with the firearms anymore. I think most of the guns belonged to his dad.

Once I get a chance to look at what this guy has to sell, I can report back. He has a bunch of 60s era hunting rifles. Hunting is popular on many of the Hawaiian Islands. Pigs are a big pest and the Axis Deer was introduced to several Islands (Molokai, Lanai, Maui and of late, the Big Island). Since there's no natural predators they are eating everything in sight, including endangered plants, crops, gardens,etc. Battle royal between hunting advocates and the state which wants to liquidate all of the deer on the Big Island (which people are illegally introducing.) (That's a whole other thread!)

I could suggest the seller offer rifles to campfire readers but I don't know if he wants to deal with all the hassle of shipping, etc.

Last edited by Kaumheimer; 06/08/12.

NRA Member

Carl Jung
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a 660 in .308 that has been customized a bit. Every der shot with that rifle has been a one shot kill. Luck? maybe but the rifles mde it easy. it's on it's third and I hope final stock, an early H&S Precision fiberthane stock from their plant when it was in Prescott Arizona.I also have a few Remington M700s and they work good too. None of them are in .243 though.
Personally, I think the .243 is a bit light on pigs. In your climate, I would go with the M700 but for cool nd a small amount of colelctor value, theat 660 wouldn't be a bad deal. Aroound my neck of the wood they're going from $500 up depending on cartridge chambered. The 6.5 Rem. mag.s and 35o Rem. mag are pushing very close to four figures around here.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Paul...appreciate the advice. I'm starting to think the 660 is the way to go.

NRA Member

Carl Jung
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you buy a 660 prepare to pony up another $75+/- for an alloy bottom metal unit from CVMW. The plastic/nylon unit that Remington put on all of the 600s, 660s, and 600 Mohawks is crap and most, if all, are warped by now.

Contact Willie Mannng at Coquille Valley Machine Works
541-396-6246

Jeff

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Mahalo Willie, will do if I get the 660.

NRA Member

Carl Jung
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,509
Posts18,509,332
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.