Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Anyone know anything about these I know the grover #5, had to do with Elmer Keith and Doc. Grover, but not sure about the texas longhorn part, I have a change to get one in trade, with some cash, for a rifle Im selling, always thought they looked cool, but never handled one!
Thanks John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
GB1

C
C
snap it up.....you will regret it otherwise.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
TLAs are fine guns.

Buy it, and shoot the heck out of it.

Either that or let me know where to buy it and I will buy it and shoot the heck out of it.

I know guys think that they should be collected now, but I think they were meant to be hunted.

Pack 'em, hunt 'em, make great memories with good friends with them on your gunbelt! smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
How much are they going for now? A few months ago the owner of the gun shop my friend works in took one in. 99% condition. The owner was going to keep it but decided instead to put it out for sale... $2400 IIRC...didn't last a week.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Bob,

I have no idea what the market value is on them as I am a poor flatfoot. smile I simply know if I had one, I would just hunt with it as it was intended.

Kinda like I do with my old 7.5" Flattop .44. Which reminds me, I need to go shoot some Jacks with that thing soon. wink

IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..no Mac...FlatFoots walked a beat...you ride in a car...

More Jacks...go ahead rub it in.... cry

Bob

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I sold this #5 last year. It's a dual cylinder factory .45 Colt/.45 Mag.

The Mag cylinder shot slightly better than the Colt, so that's the one in the gun.

I wasn't using it that much and a TLA fan offered enough for me to let it go. He was elated when I agreed to sell it.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RJM
..no Mac...FlatFoots walked a beat...you ride in a car...

More Jacks...go ahead rub it in.... cry

Bob

When you come visit, there will be plenty for both of us to cuss at as they go scurrying by. smile

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I looked around the web and was able to find one other #5 that sold for $2400.00....

Also read a few of the stories of the man and the company...an interesting tale...

Bob

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks guys, I, always wanted one, but needed to know if I had to sell it that I could, selling some guns to help with some health problems this one has some wear, its a 45 colt , comes with a holster and the paper work, guess Ill do the trade then , if/ when I get it Ill post some pics!

John

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RJM
I looked around the web and was able to find one other #5 that sold for $2400.00....

Also read a few of the stories of the man and the company...an interesting tale...

Bob

I bought this one for $2K, sold it for $3K and had fun playing with it in the meantime. I really didn't want to sell it, but the $3K funded some other projects that I was more interested in at the time. I had posted it on the Fire with no thought of selling it and was approached by the interested party who seemed very happy to get it.

DF

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
This guy is a collector. If you buy it, he is trying to research all the TLA's made. He is also writing a book on Grover and the TLA's. He is trying to record the existance of all the TLA's made. worth talking to him

http://www.tlabook.com/

I would love to own one, but they are a little out of my price range.

Last edited by Robster; 06/09/12.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Robster
This guy is a collector. If you buy it, he is trying to research all the TLA's made. He is also writing a book on Grover and the TLA's. He is trying to record the existance of all the TLA's made. worth talking to him

http://www.tlabook.com/

I would love to own one, but they are a little out of my price range.

Thanks for the link. I just sent him an email, referencing this site and thread.

DF

C
C
Originally Posted by saddlering
Thanks guys, I, always wanted one, but needed to know if I had to sell it that I could, selling some guns to help with some health problems this one has some wear, its a 45 colt , comes with a holster and the paper work, guess Ill do the trade then , if/ when I get it Ill post some pics!

John

John,

If you get it, I would very much appreciate your sharing data on the gun with me. I'm the guy writing the book. As has been said, I'm trying to gather data on as many TLAs as possible, as Grover's production records were never found after his death. My email is:

stevetlabook.com

Thank you!

Steve

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Will do, sposed to ship the gun monday to my ffl, its got the paper work with it, and looks like a booklet on the Texas longhorn guns, it also comes with a Elpaso, holster and belt! that will be shiped to my house. thanks for the link, and will be happy to contact you! John

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by cubrock

John

John,

If you get it, I would very much appreciate your sharing data on the gun with me. I'm the guy writing the book. As has been said, I'm trying to gather data on as many TLAs as possible, as Grover's production records were never found after his death. My email is:

stevetlabook.com

Thank you!

Steve

Steve,

Keep us posted on your progress with the research and book.

That's got to be a lot of work and, no doubt, a labor of love.

Thank you for your interest in a wonderful gun and an amazing man.

DF

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Getting excited to see this one! been awhile since I owned a 45 colt, and I think my last one was S&W 25

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
....been awhile since I owned a 45 colt,

What's up with that?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Not sure, been on the fence for a 45 colt, or a 44 spe. guess this made up my mind for me!, I may have some brass stashed, but will need dies ect. used to have colts , and that S&W 25, sold the last 44mag a week ago, just never used them anymore, and dont think at this point ill own another 44mag. so, sell the 44 stuff and get ready for the 45 colt, be good therpy for me, going thru some health issues, and anything to get my mind off it helps!

C
C
Saddlering,

If you are planning on shooting this gun more than a bit, do yourself a big favor and have a GOOD gunsmith check the hardness of the internal parts. TLAs are notorious for having soft lockwork components. Much use of such a gun (even just cycling the action) will cause it to grind itself out of time and, sometimes, lock up. I've used David Clements and Alan Harton to correct mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (1minute, 17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 62 invisible), 3,305 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,963
Posts18,499,212
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.