Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6580177 06/09/12
V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
What holster rig do y'all use for 6 inch revolvers. I have a uncle mikes shoulder but.....I am leaning towards a cross draw or bandoleer type. I think Hunter makes a bandoleer, it might be an option, I am leaning towards leather, however those nylon type that are made in Alaska look interesting.

My needs are field use not for concealment.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For hunting?
I mean, cross-draw holsters lead to bad habits. You're sweeping it across instead of punching out, and especially if you carry, that's a really bad thing to transfer over. It'll be slower and less intuitive.
Some people think shoulder holsters are comfortable, but personally, strong side hip is my gig.

Try a few out at any store that'll let you, or borrow from friends if you can. Find what you like and go with it. Stay away from nylon; kydex or reinforced leather is best.

The only holsters I'll ever buy:
http://www.kydexbyparlusk.com/products.php

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Well, frankly, I don't put up with 6 inch or longer handguns any more. But if I did, it would be a good shoulder holster for cold weather or a quality belt holster for field use. E

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
T Lee tuned me into El Paso Saddlery, they have some very nice revolver holsters, belts and complets rigs.

Trouble with me is, the old Bud I bought my Colt from has now offered to make me a custom holster for it, but he didnt say when cry

Gunner

Last edited by gunner500; 06/09/12.

Trump Won!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I use a Simply Rugged Pancake worn crossdraw for most of my field work. It does not get in the way when seated or standing. It does not require a bunch of snaps or straps to hold the revolver. I can put it in a Chesty Puller rig if I want to wear it on my chest.

Bad habits? They do not promote bad habits any more than most other holster types. You just have to be careful with them as you do with any other type of holster.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Notropis; 06/09/12.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
just took delivery today, on a simply rugged silver dollar pancake for my original model 43 S&W J frame... excellent workmanship, and quick turn around time as i only ordered it 2 1/2 weeks ago...

this outfit will surely see more business from me...

if i was carrying a 6" barreled revolver it'd surely have to be in a cross-draw rig...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There have been a couple of threads lately about field holsters. I am old fashioned, maybe, but I think it's hard to beat a flap holster for toting a field gun. Triple-K Manufacturing makes the reddish (walnut oil finish) holsters in the photo.

I find that crossdraw works best for me with long barreled revolvers.

[Linked Image]

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Cross draw is definitely bad for defensive work, is what I mean. It promotes bad habits in that it's an unnatural draw stroke that commonly will result in the shooter moving the muzzle too far to the strong side and having to readjust. It's also dangerous because you're sweeping everything on one side of you. It's superior to carry strong side and punch out with your weapon already inline. Cross draw is only superior in vehicles, and to address this, I recommend your backup carry piece be worn cross draw.

JOG

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn nice irons and leather there WHB, I to prefer left side crossdraw, long guns and bows carry better for me with an unobstructed right hip.

Gunner

Trump Won!
M
M
I now only use Mernickle Holsters for my semi-auto/single action/double action handguns...

www.mernickleholsters.com

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Notropis
I use a Simply Rugged Pancake worn crossdraw for most of my field work. It does not get in the way when seated or standing. It does not require a bunch of snaps or straps to hold the revolver. I can put it in a Chesty Puller rig if I want to wear it on my chest.

Bad habits? They do not promote bad habits any more than most other holster types. You just have to be careful with them as you do with any other type of holster.

[Linked Image]

simply rugged is located in my home town, friends of mine who know the guy say he really a a good guy, have to get some stuff made my him one of these days.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

[Linked Image]

simply rugged is located in my home town, friends of mine who know the guy say he really a a good guy, have to get some stuff made my him one of these days.

I have a good bit more of his stuff and even have more on order at this time. I have never been disappointed with any of the gear I have gotten from him. I particularly like the pancake holsters because they can be worn cross draw, strong side, or with a Chesty Puller rig.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a simply rugged sourdough which I like quite a bit for my 4 5/8" bisley.

Here is a local guy that makes some nice stuff. His wyoming combination holster is nice and works well with a backpack.
Vonn Ringler leather
Wyoming Combo Holster

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner
It's also dangerous because you're sweeping everything on one side of you.
JOG

Only if you do it wrong. It is quite easy to sweep the ground just as you would with a strong side holster.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It's also dangerous because you're sweeping everything on one side of you.
JOG

Only if you do it wrong. It is quite easy to sweep the ground just as you would with a strong side holster.

Truth, but it's still awkward and slow to draw, bring it back, and then punch out. I understand that the style is necessary with some larger guns and such, but I'd avoid them to prevent bad cross-training.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
[quote=Notropis][quote=JustOneGunner]
Truth, but it's still awkward and slow to draw, bring it back, and then punch out.

Not if you do it right. I especially like the fact that the revolver is in a very convenient place to grab and not back on a hip. My revolver comes out quickly, conveniently, and safely from my cross draw. I wear it daily in the field and have never had any of the problems you mention. The OP does not want a concealed carry holster but rather a field holster for a 6" revolver.

I do wear a 1911 in a IWB holster, but the OP does not want a holster for a 1911.

Any type of holster has advantages and disadvantages. No type of holster is universally the best for all applications. A Kydex by Parlusk may be excellent for some applications with certain handguns but may not be appropriate in other situations. I also did not see where he offers holsters for revolvers. Perhaps I missed it.

I have and use a wide variety of holsters (leather, nylon, plastic, cross draw, strong side, IWB, paddle, shoulder, pocket, and others) and feel that Viking's needs could be well met by a variety of holsters and that a good cross draw should not be eliminated from consideration because of worries about safety, convenience, bad habits, or speed.

V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I am not worried about drawing fast, those days are over(hung up the badge). Just something that is comfy with a belly. Lol

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have a belly too.
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
He will make a custom holster for any gun.

I wouldn't say any holster is perfect, but strong side is superior in the most situations by far. If comfort is the only concern, we have very different firearm philosophies, and that being the case, I'll leave the thread be.

Apologies

JOG

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
He will make a custom holster for any gun.

I wouldn't say any holster is perfect, but strong side is superior in the most situations by far. If comfort is the only concern, we have very different firearm philosophies, and that being the case, I'll leave the thread be.

Apologies

JOG

Comfort is by no means the only concern. I don't recall indicating that it is. I wear strong side quite often, generally with an autoloader, but usually prefer cross draw with a large revolver in the field because of the convenience, safety, speed, and comfort when hunting, farming, or just messing around. I disagree with your statements about problems with speed, safety, and accuracy associated with cross draw holsters. My experience has been contrary to what you have said.

I don't think philosophy has much to do with it. I think experience with the question the OP asked does.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 1,746 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,900
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.