Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oops, sorry.. I looked @ the wrong recipe blush Here's the recipe I use

Mozzarella Cheese

1. Mozzarella Cheese is traditionally made from fresh, raw milk. Cool 2 gallons of raw milk to 40-50 degrees F.

2. Add 2 � very level teaspoons of citric acid powder dissolved in � cup of cool tap water. Mix it into cool milk for 2 minutes. (Use only citric acid powder!)

3. Heat the milk to 88 degrees F.

4. Add � teaspoon of liquid rennet or � rennet tablet, diluted in � cup of cool tap water. Stir rennet into milk for 15-20 seconds. Then allow the milk to remain still for 15 minutes while it coagulates. Try to keep the temperature in the room warm so that the pot does not cool down too much. Check the firmness by inserting a finger into the mass. If it comes out clean, it�s ready. If it comes out sticking to the finger, let it set a few more minutes.

5. Instead of cutting curd evenly with knives, mozzarella works best if you use both of your hands to gently break up the mass into small, even pieces about the size of split peas. Be sure to reach all the way to the bottom.

6. After breaking, let curds remain undisturbed for 5 minutes, then apply low heat and stir gently with a wooden spoon so as to keep curds separated. The curd will shrink somewhat as the whey is expelled from them in this step. Slowly heat curds to 108 degrees F within a 15 minute period. Shut off heat and continue to stir for an additional 15-20 minutes.

7. Drain curd in a colander for 10-15 minutes after separating them from the whey, by pouring them into a colander with a pot underneath to collect the whey. After the whey is drained off, flip the curd once to put the bottom (which should be smoother) on top. Meanwhile, mix � cup of canning salt in one gallon of water and heat to 170 degrees F.

8. After letting the curd set, move it to a cutting board and cut curd into long strips with about 1� x 1� cross section. Lay strips in criss-cross fashion with a little space between each strip in a large glass bowl (big enough to fit the curd and gallon of salt water). Add the hot salt water to the bowl of curd strips.

9. Using a wooden spoon, begin to stretch curd in an upward motion. The curd will begin to get stringy and will become plastic and shiny. Stretch for about 10 minutes or until evenly stretched, and place the cheese on a board and knead as you would with bread, shaping it into a ball or any shape you prefer. Place the cheese in a *mold, then into cold or iced water until it is cold and firm textured. It is now ready to eat!

10. To store, dry with a towel and store in plastic wrap. For a firmer cheese, dry and cover with salt, then wrap in waxed paper. This cheese will taste good for up to a week, but also freezes well, so it is recommended to only keep out the amount that will get eaten fresh and immediately freeze the extra.

* Any food grade plastic such as a cottage cheese container with holes poked in the side will make an excellent mold.

Nic
Lovin life as a farmer and wife!
X2 Farm
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And a Tag by me also.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
After you hit 90 degrees and you stir in the rennet and are waiting for the curds to form, has all heat been removed or do you keep the mixture at 90 degrees throughout.?

Once you hit 90 degrees just add the rennet and stir it in well, then remove it from the heat, cover, and wait until you get a clean break, it should take around 30 minutes. You do not need to keep it at 90 degrees, just cover and walk away.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SnowHunter
Within a few degrees is fine...

I only use raw cows milk for my stuff (since I already have the cows wink )

I know it'll work with goats milk too, as my friends out in West GA have only goats and she makes some delicious mozzarella from their milk

I had some freshly-made mozzarella and the milk was from water buffalo.

It was wonderful! Hard to describe the flavour, but it was slightly nut-like.

Until reading this thread, I didn't know that it was practical to make their own mozzarella at home. The things you learn at the 'Fire!

John

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by heavywalker
It really isn't that much work, I started this batch tonight after dinner at 6:00 and was completely done by 7:30
Where did you find the buffalo milk? grin

Looks delicious.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
tagged as well. the kids are gonna love this

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
that looks amazing

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (32_20fan, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 300_savage, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,658
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.