Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Sorry guys may i ask you something? Why do you call Sako rifles Riihim�ki?

It's like calling a Winch 70 or 94 a New Haven or Remington 700, an Ilion.

Riihim�ki is a small town, 1 hour drive north of Helsinki, where Sako plant is installed and where Sako and now Tikka rifles are being produced. All and every model without exception.

Do you use this name to discriminate older models from news or for certain versions of Sako rifles?

Thank you.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Frog,
Good question,I always see these listed as Riihimaki; but having never held one, not sure thet they are marked as such? Are these the L46 actions? Sako experts?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Somebody wanted to see a 340, close but an 840 in 222R.

[Linked Image]

It Was a shooter though.

[Linked Image]

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Pretty much every 340, 840, etc in 222 that I have encountered
has been an excellent shooter.

H
Hi_Vel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
...so very far from an "expert", but here is my understanding as gleaned from some info from one of my books:

L-46 actions were made from 1946-1961; and all the ones i've seen were marked on the receiver, SAKO Riihimaki, but i don't know if all of them in this time period were marked as such. some original rounds were the .22 hornet and the .218 bee, with the addition of the .222 rem. coming soon after.

the L-469 was made from 1959-1961; and was "a somewhat revamped" L-46, to accomodate the .222 rem mag.

the L-461 was made from 1961-1972; and featured a hinged floorplate.

i know very little about the specific designations--i've got to leave that to the experts--i just shoot/use them frequently.

surely someone out there knows these specific designations inside and out...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You can probably get a dissertation on the Sako collectors forum.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
When I find a Sako in 222Rem Magnum it is usually in excellent
condition. I see Sako 222Rems in all kinds of condition, but
then again they probably sold more of the standard caliber than
the magnum. If anyone is interested I saw a Remington M700ADL
in 222 today, PM me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There were a few early Ruger #1's in .222 I had for a couple years ago, which I flipped for a profit. Kinda wish I had kept it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Riihimaki refers to pre-Vixen (L-461) rifles, specifically the L-46.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
All of this discussion of the .222 made me dig out my custom 700 actioned .222...26 inch Douglas number 5 with a beautiful custom stock and 3-9 Leup. on top..took her out for a run this a.m. managed 41 prairie dogs and 20 gophers before I exhausted my ammo..wonderful medium range varmit caliber.....

Molon Labe
IC B3

H
Hi_Vel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jt402
The last Rhiimaki .222 that I had my grubby little hands on turned out to be stolen. The LGS really hated to tell me the bad news. I had already scoped the darling and found that it loved factory Remington 50 grain ammo and had bought a case of it, dies, a bunch of IMR 4198, etc. But then as sweet as it was, (and the right thing to do) I gave it back. Restution given, but I have never found another to replace it. It was the most accurate centerfire rifle that I ever had. jack

...several years back, i bought a rem m 600 mohawk in .222 from a very solid dealer. the rig was in ok shape, but it needed some work. i refinished the stock, did some work on the metal, and even mounted a 4x leupold on it. used it for about 5 months. one day, while working in the shop, i heard a stranger call out my name. it was a local detective. he asked me if i had bought a .222 from "X", and i told him that i had. he winced, and regretfully told me that it was a stolen rifle--it had been stolen out of a guy's house about 8 years earlier...

he told me that they would have to take possesion of it, and that it would be used as evidence in court. with the thought of all the work i had put into it--it was like a punch in the stomach. however, i knew the original owner would want his gun back--who wouldn't--so i had the detective come to my home after work to pick it up. when he saw all the work i had done to it, the whole thing really bothered him. we visited for awhile, and then i signed the forms and he left.

when i contacted the dealer about what happened, his business had just recently become aware of all of this as well, and subsequently, he immediately issued a check to me for full reimbursement. of course my labor couldn't be reimbursed--but hopefully, all of my work on that rig just might make the original owner of it a little more happy--perhaps to off-set his loss after so many years.

how that gun fell into a dealer's inventory, without it being traced as stolen--after so many years, i'll never know. makes a fellow just a little leary after something like that happens...

NMpistolero,

are you going to buy a 600--the original model with the barrel rib? as you probably know, those models have a very slim, 18 1/2 inch barrel. by contrast, the 600 mohawk has the same length barrel, but it has the same contour as the rem 700 sporter-weight rig--so the barrel is very stiff, yet it still handles nicely. the rem 660 has a 20 inch tube, and i think it is the best handling of the three persuasions. which ever rig you buy, i'm sure you'll be happy with it--but i imagine you will want to find the same one your mentor had...

over 40 years ago, when i first saw the cisco kid whack a fox at about 300 yards on the run--and a year later, a whitetail buck on the run at about 240 yards with his rig--i thought the rig had special powers--like it was holy. of course we all know better--but still, a mentor's rifle can do that to a guy...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.