Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RinB
The room was just like a nice hotel I have stayed in downtown Seattle or Orlando etc. Very nice and modern. New clean linen. Very modern juat like a US hotel in a major city. Afton was old, the room , the bed, the linen, the towels, and you had one choice, a BBQ steak for a hefty price. No phone in room, no tv, no internet, no bathroom in my room and it cost more than the hotel.

All good points, especially the pricey steak! I may just stay at the airport next fall.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer AfricaSky Guesthouse. They even secure your rifle permits ahead of time, and meet you at the airport.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by JCS271
Originally Posted by RinB
The room was just like a nice hotel I have stayed in downtown Seattle or Orlando etc. Very nice and modern. New clean linen. Very modern juat like a US hotel in a major city. Afton was old, the room , the bed, the linen, the towels, and you had one choice, a BBQ steak for a hefty price. No phone in room, no tv, no internet, no bathroom in my room and it cost more than the hotel.

All good points, especially the pricey steak! I may just stay at the airport next fall.

I paid 20$ for the steak....and it was big...and good...I liked Afton very much.....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The first time I stayed at the Afton, in 2003, they would deliver you to any local restaurant, then pick you up. That worked fine, but I much preferred the steak and sit-around on my last trip. Have also been very pleased with the accomodations, though my hunting partners and I have had an en-suite bathroom each time.

I also like the setting, and a 10-minute drive doesn't seem like much of a problem, or the lack of a TV. But whatever works....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Afton House experience in 2009 was only positive including arranging rifle import, pickup and delivery at airport and articulate interchange between ourselves, owners and staff. It is a B&B folks. Both the steak and the breakfast were delicious and although they offered restaurant and shopping trips we elected to catch up on sleep, swim in the pool and talk with other guests.

I would stay again as it was friendly and the type of homey place I enjoy. I am however a bush bunny and lifestyles of the rich and famous are not for me.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B2

C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I will 2nd or 3rd the Afton...Bruce...the black fellow with the Gracy travel shirt, was a super help to my son and I first trip. I hope he is still at the Airport when we get in.
We also enjoyed talking to the other quests. One gent was after buff. with archery equipment, one group after elephant, one guy after lepard, one Federal Ammo guy waiting a group for DG of some sort. Was fun...food excellent, and the room very clean and comfy. That`s why were doing it again.
Were on our way Friday at 6A!

C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Well, just got back...Excellent hunt with Gary Sparrow, African Cape Trophy Safaris.
We went through the SAPS office like a hot knife through butter...one reason was reps there to meet us from the AFTON House...another is we had all paperwork filled out to a "T".(Maybe a great reason to stay there?)
Anyway had tons of fun, lots of great hunting, shooting etc..

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We will be needing pics..... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
BTB, 200 grn 8mm Accubonds out of the 8mmx300 WSM worked real fine. So did 160 Sierras` out of the 7 Wby.

I will try to get pics.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Here ya go.... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice critters!!!

IC B3

C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks AJ.

John, our PH, Nahoy our tracker/skinner, and me with the small one, plus Spud, who may lack in physical size, but makes it up in heart.
The big animal Ryan, the young guy, took.
We were very pleased with the whole adventure.

C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Well, the only fly in the ointment has been my missing ammo, locked pistol case with two boxes of 7 Wby in it. Last seen, by me, in Was/Dullas airport, checked through to Green Bay. Been a week now, United has yet to come up with it. Filled out and mailed an official United claim form yesterday.
Darn.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just returned also, and had zero problems anywhere... including JoBerg, Wind Hoek and Polokwane.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Photo of recovered bullet...

[Linked Image]

C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks again Al.

This is a sample of one I know, but this bullet sure worked for Ryan....and NO blow-ups evident. Bullet recovered from his Kudu, shot quartering on at a lazed 173 yrds. Bull ran about 30 yrds. MV of 2900 fps. 8x300 WSM...or a .325.
We were impressed with the toughness of warthogs! Ryan punched two with the Accubond right behind the front shoulder. Both ran about 50-60 yrds befor tipping. Both had quarter sized exit holes in em.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've hunted with Gary Sparrow, he's great you and your son will have a great time.

Last edited by Blueskieshunting; 06/29/12.

Brian
C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
We DID have a very good time. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,827
Posts18,516,845
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.