Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
So my Lee kit came in via UPS and I set it all up. All my supplies are here, but I'm still waiting for my dies and reloading manual to get here. In the meantime, I've been reading all sorts of stuff here and elsewhere and I came across a thread about how many times you can re-use brass. The gist of it was you can get more re-uses if you only resize the neck 9 times out of 10 and on the 10th, do a full case resize. Since I'm so new to all this, I wasn't even aware they existed. Should I be out shopping around for one asap in order to keep my brass life as high as possible?

I took some spare time the other day and took the calipers to some of the fired brass I've been saving up. It turns out it's all in pretty good shape as is. The necks are just big enough to drop a bullet in all the way. I assume this means they'd need to be sized down about 0.002 and then expanded just far enough to seat a bullet? Am I on the right track here?

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is no magic number for how often you can neck size before you need to push the shoulder back. Your rifle will tell you when it's required. When your neck sized brass becomes difficult to chamber it's time to bump the shoulder.

My recommendation is to buy a Lee Collet Die (LCD)and a Redding Body Die (RBD). Use the LCD for everyday sizing and when it's time to bump the shoulder use the RBD to do so. Then run the sized case into the LCD and you'll be golden.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
For a Collet die, can I get away with a 308 die for a 300 savage? Lee doesn't list a collet die in 300 sav.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope but the .308 die can be modified to work on the .300.

I've done several.

Lee will also make you a LCD for the .300 for $60.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neck sizing is great for target rounds. I would never neck size for a big game rifle where there were big brown fuzzies.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've neck sized near every cartridge I own for 30+ years including some screaming Weatherby's. How many reloads until one needs to bump the shoulders? Seems that if a cartridge comes out of my chamber, it always goes back in.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
I've neck sized near every cartridge I own for 30+ years including some screaming Weatherby's. How many reloads until one needs to bump the shoulders? Seems that if a cartridge comes out of my chamber, it always goes back in.

Me too.
It's amazing how little my FL dies and RBD's get used. Hell, I could throw all my FL dies in the lake and I'd never miss them.

My WSM's seem to require more frequent trips through the RBD than other cartridges but still not very often.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a Lee collet die on my Swift brass and the brass is usually trashed before I need to trim it. I'm not going to list the load because it ain't in the books.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeReilly

Nope.

That's a neck expanding die for using cast bullets.

Buy the .308 LCD, send it to me and I'll modify it for the cost of shipping.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My suggestion is to not get too wound up in numbers. At least at this time. Get you a set of F/L dies and learn to make simple, straight-forward ammo. After that, if you want, you can get into some of the other types of resizing your brass.
Doing what is called a "partial full length" resizing has worked for a whole lot of people and it uses a f/l die and doesn't require buying anymore "thingies".

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good advice from Stillbeeman but using the LCD makes reloading much more enjoyable since you don't have to lube your cases.
Make great ammo too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you neck size with a Redding S die you don't have to lube your cases either. Or even with most other neck sizing dies.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
OP did not say if his saved brass is all form his own gun. If not,1 st time needs to beFL

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 1minute

I don't have the problem with neck dies either, but I do with FL dies--FL dies tend to squeeze the body of the case a little, and that pushes the shoulder forward if you have the length adjusted so that the shoulder can go forward. I've rechambered fired brass just fine, then sized with an FL die backed off and found that it wouldn't chamber.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

No, that die EXPANDS the case mouth, it doesn't size the neck. Most use them for seating cast bullets.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by nsaqam

Thank you very much for the generous offer. If I can't find a collet die in .300 or if partial resizing with an FL doesn't work out I know I have a back up plan. I prefer not to impose, so I'll see if I can come up with an alternate plan first.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I brush and lube the insides of the neck along with lubing the case. I find doing that keeps me from having to fool with a bunch of thingies to see if my cases are straight, etc.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a few bad experiences with neck sizing over many years of hunting mostly in adverse weather conditions.Two suggestions if you go this route,first chamber all rounds prior for fit[and I mean rotate them ever so slightly several times you may have a sloppy chamber] and I highly recommend you take along a cleaning rod just for good measure for a stuck case should it occur.Hunts are expensive these days and it doesn't take much effort to FL size for added protection...just my 2 cents

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nsaqam

Thank you very much for the generous offer. If I can't find a collet die in .300 or if partial resizing with an FL doesn't work out I know I have a back up plan. I prefer not to impose, so I'll see if I can come up with an alternate plan first.

PFLR will work fine but you'll still be working the brass excessively.

Don't worry about imposing because I like doing it and it gives me another excuse to use my lathe.

Stillbeeman is still right though that getting the basics of reloading down and getting comfortable with the process is paramount.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (264mag, 2500HD, 257 mag, 160user, 1shotnokilz, 325wsm1, 25 invisible), 16,978 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,356
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.