ken999 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That does look pretty handy. I wonder how the mid wall tie-outs are constructed? A decent sized cordura patch on the backside of that point should get the job done. Looks from the pics like that's what it has.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I need to get into tarp living. Not sure this is the way to start ($$$), but it just adds to the intrigue of sleeping under a tarp.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
I need to get into tarp living. Not sure this is the way to start ($$$), but it just adds to the intrigue of sleeping under a tarp.

Sew your own.

Get Ray Jardines book Tarp Essentials.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by evanhill
That does look pretty handy. I wonder how the mid wall tie-outs are constructed? A decent sized cordura patch on the backside of that point should get the job done. Looks from the pics like that's what it has.

A little GE silicone with a few tack stitches can accomplish that anywhere on a sil tarp.

I guess Paratipis just about stopped selling. I still ain't feeling the love for this shelter. Patrick steadfastly refuses to design a shelter of this size that has a stove jack AT THE END OF THE SHELTER without having to buy and mess with an annex.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think Patrick has the right idea about the stove jacks on the annex ..Not everyone wants a stove, no sense in having a Jack on a shelter if you're not gonna use a stove...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MuleyFan
I think Patrick has the right idea about the stove jacks on the annex ..Not everyone wants a stove, no sense in having a Jack on a shelter if you're not gonna use a stove...

That is silly. How many Kifaru shelter owners don't own a stove? The added weight argument won't fly either 'cause stove jacks can be made to be removeable. Seek Outside does.

The zipper on each end makes sense. Have the stove on the far end and be able to unzip and dump firewood near the stove. In otherwords, a Paratipi with proper stove placement, with a zipper added (and this one could be a #5 to save an ounce or two) to service the stove. In other words, what people have been asking for on the Kifaru Forum for years.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not feeling the love on this one frown

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Profit is all about upgrades, extras and add ons these days.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunter_241
Profit is all about upgrades, extras and add ons these days.

Kifaru seems to do this best...

As for the shleter itself, it looks cool. I do not think I would want to use it in a place that would see a lot of wind. If I was in a base camp in the timber I could see using it as a "wood shed". I do not think I need a $350+ wood shed though, a tarp will do just fine.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I think upgrades, extras, and add-ons came about to address the needs of picky customers (we backcountry hunters are a picky lot, and no two of us can agree on anything), not to increase profit.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The demise of the Paratipi seems to be more due to the Sawtooth and probably some to the BCS. For a little more coin you get a bigger shelter with a better lay out.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by sreekers
The demise of the Paratipi seems to be more due to the Sawtooth and probably some to the BCS. For a little more coin you get a bigger shelter with a better lay out.

The demise of the Paratipi is no doubt due to the poor design as TAK pointed out. Looks to me like a Warbonnet Superfly rework.

Last edited by JoeH; 06/21/12.

Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah.- Psalm 55:7

K
ken999 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I doubt the Megatarp will have any issues in the wind when pitched correctly. It looks like it will cut the wind alot better than a BCS.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Actually the BCS performs very well in the wind

Last edited by Kevin_T; 06/22/12.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
K
ken999 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
That it may. I doubt the Mega will fare any worse though seeing how much lower it is, hence my comment.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I also noticed the resemblance to the Warbonnet Superfly, a shelter which I learned about a few months ago. I see this and the new Kifaru offering as largely shelters for timbered country and prefer the tipi styles or a low dome tent for exposed, windy situations.

You CAN make different designs work in many ambient conditions, but, some traditional designs, as in the dome tent in heavy snowfall areas, are just better suited to specific conditions than are others.

If,I ever buy another shelter, except perhaps a Hille. Saitaris, it will be a BCS, no question. I have the utmost respect for EdT, who had quite a lot of input on it and trust his designs.

In fact, I intend to sell my Kifaru 8-man, as it is not quite large enough for my uses as they have evolved and will probably keep the K-stove, large, by Ed, for use outside under a tarp,so, I do not have to deal with windblown sparks, etc,from an open campfire.

K
ken999 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Ha!...8 man's not big enough, but your next buy is gonna be a BCS?

Must be missing something here...or not.

And what does ANY of this have to do with the Megatarp?

Last edited by ken999; 06/22/12.
K
ken999 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by MuleyFan
I think Patrick has the right idea about the stove jacks on the annex.

I agree. No need putting any holes in the tarp itself when the stove port works perfectly fine in the Annex as designed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ken999
Ha!...8 man's not big enough, but your next buy is gonna be a BCS?

Must be missing something here...or not.

And what does ANY of this have to do with the Megatarp?

Do you have more than one shelter? Many guys on a backpack hunting internet forum are gear nuts and have a lot of tents. Maybe the Kif 8 man isn't big enough for his use as a base camp or family camping tent and he'd rather have a 12 man.

The BCS is a great 1-2-3 person setup. Different uses.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 163bc, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,660
Posts18,512,866
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.