Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Usually use Butches Bore Shine 2 clean the bore on all my rifles. Ran out a while back and went 2 my local gun store 2 get some new. They were out of Butches so I bought what they had which was Shooters Coice Extreme Formula, and have been using it for a while. Does a decent job, but yesterday after using the stuff for a couple of months, I was looking over the label and noticed that it said 2 not leave in bore over night. My usual method of bore cleaning is 3 wet patches worked back and forth from the action 2 the muzzle, then pushed off the rod at the muzzle. Let sit for 10 to 30 minutes and dry patch. I do this till no sighns of copper are present on the dry patch. If the bore is stubborn, I will let solvent remain in bore for hours, sometimes overnight and longer. Have I done any damage with leaving the Shooters Choice in the bore for an extended period of time?? I know that Butches says that thiers does no harm. All of my rifles have SS barrels. Does it matter about the material of construction, have heard that CM barrels can be damaged by strong solvents??

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Get rid of Butches, SC, and the rest of that crap and get yourself a can of Wipeout foam, Works 10X better is perfectly safe in your barrels (not wood!).

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
+1000 on Jorge's rec, Wipeout foam is the shizzle.

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
When I opened this thread I was gonna put in a plug for wipeout.....y'all beat me to it! Simply the best I have ever used.

Word of caution: Place a rag over the "wrist" of your stock to catch any excess...it WILL eat or discolor some finishes. I have not had any problems with the Remington/Browning type epoxy finishes, but God have mercy on you if it gets on any older finishes. Don't ask me how I know what it will do to a Pre-64 Winchester finish. Otherwise, fantastic stuff!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Have used Wipeout, like it, but was out of it also. Will get some more soon!

What do yall think about Shooters Choice and leaving in SS barrels??

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think there's an issue with SC and SS barrels or any barrels for that matter. I cut mine 50/50 with Kroil

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What I have read is the issue is with letting any solution with ammonia in it dry out in the barrel. The etching does not occur if it stays wet. The effect is less with stainless steel.

Kroil or some of the black powder gels mixed with Shooters Choice slow down the drying process and avoids the possible damage.

If you treated the barrels with UBC you might not need to let them sit more very long at all.

Last edited by Tejano; 06/22/12.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wipeout or Patchout is the best I have used.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wipeout or Patchout is the best I have used.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've tested a bunch of solvents using my Hawkeye bore-scope, because cleaning until we don't see "color" on the patches does't necessarily mean the bore is actually clean.

The newer solvents, like Wipe-Out and Montana X-Treme, are oil-based, the reason they can be left in the bore indefinitely without etching it, unlike many older solvents, especially Sweet's. That's why I like 'em: I can just put some solvent in the bore and let it work, whether for an hour or overnight. With older water-based solvents you have to run a patch through every 10-15 minutes, which becomes an swful lot like work.

For moderate-foul barrels I find either Wipe-Out or Montana X-Treme Bore Solvent work about the same. For really copper-fouled bores I used Montana X-Treme Copper killer.

I have been advised by a company that did some testing that adding the accelerant to Wipe-Out tends to etch bores. Copper Killer doesn't.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,

How does Copper Killer compare with Barnes CR-10? I have had good luck with the CR-10 for removing stubborn copper fouling.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wipeout is almost my fav. Now I use Bore-tech Eliminator. No stink, along with Wipeout, and it works at least as good.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Chet,

Copper Killer works at least as fast as CR-10, and maybe faster, but I prefer it mostly because it allows me to walk away and let the solvent work, without having to push another patch through the bore every 10-15 minutes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally, I have yet to try anything that beats the foaming bore cleaner made by Outers/gunslick. I've taken guns cleaned with Butches, and or other copper solvants and then cleaned them with the Foam. The patches come out so blue you would have thought I never touched the guns before. shocked

I often fill the bore with the foam, go have dinner or lunch, and come back 30 minutes later. 2 or 3 dry patches pushed thru the bore and everything is out. To hell with all the scrubbing and repeating soakings the other traditional copper cleaners require. wink

Last edited by dmsbandit; 06/22/12.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JeffP40
Wipeout is almost my fav. Now I use Bore-tech Eliminator. No stink, along with Wipeout, and it works at least as good.

Yep, the new-technology, water-based products (like Wipe-Out and Bore-Tech products) work best, IME.

Montana Extreme may now have a copper remover that's good. What I've tested of theirs, using my Foul Out, exhibited poor performance in exchange for a lot of work and ammonia inhalation.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Chet,

Copper Killer works at least as fast as CR-10, and maybe faster, but I prefer it mostly because it allows me to walk away and let the solvent work, without having to push another patch through the bore every 10-15 minutes.

+1 on Copper Killer. I also like it better than Wipe Out, which is the best foam cleaner I've used, as CK works faster (and no danger I'll forget about it and ruin a bore).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those Montana X-treme products have totally changed the way I clean rifles. Just plug the chamber, squirt a healthy dose of bore solvent or copper killer down the bore, cover the muzzle and let the rifle sit. Come back the next day and pour out the blue liquid, run a couple or three dry patches through the bore, a patch of oil and you're done. By plugging the bore there are no worries about it getting on the stock finish or anywhere you don't want it.

Easy peasy.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
like wipe out but........Bore-tech Eliminator is the best yet

seems faster, attacks copper and carbon fouling and you can leave it forever.

montana was my favorite but who needs the smell unless it's Hoppes smile

Last edited by Jglenn; 06/22/12.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Jglenn
like wipe out but........Bore-tech Eliminator is the best yet

seems faster, attacks copper and carbon fouling and you can leave it forever.

Finally a Bore Tech fan. +1 here.
I use Bore Tech Carbon Remover first for the powder fouling and then BT Eliminator for the copper/jacket fouling.
I highly recommend a nickel plated jag to prevent false blue patches from brass jags. You may be scrubbing a perfectly clean barrel and still get blue color on your patches thinking the bore is not yet copper free, when the blue is from the brass.
Try this stuff, I think you will like it and it's safe on your bore.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I really like KG-12 bore cleaner. This stuff works really well with removing copper.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 3,233 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,222
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.