-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the explanation, if my inquiries get bothersome - just say so - 'cause you sparked a lot of 'em.

It makes new guys puke fairly quick.

>laughin'<

Including new "in country" pilots, flyin' with tree-huggin' LTs.

Pretty bad when the guy who'll be doin' the flyin' is tossin' apple sauce.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
True on all counts. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I don't post a lot (been here since the old Shooters fourm) - I just read a lot and this is one of the best reads ever on the Campfire. Write a book DD.

Take a kid hunting!!! Old member name - Reloader - joined 2001
C
C
From a fellow Banshee Trooper (although a few generations removed) please do write a book. You have some awesome stories in these pages and a very unique way of telling them. I am going to bring all my Cav buddies in here to read it, I know I spend a whole night glued to my computer screen dreading getting to page 7. If you have some time I encourage you to visit www.kiowapilots.net and post this there as well. It's a pretty much an online scout pilot's hooch and the input and experience from your era would be invaluable there. I know I can relate to 80% of the tactics you describe here. We forgot a lot of them and had to relearn quickly once the current conflicts evolved into full blown counterinsurgency warfare. Take care and I hope I get to meet you in person one day.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RelodR
I don't post a lot (been here since the old Shooters fourm) - I just read a lot and this is one of the best reads ever on the Campfire. Write a book DD.

Nah, this place came about in 2000, you are from 2010, your still a newby and wet behind the ears. cool

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cavman
From a fellow Banshee Trooper (although a few generations removed) please do write a book. You have some awesome stories in these pages and a very unique way of telling them. I am going to bring all my Cav buddies in here to read it, I know I spend a whole night glued to my computer screen dreading getting to page 7. If you have some time I encourage you to visit www.kiowapilots.net and post this there as well. It's a pretty much an online scout pilot's hooch and the input and experience from your era would be invaluable there. I know I can relate to 80% of the tactics you describe here. We forgot a lot of them and had to relearn quickly once the current conflicts evolved into full blown counterinsurgency warfare. Take care and I hope I get to meet you in person one day.

Wow...didn't see this one coming! Give my best to the scouts and thanks for your service! Appreciate the link. Was up at Ft. Campbell last May for what I recall as the ceremony for the return of colors to the Fort by 2/17 ACS. Told the squadron CO he looked too young to be in charge of that many pirates.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dan, I like what I see so far.

My older Brother was at Guam in the 70's. He was a Navy Lt then, his job was head of security at Navel Air Station Agana. He too waited for the new crop of gals, and wound up marrying a Coast Guard Warrant's daughter.

Sam......

C
C
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by cavman

Wow...didn't see this one coming! Give my best to the scouts and thanks for your service! Appreciate the link. Was up at Ft. Campbell last May for what I recall as the ceremony for the return of colors to the Fort by 2/17 ACS. Told the squadron CO he looked too young to be in charge of that many pirates.

LOL, we've probably met face to face then, I just have terrible memory with names and tend to forget an EP or limit when trying to commit one to memory crazy . Apologies for not recalling yours. Small world indeed, honored to have meet you and hopefully you'll add more chapters to this thread in the future.

Last edited by cavman; 06/20/12.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
This is too precious, and too important to not be bumped again.

So, BUMP.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Cavman, I signed up at Kiowa Pilots and await confirmation. Thanks for the link.

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice to see that your terminal is still dry.

How goes the deluge ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Rain has abated, tide stage high. We're at low tide now and it looks like a spring season high. Looks like we'll do ok, wait'n see for now.

I am..........disturbed.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Digital Dan:

I just discovered this thread because I don't often visit the Hunters' Campfire Forum. But I'm wildly joyful that I did today: your multi-chapter narrative is outstanding!

I especially enjoyed Chapter 16, Sport in the Rolling Hills, in part because I so enjoyed "Off topic, but still a small game" a few years ago.

I have no idea what it cost you to write this material, but I am profoundly grateful to you for writing this narrative. It's one of the best narratives of personal military experience that I've ever read. Well Done!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
22, thank you for that sir!

The personal cost was small. Had to rinse my shorts out a few times back then, and sit in front of the computer for several hours/days/maybe a week when I put it to paper. It came out in a torrent for reasons I've not contemplated much.

The other costs were severe. To the U.S. and our allies in dollars and lives. The other side spent few dollars but paid far more dearly than our side in terms of human life. It is a lesson that gives pause to older generations and is largely ignored by the younger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War_casualties

I am..........disturbed.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just re-read this, and it's just too good not to bump. I've never made an administrative type suggestion here before, but I for one wouldn't mind seeing a 'hall o' fame' post type forum. I'm on a saltwater fishing forum, and they have one. It's kind of neat to be able to go back and re-digest some amazing posts. No comments allowed, but they remain as an enjoyment/testament to the members who've shared some things that other members felt were deserving of recognition. There's a handful that stick out to me. This is one.

Anyway, you were very close, BTW, Daniel-san. It's Nuoc Mam. wink

[Linked Image]

Thank you for both your service, and your sharing of yourself. This is personal history stuff that needs to be preserved, IMO.

Oh, and not for nothing, but you've got some nerve calling others crazy...

Last edited by kamo_gari; 08/15/12.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Generous accolades there, thank you.

Nuoc mam, the sauce that keeps 'Nam rollin' along. The common folk over there put it on everything. Their lunch box is a wad of rice with sauce, rolled into a banana leaf. Simple, sound and expedient. Banana leafs are abundant.

I don't know this to be true, but my understanding is the sauce is made by layering small sea fish in salt and spices in an earthen crock and letting it age for quite a long time. It has that appearance anyway, and the odor and sharp bite of peppers.

It is quite pungent. Early morning, dawn just breaking. Mountains draped with thin misty veils sliding up the ridges and over the top, only to disappear on the back side as the moisture moved back to warmer temperatures on a soft mountain breeze. NVA cook fires hastily extinguished because of the approaching slap of rotor blades, but the thermal lift had already pushed the scent of Nuoc Mam into the tree tops and it didn't take a bird dog to follow that scent upwind until it vanished. The smell clashed profoundly with the moist jungle scent of wet green and rushing streams.

Like the pointer close to the covey, nervous flitting about the tree tops almost always led to the camp. Usually it had been quickly abandoned, but sometimes not. Sometimes fireworks followed.

To truly recognize "crazy" and appreciate the spectrum of nuance on that canvas, it helps if you have lived in that house awhile.

I am..........disturbed.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hall of Fame Post--- Great post DigitalDan-- You are right about the home made aging fish in the crock. I love the smell of Nuoc mam in the morning.--- thanks Web

[Linked Image]
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Write the book...it is that important!

Bump for a must read from DD

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Agree. I've read it a dozen times so far. Hoping hard DD follows it up with more. These personal histories are so important, IMO.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bookmarked. Truly excellent, Dan. Stunning.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 007FJ, 51 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,036
Posts18,500,720
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.