Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Trying to understand why a man would want a bolt action rifle in 357 mag confused

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would kinda like one as a step up rifle for my kid when he gets a little older.

Plus, I have probably 30 lbs. of brass to feed it. blush

I have a few serious hunting rifles. Sometimes I buy something just because it's fun. If you can consistently hit at 300 yards with a .357 maggie, 500 with an '06 should be a chip shot.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brian Pearce has a good article on these rifles in the July issue of Rifle Magazine. If you don't subscribe, hunt one up.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Why does anybody need a logical reason to own one? I have mine because I wanted it...and we all know how I can be if I don't get what I want.

My friend's 10-year old son asked to borrow it for his first deer hunt this fall and it should be a good choice for him; small, light, easy on the ears and shoulder, and powerful enough for his needs at this point.

[Linked Image]

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
With all the nice used Marlin 44 and 357 rifles out there that are even handier, I don't see the need to buy one.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not everyone likes lever guns. (ducking)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
With all the nice used Marlin 44 and 357 rifles out there that are even handier, I don't see the need to buy one.

If you can find one. In my area, anything other that a 30-30 is scarse. If you do find a Marlin in 44 or 357, they are quite expensive. Other parts of the state/country may be different.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Need doesn't have much to do with the purchase of a second rifle. They do a few things better than lever guns, and visa versa.

The SS version is better in wet weather.

On assumption one hits the target with the first shot, I'm at a loss to see the superiority of a lever gun and I own several of the latter.

The 77/44 is lighter than the Marlin and probably more accurate if loaded properly.

You won't feel guilty if you turn your Ruger around and paddle the canoe with it.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Can't wait to get my 77/44 out in the woods this year. Being short and light it should be super handy in the woods where I spend most my time.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I own the 77/.357, have owned the Marlin .44 and .357. Neither of the Marlins would hold a candle to the Ruger in terms of accuracy.

The little Ruger is just has handy as the Marlins. It is more user friendly, with a scope mounted.

I do a lot of walk around hunting and the .357 is great for close range work.

I've got a couple box blinds in East Tx. that are in thick growth and both have short 75-80 yard shooting lanes. The 158 grain jacketed flat points are deadly on porkers and small deer at these ranges.

Attached Images
77:357.jpg (87.73 KB, 26520 downloads)
Last edited by TERRY8mm; 06/26/12.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
I own the 77/.357, have owned the Marlin .44 and .357. Neither of the Marlins would hold a candle to the Ruger in terms of accuracy.

The little Ruger is just has handy as the Marlins. It is more user friendly, with a scope mounted.

I do a lot of walk around hunting and the .357 is great for close range work.

I've got a couple box blinds in East Tx. that are in thick growth and both have short 75-80 yard shooting lanes. The 158 grain jacketed flat points are deadly on porkers and small deer at these ranges.

I have had some pretty accurate Marlin 357 rifles especially. Your Ruger must be a tackdriver. I cannot see how the Ruger is any more user friendly with a scope mounted. I have a Weaver 2.5X mounted nice and low on my little 1894C and it is very user friendly. Equipped with a receiver sight, there is no bolt action rifle handier than a levergun. You can wrap your hand around the reciever and carry it all day like it is not even there.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like this rifle and cartridge combination will be around for many years.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I loved my Marlins, sans scopes. I've got such a big head I couldn't get a decent cheek weld, even with low mounts.

Neither of my 2 .44's or the .357 Marlin would avg. less than 4" at 100 yds. The 77/.357 will easily avg. ~2" at 100, for 4 shots.

I actually held on to the last Marlin .44(a 1981 model) till I got the Ruger.

For me, maybe not others, the Ruger balances and points perfectly.

I did at one time have a little Marlin in .32-20 that was amazing at 50 yds. I just sold a Savage 23 in .32-20 that was very accurate as well.

YMMV

Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mudhen
Brian Pearce has a good article on these rifles in the July issue of Rifle Magazine. If you don't subscribe, hunt one up.

At one time I did get Rifle. When they stopped Rifles and Woodsmoke / Barsness,
I let the subscription run itself out. I'll hunt one up.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I would prefer the bolt gun.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Me too, Travis.

I can't really say why, but the idea of a .357 and a .44 bolt gun really appeals to me. Probably has something to do with the impulsive, irrational rebel side of me.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To me it comes down to scope use. If you want a scope use the ruger, if not the leverguns are, for me, the better choice. I can definetly make faster hits with a lever.

I do not like the feel of a levergun with a scope on it.
Exception being some of the lever action .22's. They are not so bad with the smaller scopes on them.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking my boys wouldn't hate it to start their deer hunting careers here in Indiana with the 77/357 (meets are regs for rifle). Anyone know if the inletting is the same for the 77/357 as the 77/22?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I didn't know untill now how light this rifle is.At 5.5 lbs I am going to have to take a closer look at it for my daughters first deer rifle.This is half the price of the Kimber we were considering and just as light.

How low can you mount a small objective scope? The pictures so far seem to have higher than necessary mounts.Is bolt clearence an issue?

We were looking into the Kimber in 223.Recoil in my 7 lb rifle with 100 grain 243 factory loads,was a bit too much for my daughter.What would recoil be like in one of these 77/357's ? She is 4'4" tall and 65lbs.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Me too, Travis.

I can't really say why, but the idea of a .357 and a .44 bolt gun really appeals to me. Probably has something to do with the impulsive, irrational rebel side of me.

I like the idea of being able to swap out the trigger, and stock with some quality shizz.

And, if you decide to suppress something, these are THE route to go.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (222ND, 2500HD, 1OntarioJim, 257Bob, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,202 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,934
Posts18,479,981
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.