Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I have a rifle nearing the final stages of being built (waiting on McMillan stock to show up then send to Redneck).

I have the following scopes picked out to choose from. The will ALL serve my needs, but I'm looking for ONE particular thing.

*At the very last minute of shooting light, which scope will give me the brightest, sharpest, image?

Scope models are:

1. Swarovski Z3 3-10x42mm apx. $839
2. Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44mm apx. $1,429
3. Leupold VX-6 2-12x42mm apx. $900

I'm choosing between these three because they have a great reputation for light gathering and image quality. I'm not a fan of objectives larger than 44mm., otherwise I would be looking at some 50-56mm. objective scopes.

I've been using a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 and a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 with good luck, so I would also like to know if I should see a noticable difference between the brightest of the 3 mentioned earlier and the VX-3 models.

Any input from folks who have "eyes on" experience with these models would be greatly appreciated.

SCHOOLCRAFT

GB1

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
anyone?

have had clients use leupold 3,5 8 x 40 and found that reticle gathered light while it was literally dark , he saw it before i did , and that took care of that , even 8 power zeiss binos could only make out line , he saw it all and 1 boom later all was said and done,,, we had been waiting all afternoon and in africa sunset is quick , i mean we really stretched the term last light , still reckon he could not have done it without that scope...

If that helps you ...

I think I saw a thread on here just a couple of days ago, about how someone really noticed a difference with the Z5 3.5-18x44 vs. the Z3 3-10x42.

Saying the Z5 was much better than the Z3 in the low light, I'm not sure exactly why that would be.

I'm not sure how the Leupold compares to those two.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Of thoes,I would pick the Leupold,but not for last light ability.Any of thoes choices should easily take you past legal light.

I would pick the VX-6 because I would use the low power and wide FOV more than any other feature and the glass is plenty good VS the price.

Everything is going to be a trade off including weight,and price.You just have to list your needs and choose based on what fits best.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 06/27/12.
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Of thoes,I would pick the Leupold,but not for last light ability.Any of thoes choices should easily take you past legal light.

I would pick the VX-6 because I would use the low power and wide FOV more than any other feature and the glass is plenty good VS the price.

Everything is going to be a trade off including weight,and price.You just have to list your needs and choose based on what fits best.

I'm keeping weight, price, magnification, ect. all in mind.....but my first priority is having the brightest/sharpest image at the last possible minute of dusk.

While this will come in mighty handy for deer season, I also hunt hogs all year round. If they come out during daylight, it will be at THE VERY LAST minute before total darkness. We also hunt them during full moon/clear sky nights over corn piles.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Are you taking no flash pictures of them at last light, or aiming at them? grin

I guess my point is you're worrying too much. I've shot deer and pigs on a timber lease at both edges of daylight using multicoated M8 6x42 Leupolds with no problem whatsoever.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
mathman,

You're right...all of them will work fine.....just like I stated in my original post.

I believe JB ranked that Leupy 6x42 you mentioned very high on his "brightness scale".

While all the models I listed will work fine, I'm just wondering which one will have the brightest image.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Of the three, the VX-6 tested the brightest. However, in all fairness, you are really looking at some pretty small differences.
The other things are magnification and dust on the lenses. Before Mule Deer tests scopes, he cleans them throughly. Even uses Q-Tips dipped in alcohol on the inside edges of the lenses.
Magnification is another factor. The larger the objective, the more magnification one can use during low light conditions. It has the effect of putting you closer to the target. A 44mm scope can use just a touch more magnification so that may offset the slightly sharper image.
I would pick a Leupold for other reasons. But what you value might not be what I look for in a scope. E

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Of the three, the VX-6 tested the brightest. However, in all fairness, you are really looking at some pretty small differences.
The other things are magnification and dust on the lenses. Before Mule Deer tests scopes, he cleans them throughly. Even uses Q-Tips dipped in alcohol on the inside edges of the lenses.
Magnification is another factor. The larger the objective, the more magnification one can use during low light conditions. It has the effect of putting you closer to the target. A 44mm scope can use just a touch more magnification so that may offset the slightly sharper image.
I would pick a Leupold for other reasons. But what you value might not be what I look for in a scope. E

Thanks E,
If the Leupy VX-6 is going to be hang right there with the Swaro Z5, and save me about $500, seems like a simple choice.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SCHOOLCRAFT
While this will come in mighty handy for deer season, I also hunt hogs all year round. If they come out during daylight, it will be at THE VERY LAST minute before total darkness. We also hunt them during full moon/clear sky nights over corn piles.

Of the three scopes listed, the Leupold VX-6 2-12x42mm illuminated German #4 would be my pick.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been looking at that one and trying to decide between that and the 6500 2.5-16x42. Probably leaning toward the 6500 more because of the Rainguard HD coatings. I know JG has the VX-6 and reports good things about it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer Zeiss LotuTec coatings. I'm still a little peeved by Zeiss decision to discontinue their 2.5-10x42mm Diavari and Varipoint scopes. mad

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup. That was probably their most useful and not all that heavy either. Even though it used a 30mm tube, it still weighed about an ounce less than my 4200 2.5-10x40 that has a 1" tube. That, to me, is the most useful power range for an all around BG hunting scope.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by FOsteology
I prefer Zeiss LotuTec coatings. I'm still a little peeved by Zeiss decision to discontinue their 2.5-10x42mm Diavari and Varipoint scopes. mad

Fost, a man with your stroke ought to be able to phone Zeiss and get that particular model put back into production. We're counting on you.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is one of the guys that might have some influence on models being brought back too..

Bob Kaleta

bkaletazeiss.com

he's a hunter also and a real nice guy to chat with.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Leupold 2-12x42, lighted reticule, may be german 4. Best ratio quality/price of the three.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the Leupy VX-6 is going to be hang right there with the Swaro Z5, and save me about $500, seems like a simple choice.

I have no experience with the VX-6 but do have experience with the z5. But it has a 52mm objective. My son-in-law and I have compared it with both my Bushnell 4200 4-16X40's and both of us have seen absolutely no difference in low light performance. He can see in the dark without a flashlight and I suffer from night blindness. Can't get two people with more low light difference nd yet we came to the same conclusion.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
all of those are a huge waste of money,just built for those who THINK they are getting the best.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What caliber and how far you shooting?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

447 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 32 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,453
Posts18,529,031
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.