-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So now I've got to figure out photobucket again... great.
Let me see what I can do.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
After 33 years... Lets see some pix.

Why does he need to prove anything to you?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MikeS
I have hunted Coues every year for 33 years now. To each their own, but I have to chuckle at the thought that you "need" to shoot them at 500+ yards, or that they could take 3 lung hits to put down. Go ahead and shoot them from as far as your skills allow, but be able to finish what you started, it's often more likely to wound at long range than miss clean.

In this era of increasing long range hunting popularity, this is very sound advice no matter the animal you're hunting IMO.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MikeS
I have hunted Coues every year for 33 years now. To each their own, but I have to chuckle at the thought that you "need" to shoot them at 500+ yards, or that they could take 3 lung hits to put down. Go ahead and shoot them from as far as your skills allow, but be able to finish what you started, it's often more likely to wound at long range than miss clean.
TOtally depends on your ability. The key here is to know that you are or are not capable at X range. Beyond that its no ones business how you go about doing it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If your stupid rich, and want to drop around $10-15000, call Kirby Allen, and have him build you a 338 Allen Mag. 700 yds is just warming them up.

Toby Joe

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or better yet, a 375 AM. 700 yards would be where you zero one of those beasts laugh

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Or get closer. Zero cost.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If the guide is saying he can put you on a good buck for certain but you have to be able to shoot at least 500 yards it's because he's got a honey hole and you just can't hunt that spot any other way. From what I gather the guide isn't saying you have to be able to kill at those ranges but if you want a sure chance at an above average buck this is what it's going to take. The guide also isn't saying he can't put him on a deer at closer range, just if he can shoot that far it opens up a really good option.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is not uncommon to glass up a nice Coues buck at 600-1,000 yards across a canyon, bedded comfortably in the shade of an oak or a juniper. Personally, neither I nor anyone I have hunted with, have ever unlimbered the tripod (preferably mounted with "the Claw") or got prone with the rifle over a day pack and proceeded to blast away at the distant animal.

What you do is plan the best stalk that you can and proceed. If you have a companion or companions, they stay and watch the animal, so that if it moves before you get over there, you at least know which way it went. Often as not, some of these stalks end up with the deer having disappeared before you get there. In the latter circumstance, about half the time, the observer(s) don't even see the deer move out--he just won't be there when you get there. That's why they call them the "grey ghosts" and why it's called "hunting", not "shooting".

An outfitter that tells you to be prepared for 600-750 yard shots is more interested in being able to say something like, "Ninety-five percent of our hunters get shots--if you can shoot we can put you on a trophy".

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The above statement is an opinion. Just like mine.

Some of us like the thrill of close, some don't. Both are challenges of their own kind. Both can be ethical or not. Both can result in quick clean kills or not.

FWIW every animal at this point in my life, that I've shot at beyond 500 yards has died very quickly. And I have yet to miss, but only have shot out to just over 800 on game so far, though almost had a shot around 950 IIRC that would have been DRT to because the check shot was spot on... but the sheep moved after that and never presented an ethical, to me, target.

I"m about tired of folks that get on their high horse and preach about the only way to do it is there way.

Me... I've had fun from 3 yards out to 802 yards so far and everything in between so I fail to see what use folks get out of preaching that if you don't get closer you ain't worth a flip and so on..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't own a high horse. I just think the odds are better if you're closer than 750yds.

I think very few can make that shot consistently in all conditions.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
...every animal... that I've shot at beyond 500 yards has died very quickly. And I have yet to miss, but only have shot out to just over 800 on game so far, though almost had a shot around 950 IIRC that would have been DRT to...

Quite substantial claims, especially taking credit for shots you never even took. grin

The rest of us might as well go home.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
After 33 years... Lets see some pix.

Why does he need to prove anything to you?

I dont know about you, dickhead, but I like seeing pictures of dead stuff. Especially 33 years worth of Coues hunting. Is that ok with you, or do I need permission?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Typical.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by E Blair
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
I just got off the phone with an AZ outfitter that mentioned, for the slightly easier draw unit in 2013, he can get me into some B&C-class bucks IF I'm able to pull off shots over 500 yards and in one area, between 600-750 yards across a mountain.

Thoughts?

WTF?! Seriously? You can't get closer than 500-750 yds? Sounds more like prairie dog shooting rather than hunting.

Ain't nothing like someone back east telling us out west how it hould be done. whistle Last time I hunted Southern AZ I watched a Coues Deer doe and her fawn for several hours before it got too hot and they bedded down. I was hunting Desert Mule Deer so even if she'd been a buck I couldn't have taken the shot. She was maybe 450 to 500 yards out from where I was sitting and there was absolutely no way I could have pulled off a stalk had she been legal game. Still, it was fun to watch her and her fawn and they meandered about. I had better luck seeing game that day unlike my two hunting partners who were hiking all over hell and gone in that heat and used up all their water supply When we hooked back up they were badly dehydrated. It can get quite hot down here even in October and Novemeber. the Sonoran desert can be quite unforgiving.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like extending my range. I have killed coues spot and stalk at 10 yards with a bow, 90 yards with a 308, 517 yards with a 308 and 70 yards with a 25-06. I have also killed Mule deer from 32 yards with a bow to over 300 with my 308. However I like knowing I can shoot my rifle 650 yards effectively incase I find a huge buck on the flats that I have no options other than pass or shoot long range or if I am hunting a long wide canyon. For example, I guided with a friend at the Kaibab once that we were hunting a certain buck. the Canyon was over 600 yards. We did everything in our power to get as close as we could, but to get within the 400 yards meant we were invading the bucks bedding area. So we decided to get as close as we could cross canyon and it turned out to be 425 if I recall. There was no other option so we set up a plan and we killed him the following morning. He was prepared. As a guide all you can hope for is ask for a client to be prepared.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a guide, I would much prefer a client who was capable and confident in his shooting out to 700 yards, than one who could only shoot to 200 yards. Sometimes there are situations and shot opportunities that even the guide cannot control, and the result lies with the shooter wink Contrary to popular belief, guides don't design and create shooting situations. Stalking skills are invaluable, but even guides take what the mountain offers.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Typical.

Yep. Act like a dick head for no reason, I'm going to call you a dick head. That's how I am.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Funny, but I thought you were the dickhead.

Now what?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I sure can be, but I did nothing here to be a dick head besides ask a guy who has 33 years experience to post pictures. I never said he had to, I never challenged him, I never triple dog dared him, hell, I never said I didn't believe him on anything. Asked for pictures, and you were there talking schit, so yeah, you're the dick head.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1minute, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,152
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.